Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

USB size limit?

All,

I’d like to put some music on a USB drive to play in my car - playing via Bluetooth from my Iphone is killing the Battery!

Does anyone know if there’s a capacity limit to the infotainment system - will a 64Gb pen drive work? I’ve had a look in the manual but there’s no mention of a max size... any other file name/size/bitrate issues I should be aware of?

Car is a 2016 GSF.

Thanks!  

Thanks Roy. 

I couldn’t see anything like this in my handbook - despite being a relatively thick guide, because the system is so complex, each section is a bit... sparse! I’ve got an 8Gb and a 32Gb pen drive. I’ll try with both and update this thread later. A few threads from the US merely suggest that the initialisation of a larger drive takes longer, but only the first time it’s plugged in. No mention of capacity limits.

Ideally I’m aiming for a flush-fit USB device, as higher capacity as possible - like the Sandisk Ultra Fit - barely bigger than the USB connector itself! 

I have used a 64Gb USB in my 2016 RC, no problems. 

From my handbook (nothing mentioned about max capacity)

Compatible device formats
The following device format can be used:
• USB communication format: USB2.0 HS (480 Mbps) and FS (12 Mbps)
• File system format: FAT16/32 (Windows)
• Correspondence class: Mass storage class
MP3, WMA and AAC files written to a device with any format other than those
listed above may not play correctly, and their file names and folder names may not
be displayed correctly.
Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:
• Maximum directory hierarchy: 8 levels
• Maximum number of folders in a device: 3000 (including the root)
• Maximum number of files in a device: 9999
• Maximum number of files per folder: 255

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember ipod integration working better for me, so picked up a cheap second hand one from eBay. Could be an option if you encounter issues.
Saying that, I very rarely use it these days. Always use my phone and Bluetooth streaming.

On 12/01/2018 at 10:31 PM, mrfunex said:

NemesisUK - exactly what I was after! I still can’t find that section in my handbook...

Cheers! 

It's in the general owner's handbook, not the separate NAV handbook, under the "Using a External Device" section, page 369 in my version..

• Like 2

64gb should work fine.

Its the larger capacity USBs that can be a problem, more specifically 128gb and 256gb ones where owners have issues. 

TBH the issues are more to do with how long it takes to load the USB rather than playback problems

• Thanks 1

Just to finish this thread off, my 64Gb USB thingy arrived and it’s TINY! Barely any bigger than the USB connector itself! It wasn’t entirely without issues, though...

The radio in the GSF (presumably RCF and others with a USB music input too) **only** supports the FAT32 file format. Windows doesn’t officially support any drives larger than 32Gb unless on a NTFS or exFAT file system. Poop! 

However, there are a wealth of free programs out there that *can* format a drive bigger than this size limit to whatever file system you choose! Other options include using an Xbox360 to perform the format! Problem solved!

Now to spend all weekend filling the device with tunes for every occasion! 

658328A8-FF3E-4215-84EA-314511034330.jpeg

• Like 1