Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter - quick cleaning

colin79666

Yesterday was good weather wise for car washing (i.e. above freezing) so I thought I'd share my cleaning routine that I follow every 2 or 3 weeks depending on weather. I do about 250 miles a week so this is a clean every 500-750 miles across mixed roads in southern Scotland.

The aim of this isn't a super detail but something to keep the worst of the grim and road salt at bay and that can be completed in under an hour when the outside temperature isn't conducive to spending too long on the job! I prefer to do it with my own equipment as the stuff at the supermarket jet wash is rather harsh and can strip wax.

A couple of pictures first to show the built up of winter grime.pre-1.thumb.jpg.a96449103a39b52b02f5fa6f08c87ab9.jpg

pre-side.thumb.jpg.0e568ef0a0e91c67774fd17a341fe955.jpg

First up a good layer of snow foam to drag off the worst without risking scratching.foam-side.thumb.jpg.51eb265202219318ab964490e4fea6f4.jpg

After giving it 5 minutes to dwell and a light rinse with the pressure washer (nothing too fierce at this stage) about 90% of the dirt has been removed.postfoam-side.thumb.jpg.ce5d8e463280f52940fa2501808923b6.jpg

Next up are the wheels. I give each a spray of cleaner, give it a couple of minutes and then wash off at about 80% pressure.wheel.thumb.jpg.158927c22c50e7f55eded30223f6c601.jpg

Next up with the main wash. Speed is of the essence so I go with spraying on the wash/wax solution. I then wipe this over using 2 buckets and 2 wash mitts (one for the top and the other the lower parts).

spraying.thumb.jpg.dcdf186a111dc44c2c80297d15d9d43e.jpg

Finally the suds are rinsed off at 80% pressure and the windows cleaned. Results:finish-back.thumb.jpg.0fad9f5a03bab0735f15e00645f2a197.jpg

finish-side.thumb.jpg.18c6933e9cc177d6ed7f60b754330d28.jpg

Products used:

• Pressure washer - Karcher K4
  • Bog standard buckets, one with a Grit Guard
  • Wash Mitts - Meguiar's Lambs Wool
  • Foam lance - Elite Car Care
  • Foam - Bilt Hamber Auto Foam
  • Wheels - Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel Cleaner
  • Wash - Autoglym Pressure Wash
  • Windscreen - Autoglym Fast Glass
  • Other windows and mirrors - Rain X 2 in 1

I do a good clean in autumn including wax with Armour All Shield that lasts well into winter so the dirt doesn't stick too bad. Inside I apply Gtechniq I1 to rain/snow coming in doesn't soak the seats or carpet. Come late spring the clay bar will come out to remove the ingrained stuff like tar sports that have accumulated over winter and I'll spend a full day pouring over it.

• Like 5

Looks great! Good job there.

This car cleaning thing becomes a slippery slope of wanting to buy more stuff. My own Karcher K4 arrives tomorrow!

Do you agitate the product on the wheels or is that level of cleanliness you’ve achieved just as a result of the BH auto wheel and foam?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Looks great! Good job there.

This car cleaning thing becomes a slippery slope of wanting to buy more stuff. My own Karcher K4 arrives tomorrow!

Do you agitate the product on the wheels or is that level of cleanliness you’ve achieved just as a result of the BH auto wheel and foam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No agitation, just sprayed off with the pressure washer. Occasionally I’ll get the wheel brush out to get into all the corners, perhaps every 4th wash over winter. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links