Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

These Codes have been going on and off for a year now. I had it in the shop and they stated it was my sparkplugs, sparkplugs were replaced but codes cane back on soon again...

When I accelerate at times I get a rotten egg smell.

Has anybody had this?

What next steps should I take before throwing another 500-600 on parts that weren't the problem?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The codes indicate engine misfires. That comes down to plugs, coils or wiring. Odd that they're associated with rotten eggs smell and indeed that is usually a cat problem. Possibly the cats have been damaged with excess fuel (ie unburnt fuel from the misfiring cylinder(s))

What petrol do you use? Not supermarket fuel, I hope. Try using Shell V-power.

Was there some sort of fuelling event just before this all started?

The codes indicate engine misfires. That comes down to plugs, coils or wiring. Odd that they're associated with rotten eggs smell and indeed that is usually a cat problem. Possibly the cats have been damaged with excess fuel (ie unburnt fuel from the misfiring cylinder(s))
What petrol do you use? Not supermarket fuel, I hope. Try using Shell V-power.
Was there some sort of fuelling event just before this all started?
The fuel lines were replaced through the warramty repair?

I'm not sure if that could be a factor. I use premium gas at whichever station I'm at. I used to be a shell only, but there is no shell in feasible distance near me in my current location.

My wiring was also replaced.

**The mention of the rotten egg smell is that maybe it may have something to do with everything going on.

1 hour ago, Vtn2017 said:

This was what was all done to correct last shop visit:

b98e699935789b03516e1aadf93d80ae.jpg

Seems like a lot of guess work going on there. If the dealer or whoever were paying maybe they would be a bit more thorough.  

Hmm...hard to diagnose anything from that - except that you are in USA? Do you have an annual emissions check - if so, what did that say?

I think you need someone who can use an oscilloscope to diagnose where your misfire is and what is causing it. No point in trying to replace anything else or tackle the smell until that has been sorted out. It is just possible, although unlikely, that you have an internal engine problem - burned valve or broken piston ring so a compression test might be a good idea.

• Like 1

These Codes have been going on and off for a year now. I had it in the shop and they stated it was my sparkplugs, sparkplugs were replaced but codes cane back on soon again...

When I accelerate at times I get a rotten egg smell.

Has anybody had this?

What next steps should I take before throwing another 500-600 on parts that weren't the problem?

What's a good cataclean to buy. I sometimes have the rotten egg smell when I give the car hard acceleration.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I've also noticed a rotten egg smell in the 250 several times under hard acceleration (more so in cold tempratures)

Don't think it's anything to worry about. My vehicle has barely over 30k on the clock and passed every MOT with no advisories. Also has 5 Lexus and 2 Toyota service stamps in the book and no mention of any problems whatsoever. 

I've also noticed a rotten egg smell in the 250 several times under hard acceleration (more so in cold tempratures)
Don't think it's anything to worry about. My vehicle has barely over 30k on the clock and passed every MOT with no advisories. Also has 5 Lexus and 2 Toyota service stamps in the book and no mention of any problems whatsoever. 
It wouldn't be an issue however the smell is overwhelming to say the least and it happens often on the interstate which I drive everyday so I HAVE to get rid of it!

I bought cataclean and ran it through. We will see what happens. I hate having passengers in my car for the fact that they always comment on the smell and it definitely shouldn't be there (it's rotten).

I went ahead and changed my coils yesterday but engine light is still on so we'll see what is next

14 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

@Rebecca seems like you need to lay off the baked beans 😂

@Vtn2017 seriously though your problem is not normal and I'm pretty sure you will need to dip your hands into your pockets and dish out on new cats.

Best get it booked into your nearest Lexus auto centre or trusted auto mechanic for a diagnosis. 

I'm looking forward to hearing the verdict.

@Rebecca seems like you need to lay off the baked beans [emoji23]
[mention=60194]Vtn2017[/mention] seriously though your problem is not normal and I'm pretty sure you will need to dip your hands into your pockets and dish out on new cats.
Best get it booked into your nearest Lexus auto centre or trusted auto mechanic for a diagnosis. 
I'm looking forward to hearing the verdict.

Wouldn't the catalytic converter code be registering if they were bad?

(Just curious)

I'm thinking internal engine problem for my codes [emoji854] but maybe I just have a hidden skunk for the rotton egg smell.

The first problem you need to solve is the misfiring - I assume those codes are still returning if you clear them? If you manage to restore, or replace, the cats they will just be poisoned again by the unburnt fuel from the misfire. I don't think there's a code as such for failed cat - you'll just get a code for lambda being out of range. Odd that you don't seem to have that but  Techstream will show the lambda readings from the downstream oxygen sensors.

Get hold of Techstream - that will show which cylinders are misfiring and to what extent - see this pic:ts.thumb.jpg.36ad522811b6392efeca6ecef40348a5.jpg

That screen shows no misfires, but during the half hour or so that I was running the engine to take that and other shots, one or two misfires did show up later.

It is also a little concerning that you are smelling rotten eggs inside the car. It is true that you can smell Hydrogen Sulfide in very small concentrations  (it is detectable at less than 1 part per billion) but it does imply that exhaust gas is getting into the car. Check for any leaks - eg trunk seals and try differnt heater settings (fresh air/ recirculate, fan speeds). Keep the windows shut.

Try using different fuel - some gas contains more sulfur than others - the Bakken deposits are rumoured to have particularly high levels of sulfur - maybe your gas is coming from there? But that would be affecting everyone and there's no evidence of that.

Hydrogen Sulfide is extremely dangerous - you should not drive long distances if you can smell it strongly. And one of its effects is to deaden your sense of smell, so you smell it less as time goes by.