Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Decisions Decisions

Hi, after a bit of advice from maybe some unbiased posters ha

I currently own a Lexus IS300 (4.5yrs) and a Jaguar S-type R (3.5yrs)

Which would be the best out of these 2 to have as a daily driver. I am currently looking at both models

Lexus ISF or Jaguar XFR

My lexus honestly has been the best car i have owned after 2 previous IS200's

My STR has the usual mods, pulley upgrade, re-map, caldoofy intake, WOT mod, Adamesh exhausts, currently running 370WHP, 440Crank hp

Would the ISF be much difference in performance??

I know about the reliability of the Lexus, thats why I am more heading in that direction, my budget is upto £20K

Cheers

Andy 

• Like 1

How about this fine example just posted last night?

I've known people have the S-Type R's from new, and do have a soft spot for them, despite some reliability issues he encountered.
In a straight line with your mods, I'm not sure there would be much difference. The IS-F does have a better gearbox, so that could well give it a good advantage.
Around corners and general handling, it would be like night and day. I suggest taking one for a test drive if you havn't already.
XFR is going to be similar to the IS-F, but I would rate Lexus reliability higher than the Jag. I know a few people who have had various issues with the standard XF. I did a tour around scotland with one in a group of cars (some over 20 years old) and it was the only one to break down!

• Like 1

yeah tell me about jag reliability. I have ploughed more into the STR than i bought it for, still bang for buck you wont get a better price/performance car for the money. I just want reliability to be honest. 

Is the facelift version much better than pre ?

Thanks

There you are you’ve found your next car in your last sentence.......reliability 

ive been fortunate over the years or unfortunate depending where you stand to have had the M3’s M5’s Porsche gt’s turbo’s and so on and was late to the lexus game.

Boy  I’m glad I did it  at least now when I set off on a journey I know I will get back without being on the back of a low loader.

Pound for pound performance they are hard to beat, and an atmospheric engine is a better long term reliability proposition than a turbo, especially engines built the way Lexus do.

Now about @emjay82 Grey beauty above what’s your offer:whistling:

Big Rat 

The common denominator here is reliability, but then you already knew that, the Jag sounds interesting!!! looking at the BHP figure i would expect very similar performance from the ISF, i am on my 5th Lexus and second "F V8" and have not had a single issue.

The later cars come with revised suspension, not sure there is a massive difference, LSD and different instruments, engines are identical, as ever buy one with history and if possible from a member on here and enjoy years of trouble free grinning....................

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@Mark G "Trouble free Grinning "........... like this you mean :whistling:IMG_0391.thumb.JPG.dc69ec5247ba1784b36cd0c72b394e11.JPG

Could be that...............................

Or it could be this................Oh wait........................

Police Kemble.jpg

• Like 1

@Mark G Got  to be one of my favourite pics of our numerous meets, you could have endless fun making insulting remarks........

Not if course that either of us would ever indulge in that sort......... of........ behaviour 

🐀

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark G said:

Police Kemble.jpg

I had just got out of this car after @Mark G had taken me for a little ride. Very impressive. Not a hard decision at all and the one offered on LOC is lovely. You know you deserve it...

John (who doesn't )

• Like 2

On 1/16/2018 at 6:51 AM, rd350ypvs said:

Which would be the best out of these 2 to have as a daily driver. I am currently looking at both models

Lexus ISF or Jaguar XFR

Interestingly enough I started to look at XFR's recently as they are generally newer cars and seems to be selling for amazing prices now.

However, as you put it - you want daily driver. If I read it right that means many miles and Lexus being bulletproof reliable it is almost nobrainer to get anything else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Interestingly enough I started to look at XFR's recently as they are generally newer cars and seems to be selling for amazing prices now.

However, as you put it - you want daily driver. If I read it right that means many miles and Lexus being bulletproof reliable it is almost nobrainer to get anything else.

Stay away from the XFR!

This was my alternative choice when I got my ISF last year too. They are no more reliable than your STR would be once you start racking the miles up. Be prepared for the 'gearbox fault' limp modes at every verse end and endless misfires that both seem to be totally fine as soon as you get to the dealer and pay 'em £150 for a fruitless diagnostic check.

I loved my STR for the ride, styling and power  but it cost me the same as the car cost me to own it for two years and it had every conceivable issue. From what the head tech at Solihull Jag told me in good faith, the XFR's are no better.

Get an ISF and relax for the rest of your life!

• Like 3