Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I thought it was ...miles, not months! :winkiss:

From the above post, looks as if a 2005 GS might do?

I prefer the more upright entry; I borrowed a 2005(?) IS once-kept catching my head on the door frame!

Modern sloping cars! Not to mention the tendency for windows to be like pillbox slits! (Slight exageration...)

3 hours ago, cruisermark said:

Sounds tempting - or atleast a contender if the LS owners want a change - enjoy - and IIRC you always say we all like pictures!

I've posted some pictures in the GS section.  I think it really is a great contender for an LS owner who maybe wants something a tad more modern, or like me, just fancying a change.  It certainly doesn't feel like the second pressing of the grape compared to an LS, they're both great cars.

I agree Phil, I've just bought a 2006 GS300 and I'm very pleased with the economy, quietness and quality feel.  Despite being slightly smaller than my old LS400 I don't feel short changed but the sloping design does mean that I caught my head a few times and I'm only 5ft 10''.........the V6 also feels creamy smooth and despite loosing 2 cyclinders and a whole litre, it's quiet and powerful.  I've only had her for a day so it's too early to comment on the full experience but so far so good.....Mark.

• Like 1

hmmmmmmm  .....  trunk capacity on the GS300 is only 280 litres .........................  whereas on the Ls400 it is 13.9 cu.ft = 393.6 litres  

on a Grand Tour of Europe that extra boot space in the Ls400 might be useful   :whistling1: 

Malc

57 minutes ago, Malc said:

hmmmmmmm  .....  trunk capacity on the GS300 is only 280 litres .........................  whereas on the Ls400 it is 13.9 cu.ft = 393.6 litres  

on a Grand Tour of Europe that extra boot space in the Ls400 might be useful   :whistling1: 

Malc

That's true enough, although the GS boot is still large.  As I generally look like a vagrant I don't tend to use much luggage space when going away, thus giving ample space for my wife's bags!  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Farqui said:

Parker's shows the GS 300 boot at 430 litres

and I've just read the RAC review for the 2005/2012 GS300 and it says  " over 500 ltrs "  ............  wow. well done, you can take your stuff too now :wink3:

How did I get that first post so wrong !  I know i did read a review on the GS300 from somewhere ...........  the problem is I read too much and believe what i read :w00t: 

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

and I've just read the RAC review for the 2005/2012 GS300 and it says  " over 500 ltrs "  ............  wow. well done, you can take your stuff too now :wink3:

How did I get that first post so wrong !  I know i did read a review on the GS300 from somewhere ...........  the problem is I read too much and believe what i read :w00t: 

Malc

It's not a problem Malcolm, I knew the non Hybrid boot was considerably larger as I mulled over it's lugging ability when I chose my GS. 

This topic inspired me to look into towbar options again for the GS450H and I found a few online suppliers that appear to be much cheaper than the £800 to £1.3k I've seen quote from stealers on here :huh:

Oh dear, now you've got me looking at GS300s, when I should be working, I do not have any cash, and I am wondering whether to just get my LS sorted.

Always like the GS, and probably would be an owner by now if I had not been seduced by Mk3 LS back 9 years ago.

Maybe I could get the missus to ditch her X-type for a GS (she did consider one 4 years ago - but the X-type caught her attention).  But somehow I think this idea is non-runner as she keeps looking at Audi A3s.

47 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Oh dear, now you've got me looking at GS300s, when I should be working, I do not have any cash, and I am wondering whether to just get my LS sorted.

Well this post prompted me to have a look on eBay, seems >most of the ones I looked at< had some issue or other. The last I looked at was the 121k miles below, he says: ''WANTS EXHAUST REPAIR FOR TEST,'', he obviously cannot read as an MOT history check showed 8 points of failure on the MOT..reg, NXO2VSN

What needs sorting out on your LS?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Always like the GS, and probably would be an owner by now if I had not been seduced by Mk3 LS back 9 years ago.

Maybe I could get the missus to ditch her X-type for a GS (she did consider one 4 years ago - but the X-type caught her attention).  But somehow I think this idea is non-runner as she keeps looking at Audi A3s.

To be honest it was being in friends IS250c that made me think about changing, the dash is very similar, and the quality is fantastic.  As I've said, I'll always have a soft spot for the LS, but I'm so smitten with the GS (so far) that I can't see me going back to one.

This older one should have appealed to you Colour wise Phil.   Pricey and I've not looked at the MOT history. Are they not a bit thirsty in comparison to the LS range?   My prevoious S320 straight six was far more thirsty than the two 5litre V8's I owned as I recall.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-GS-300-3-0-auto-SE/323003009416?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3D651c8f68875d4d1a82bffdec2db7912f%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122802054605&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

28 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

This older one should have appealed to you Colour wise Phil.   Pricey and I've not looked at the MOT history. Are they not a bit thirsty in comparison to the LS range?   My prevoious S320 straight six was far more thirsty than the two 5litre V8's I owned as I recall.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-GS-300-3-0-auto-SE/323003009416?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3D651c8f68875d4d1a82bffdec2db7912f%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122802054605&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

I think the gen 3 is a much nicer shape.  I got 38mpg on my way back from Bournemouth doing 70-80 so I'm more than happy with that.

• Like 1

What does it drive like. I've had 2 GS MK2 300's, "r" reg and "51" reg and both didn't drive straight, wandered all the time and on the GS forum lots of others had the same problem.

9 hours ago, 39buss said:

What does it drive like. I've had 2 GS MK2 300's, "r" reg and "51" reg and both didn't drive straight, wandered all the time and on the GS forum lots of others had the same problem.

It drives completely straight and feels solid.  It's the kind of car that gives you confidence if you know what I mean. While I'm at it I think I should apologise as this post has been well and truly highjacked!

1 hour ago, LexusLarry said:

That's my Lexus so if you have any questions fire away!

I've moved to a 2006 GS300 and have to say I really miss the sense of refinement from the LS, it's just a more serene and comfortable place to be and even after a 7hr journey I don't feel like I've been travelling which I can't say for the GS at the moment. I'm trying new tyres on the GS as Cross Climates made a big difference on the LS and I've found a place that may be able to lighten the steering too but it's £950 so a fairly big commitment.

So do you prefer the MK2 or 3?

On 17/01/2018 at 9:30 AM, cruisermark said:

I quite liked the Mk2 to drive, steering seemed lighter than the Mk3's I've driven and the suspension seemed more supple but it could be the old tyres on my Mk3 that's marring that perception so I'll hold judgement on that until I do a tyre refresh. Toys and looks wise I prefer the Mk3.

• Like 1

I had a mk2 GS430 which was a great car, fast, comfortable, all the toys and in the same great colour as my current LS430. I’ve also had a mk3 GS450h, although my ownership was short lived due to hybrid problems and the dealer taking it back and giving me a refund I loved that car, it was silver with cream leather and it was indecently quick!!! There really isn’t much out there that can keep up with one, with the instant torque of the electric motor and CVT transmission acceleration from a standing start was relentless and seamless. It’s also novel when you stand at traffic lights in complete silence as the engine shuts down then as soon as it’s time to go it leaps to life in an instant. I found it very comfortable too with a just about perfect driving position and it really does feel solid and inspires confidence. It averaged around 30mpg day to day and around 40mpg on a run. The ride on mine was quite firm possibly because of the 18” wheels and also the shocks on the 450h are different and are a common fault which are extremely expensive if they need replacing. I would have another but I’m a bit once bitten twice shy about the hybrid system which is absolutely brilliant whilst it’s working but can very quickly become a very expensive nightmare if it goes wrong.

Having said all that I’m perfectly smitten with my current LS430 I bought from Phil. What I feel the LS has which the GS lacks is more road presence, sense of occasion and the car just feels a bit more special to me. Also I just love the softer ride with that V8 motor which delivers its power so effortlessly, I could drive it all day long!!! It’s certainly a car where you know you’ll feel better at the end of your journey than you did before you started it.

What was this thread about again?? 😂😂😂

• Like 2