Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 cambelt advice please

Hi to all is200 owners not sure where I'm surpose to post. Need advice please I have a is200 sport currently on 112000 miles cambelt was done at 635000 by previous owner in June 2009 I haven' had it done I know it' short on milege but I know it' due on time my question is can I leave it till later this year as at the moment just after Christmas things are tight but at the same time don' want it to snap what are people s thoughts on it cheers

To be honest the choice is yours,you can have it done or take the risk and leave it in the hope that it doesn't snap. I personally would play safe rather than be sorry 

Going to bite the bullet and get it done my mechnic at my local garage asked me if the water pump was driven off the cam belt I looked and I said I don' think so. So it' just the belt and tensioners could have done without the expense but I don' want my car to die I'll wait back to hear from him thank you for your messages on this everyone

You're doing the right thing. For their age these cars are relatively trouble free. I hear you when you say things are tight but it would be a shame to lose one through cutting corners.

Just a quick update so my local mechanic has quoted me 325.00 to replace the belt I'm just in the frame of mind to leave it now as I only do 2500 miles a year the car is not a daily driver but I do want to ask the question why do manufacturers use belts and not chains as this kind of maintenance is very expensive not happy

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2018 at 12:30 AM, Georgelexusis200sportlsd said:

Just a quick update so my local mechanic has quoted me 325.00 to replace the belt I'm just in the frame of mind to leave it now as I only do 2500 miles a year the car is not a daily driver but I do want to ask the question why do manufacturers use belts and not chains as this kind of maintenance is very expensive not happy

They use belts so people who don't know what they're doing either risk having their engine destroyed with a belt snapping or swallow the charges garages ask. I bought this car because the timing belt is relatively easy to change and I needed a comfy car that can go a bit.