Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

QI Phone Charging Tray

The facelifted NX comes with a larger charging tray which accommodates larger phones, such as the Iphone Plus, Samsung S8+ and other LG v30 (mine!), which do not fit in the MK1 charging tray.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to replace the 1NX charging tray with the one now fitted in the 2NX?

Thank you.

No but I'd be very interested to find out. My phone contract ends this month and I've been trying to find modern phones that have wireless charging capability and will fit (< 140mm). There don't seem to be many. The only one I've found so far is the Iphone 8 and I wanted to stick with Android. Given that phones have been getting steadily larger for years you'd have thought they'd have put something bigger in the 1NX. At the moment mine is just a useless obstruction in the storage box.

Well, I recently changed, and I can recommend the LG V30. Good deals on mobiles.co.uk

The phone does not fit flat in the tray and sticks out, however if position correctly it does charge. My concern is that, as it does not fit flat in the tray, it is likely to move while travelling and stop charging without me knowing about it.

I have now quizzed dealer who promised to look into this. I will have more info when I pick the car up at the weekend.

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Well, I recently changed, and I can recommend the LG V30. Good deals on mobiles.co.uk

The phone does not fit flat in the tray and sticks out, however if position correctly it does charge. My concern is that, as it does not fit flat in the tray, it is likely to move while travelling and stop charging without me knowing about it.

I have now quizzed dealer who promised to look into this. I will have more info when I pick the car up at the weekend.

Yes, can be done

Just depends on how much you want to fork out for a QI charging plate which is actually much slower than fast charging at home

I only really use it on long drives with my S8 but even then, its not brilliant and the phone gets crazy hot

My RX one has a magnet in it which moves around the phone moves around (not that it does) but it shouldn't stop charging.

Good to know. Thanks Rayaan.

I should find out the cost on Saturday and will report back. Not sure I will go for it as I may not need it: my new phone seems to last a lot longer on a full charge that my previous one ever did.

7 hours ago, DanD said:

Good to know. Thanks Rayaan.

I should find out the cost on Saturday and will report back. Not sure I will go for it as I may not need it: my new phone seems to last a lot longer on a full charge that my previous one ever did.

You could also just get a USB charger that plugs into the 12v socket - same area I guess so would be a much more cost effective solution

All good suggestions and I will no doubt buy a charger for the car. It's just a shame not to be able to use the charging tray since it's there.

The phone will actually charge if I place it in a specific way, but then I cannot close the armrest!

I'd rather ditch my charging tray and get easier access to the storage underneath to be honest. Phones don't need to be charged every journey, they just need to be charged when the charge level drops low. Most of the time I charge my phone at home and it's fine all the time I'm in the car and the only time I need to charge it in the car via a USB lead and plug into the 12V charging socket is when I've forgotten to charge it at home or wherever I am. I tend to think the charging tray is an answer to a problem that doesn't exist and one which creates a bigger problem than it seeks to address.

• 3 weeks later...

I have received a response from my dealer on this, stating that they had checked with Lexus  and come to the conclusion that the cost would be prohibitive due to  different size centre console and different control units and wiring looms. They did price it up, and parts alone would add to around £2,500, without any certainty that it would work.

That's that then.