Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What kind of WiFi do you mean ? I'm aware of 2:

- Hot spot for your mobile devices

- Sat nav Wifi for the connected services. Before that it was over Bluetooth.

Hot spot is post facelift option as far I know so 2016. WiFi is gen 8 sat nav so 2015+ but someone mentioned here that even some 2015 models got gen 7 navigation where bluetooth was used.

As for Bluetooth it is working fine so this WiFi is not so big deal. Unless you are after some different features that new navigation is brining if any. 

3 minutes ago, Hangie said:

Ive just found this:

http://blog.lexus.co.uk/hotspot-brings-wifi-to-your-lexus/

looks like it is an accessory installed by dealer and can be added to every single gen4 in just 1h.

A TP-Link M7350 will give you a hotspot for £62. Works fine for me and can come with me when I leave the car.

See https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-LTE-Advanced-Unlocked-M7350-V4/dp/B06XC16QC1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516216333&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=TP-Link+M7350&psc=1

John

• Like 2

Yes of course there is a lot of aftermarket devices. Main benefit of the Lexus accessory one will be wire connection to a power source - no more worries about Battery. On mobile side both probably will be LTE and WiFi side is not really important. It would be nice if accessory one could use some external mobile antenna but I doubt it is so clever :)

At the it depend what is the price difrence. 1h Labour by itself can be pricy to just start with.

ps. I’ve read the whole article. £370 for just 3G.... I would rather buy tp-link or huawei :)

Edited by Hangie

On  my GS 300h there is  Lexus hotspot, ad it works fine even if it's somewhat outdated today because only HDSPA,  not supporting LTE network. Nonetheless it has diversity antennas and the internet link is more stable compared to cell phones or aftemarket hotspots. Being rather expensive I would NOT buy it, but I found it in my car already mounted and I am happy with it.

On 17/01/2018 at 7:32 PM, Hangie said:

Yes of course there is a lot of aftermarket devices. Main benefit of the Lexus accessory one will be wire connection to a power source - no more worries about battery. On mobile side both probably will be LTE and WiFi side is not really important. It would be nice if accessory one could use some external mobile antenna but I doubt it is so clever :)

At the it depend what is the price difrence. 1h Labour by itself can be pricy to just start with.

ps. I’ve read the whole article. £370 for just 3G.... I would rather buy tp-link or huawei :)

I put mine in the centre arm rest box where there is a cigar lighter socket. I use a little USB  power supply in the socket. Much neater than the one shown on the Lexus blog stuck on the side - most unLexus like.

John

I’m sure as my children get older and start to acquire phones and demand Wi-fi everywhere we go I might think differently, but isn’t this necessity of connectivity solved more easily by putting your normal everyday phone in hotspot mode and ensuring you have a healthy monthly data plan?

I’m all for in car tech but in the nicest possible way I’m sure sure I’ve yet understood the need for a car with its own Wi-fi.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Andrew

I agree with your solution. I my case I have the little MiFi because the property I go to has no WiFi and my wife's phone has a very limited data allowance.

What data SIMs do people buy? I use EE because their 4G signal is good at the property (nothing else is) and always buy new SIM rather than topping up which is very expensive.

John

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links