Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amazing car Phil @The-Acre! Many, many congratulations! Sorry for missing your other post when you were looking for me - have been away on hols and with work :(

Looks like you have a fab car. Loving the colour combo too! Happy motoring & all the best on the road trip!

Now back to trying to sell mine...

• Like 1

I got my dashboard rattle *mostly* fixed when my car went into the dealers for the airbag recall. They fitted new clips and it's mostly silent now (*except in very cold weather)

However, beforehand, I was considering trying this stuff. Same principiple as the felt but maybe a tad neater and less 'homebrew'??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dashboard-Windshield-Anti-dust-Noise-Insulation-Sealing-Strip-Natural-Rubber-AS0-/253273678820?roken=cUgayN 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bobmc said:

I got my dashboard rattle *mostly* fixed when my car went into the dealers for the airbag recall. They fitted new clips and it's mostly silent now (*except in very cold weather)

However, beforehand, I was considering trying this stuff. Same principiple as the felt but maybe a tad neater and less 'homebrew'??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dashboard-Windshield-Anti-dust-Noise-Insulation-Sealing-Strip-Natural-Rubber-AS0-/253273678820?roken=cUgayN 

Actually that looks like an excellent idea!

I think that's a great idea, I have a rattle from my rear tailgate I suspect, I've just ordered some. I'm loving this thread, I just wish I could justify a second car, the GS450h is so lovely and absolutely rapid from a test drive I had a few years ago.

The only bit of so called "dash creak" I had was in the middle between the clock & air vents & fixing it was as simple as putting a small piece of old credit card in the gap as shown worked a treat, since I took the picture I've pushed it in a bit further so its invisible.

2018-02-10_12_27_02.jpg

• Like 1

It really varies, some have loads of creaks, some none.  Before I bought the one I have I tried a 55 reg GS300 with scabby wheels and some panel damage but no creaks.  On the same day I tried an almost immaculate 55 reg GS430 and it sounded like the Mary Rose at sea.  

This is the rubber I put between the dash and windscreen that made all the difference.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W002-uPVC-Window-Door-Wedge-Gasket-Double-Glazing-Rubber-Repair-Seal-PVC/232010232733?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=531203808284&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

While I'm at it, I read a review that said the GS uses oil, is this anyone's experience?

It really varies, some have loads of creaks, some none.  Before I bought the one I have I tried a 55 reg GS300 with scabby wheels and some panel damage but no creaks.  On the same day I tried an almost immaculate 55 reg GS430 and it sounded like the Mary Rose at sea.  
This is the rubber I put between the dash and windscreen that made all the difference.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W002-uPVC-Window-Door-Wedge-Gasket-Double-Glazing-Rubber-Repair-Seal-PVC/232010232733?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=531203808284&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
While I'm at it, I read a review that said the GS uses oil, is this anyone's experience?

No oil usage or creaking on mine.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, stevet said:

No oil usage or creaking on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, no creaks and have never topped up with oil in 8 years of ownership. Car now just over 10 years old with 65K miles on the  clock. I have averaged about 5.5K miles p.a. over the last 8 years. Serviced once a year when they obviously change the oil.

38 minutes ago, Initial P said:

There is a review on the auto trader user reviews saying about heavy oil usage on 05-06 engines and carbon build up.

Did the engine change then from 06?

From Auto Trader user reviews:
Beware significant engine problems on 05-06 GS300 models.

RoadWarrior32 | 20th April '14

I bought my GS300 SE-L to replace a very reliable BMW 525i and given it was a Lexus, it just did not occur to me to conduct my usual extensive research as I just assumed reliability would be bulletproof. Well it isn't!!

The 300 has a DI V6, which Lexus launched with the GS in 2005 and it's the DI which causes carbon deposits to build up in the engine, which effectively strangles the engine, causing excessive oil consumption, low oil pressure and sometimes complete engine failure. O5-06 engines also suffer with defective piston rings, which effectively worsens the oil consumption to the extent that owners are often driving around with low oil levels in between services, which in turn can cause premature failure of the engine over time.

I found out the hard way when my 06 GS300 with Full service history and around 60k miles started to make a rattling noise, followed by a loss of oil pressure. Subsequent investigation found the engine filled with a sludge like substance, despite scheduled services with the correct synthetic oil.

You are looking at a bill for over four thousand pounds to rebuild the engine and this will not stop the carbon deposits returning as they a result of the DI. I believe Lexus redesigned the engine in 07 to address both issues but I'm done with Lexus, so you will have to do your own research.

Just search LEXUS GS300 Oil Consumption, Carbon Build Up or Piston Rings for more detailed info.