Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I am currently looking at a few LS600’s and can’t make a decision on which version would be the best buy. I like the idea of the RSR option, however, I don’t actually need it, but will it hold its value better over the next few years, or maybe it’s just something else to go wrong!

There doesn’t appear to be a massive differential in the market value at the moment even though the RSR option was a 9k option I think?

What are people’s thoughts!

Thanks

Steve

Well if you have family/kids go for the standard version - if not or if it’s a business purchase then maybe rsr will be a better option - I’m not sure how often the feature gets used especially at thIs age of the vehicle when it’s purchased by private individuals. Personally the massage and recline function in my 430 has been used a handful of time in the 5 years I’ve had it.

If I ever upgrade to the 600 I will probably go for the standard version as I have family and therefore valuable space will not be lost in the back.

i have noticed that most 600hs have the rsr.

If I was after one I'd probably go for the RSR.  My kids definitely use the recline function in the rear of my 430 (I would too if I had the chance) but the massage sadly seems more of a novelty.  Perhaps it's better in the 600?

Steve, Steve,

Take a moment. Deep breath. You don’t “need” the options. Since when has this held any real relevance other than in justification for a purchase? 

So, if you want the car, the extras become a need. If you really can’t rationalise your need for these valuable baubles...next level is “nice to have” as the car is exactly what you need anyway.

Always buy up, as those extras will help you sell on in the rare event you sell a Lexus. Oh and how they make you feel better. Unless you’re a pokey dealer. Then you really don’t give a ****...you just polish it, and over sell it. You know those adds that make the features look like their extras when they are standard. That.

Thanks all

I think I am just trying to get my head around whether if there are two cars of similar value, mileage and condition, should I go for the RSR even though I don’t ‘need’ it, as it may hold its value better in future years, or be easier to sell when I upgrade it to a LS850 in 10 years!

I do like the toys associated with the RSR option as well, and it looks cool when in use.

As a footnote, not sure why I am coming up as a new member, been a member here, albeit dormant for years, having had a MK1 LS400 and a Mk4(now with my parents), and an LS430, and my wife had a IS300 Sportcross from almost new for donkeys years, she couldn’t face letting it go, so that is now with our son!

Cheers

Steve

10 hours ago, Tinonline said:

Take a moment. Deep breath. You don’t “need” the options. Since when has this held any real relevance other than in justification for a purchase? 

Interesting thought though about 'options' and our perceived need for them. I'm not sure we need many of the standard fittings to cars these days. Forget things like sat nav, interweb access or buttons on the steering wheel. Not sure we actually need electric windows!

Right, I'm off to the Dacia owners club! :yahoo:

4 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

Interesting thought though about 'options' and our perceived need for them. I'm not sure we need many of the standard fittings to cars these days. Forget things like sat nav, interweb access or buttons on the steering wheel. Not sure we actually need electric windows!

In your new top of the range Dacia, Al, with all bells and whistles ?  :):):)

10 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

In your new top of the range Dacia, Al, with all bells and whistles ?  :):):)

I don't think the top of the range Dacia comes with my 'need'. I don't know how I could live without the rear blinds or ICE controls in the rear armrest! 

The problem I find with 'extras' is that once you have them you feel you'd be lost without them. It seems great to have all these things that you can adjust and play with but generally after you've set them to how you like they don't get touched again.

• Like 1

In my opinion now after i have a car with so many toys but without the RSR , i would choose any of them , depending on the price , mileage , condition . My LWB still has heated and cooled seats with a bit of recline in them , rear dvd screen but that is played from the front DVD and all the climate and audio controls from the armrest in the back + blinds . 

It depends if you would really have someone to use them , for example kids , but other than that they will not be used much . Also in case someone use them you always need to remember and check that they have not left the heating or the cooling of the seat on , very different temperatures . You either check them every time , either disable them from the front console every time someone has been in . 

It will be nice to show it off to friends every time but depending on your personality you might also be annoyed as they might leave a bit of mess every time when they do it . 

Go , have a look at both , drive them if possible and chose after , don't set your mind on just one and miss the other . 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, doro708 said:

and all the climate and audio controls from the armrest in the back 

I guess these are aimed at owners who have a driver and sit in the back. I've got them in my GS which seems a bit daft as if you can afford a driver I guess you can afford an LS! Had my GS 9 months now and the only time they've been used is when the missus sat in the back for a short journey and played with them. She only did it cause it was there and annoyed the hell out of me. Was listening to music on random play and if something came on that she didn't like she forwarded to the next track, despite my thoughts!

5 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

The problem I find with 'extras' is that once you have them you feel you'd be lost without them. It seems great to have all these things that you can adjust and play with but generally after you've set them to how you like they don't get touched again.

I thought soft close doors were a total gimmick until I got my LS. Now I am lost without them. Literally, as I set off to walk away from friends' cars having given the door a gentle push, and discovering it is nowhere near closed.

• Like 1

I have the rsr package in mine and kids love it and is used all the time , ive used it once personally but only when it was parked up as i dont allow anyone else to drive my car ..... when i first started looking at a 600 i had the same thoughts as yourself, i like my gadgets and alway personally go for the best model and options on a car plus thinking of when i do sell it it should stick out more in the market than just a standard model

2006-2009 LS600hL with rsr are 2 seaters in rear

2010 upwards are 3 seater in rear with rsr

On 24/01/2018 at 9:13 AM, Ala Larj said:

So in 20 years time will it be "Not sure we actually need a steering wheel"?:wheelchair:

I tried an otterman RSR 600, (available only as an option in the LWB model)  and was surprised that when fully extended my feet still came into contact with the front seat even though the front seat did move fully forward automatically.   At 5ft 10in I expected to be able to recline fully without my feet touching any part of the front seat.    Having said that I do prefer the 4 seat version of the early LS600h's  with the RSR . The big centre rear console and the separate DVD player arrangement made for a magnificent large 4 seater. 

Still can't find one in Siena Red though. 

6 hours ago, charltonfc said:

Thanks chaps....all things considered it looks like the RSR option for me....I like gadgets and something different...:-)

A Sam Bartram Goalkeepers Cap on the rear parcel shelf would make it look unique !  :):):)

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

A Sam Bartram Goalkeepers Cap on the rear parcel shelf would make it look unique !  :):):)

Sam Bartram Played on with a broken neck, that's when men were men a bit different from most of today's overpaid players?

I've just looked on Autotrader and I agree definitely the RSR as it looks the business.  I have two young kids who would love that, they use the recline / heated seat function in the back all the time.  However I could definitely see future problems for putting pals in the car and me Mum etc.  

If you dont meind me asking what's your budget?  Once you do get one you'll have to let us all know how you get on.

Hi Nick

No problem...max of £20k, that includes all associated costs, so there are a few nice looking ones out there for that money, unfortunately all to far for me to just go and have a look easily, so I have just been talking to a few dealers, got pictures and videos etc, however, they are all sticking pretty firm with the price so haven’t made a deal as yet, probably because I haven’t seen it in the flesh, so remain a bit more reticent I guess.

hoping to sort a deal out by the weekend!

cheers

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Are you confusing Sam with Bert Trautman, Mike ?

Yes, stupid me. Getting old really does mess with the memory. Didn't even get the right name. The only thing I had correct was that Sam & Bert were both goalkeepers, well I would have if I had mentioned that Sam was a goalkeeper as well.

• Like 1