Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

800 quid for half an exhaust system! WTF!?

My 2005 GS300 MK3 needs a new mid section - the Y piece with the 2 secondary cats. Too corroded to weld apparently, starting to blow quite badly.

So the only place I can find to get a new one is Lexus themselves, and they want 793 frickin quid. And that's the trade price. That is ridiculous!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace this section of the exhaust for a more sensible price? Im pretty sure none of us would be happy to pay that much for 2 steel pipes and a couple of tiny cats. Someone must have a cheaper solution? All ideas gratefully received!

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

I've no idea where you live, but my brother in law had his GS450h centre section fixed here for less than half of what you've been quoted :-

http://xtremestainless.co.uk/

They also sorted the equivalent section on my wife's Volvo S40 2.4 a few years ago, and it's still going strong.

Hope this helps!

Brian.

Another vote for Tony Banks here, I got new s/s mid and rear sections for less than your dealer quote.

Or do you specifically want an OEM replacement? Any on eBay/etc? Or are any available from RockAuto.com?

• Like 1

Any custom steel exhaust place will smash that price to pieces and be much better quality to. I had my y cut out and a stainless y made and installed, 125 all in.

Cheers guys, do the custom places include the secondary cats in the midsections they build? If not, and I do away with the secondary cats, will the primary cats be working harder? And is it legal to remove cats, even if they are secondary?

So many questions! [emoji3]

• 2 weeks later...

Went to TGS in Stockport, he cut out the rusted mid box and replaced it with a lovely stainless one, hooked up to the stainless rear silencers I already had. So, I can now say I have a full cat-back stainless system. He said the secondary cats where in good nick, so I'm happy. £160, nice.

Well, I say happy, still need to sort out the P0420 code and looks like the primary cats are failing. I feel another thread coming on!

Do these Stainless steel retain the silence like the OEM as quite a few years ago i had a stainless steel fitted on to a SCORPIO and i sounded like a tractor never ever bothered with them after that