Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cooled seats is IS-F

I thought I know pretty much everything when it comes to IS mk2 options, but apparently there are still much to learn. Recently, I was slagging-off BMW M3 for not having ventilated seats (generally that is very rare on any BMW) "in comparison with IS-F" and argued with friend it would be the feature which I would greatly miss, or which I would potentially consider retrofitting if I would get one.

I have completely missed that IS-F comes with only heated seats and there is no option of cooled seats. What is that - weight saving?! Seat cooling is just a fan.. what weights in the seats are the electronic adjustment, not cooling ... bizarre. Anyone have other thoughts? 

Looking at perforated leather I always wrongly assumed that they are cooled like in standard IS... I have once made this mistake when talking about F-Sport, but then I had excuse - F-sport I have had previously was EU spec. and had heated/cooled seats like any other IS, but UK spec. comes with those Alcantara seats (which I hate) and has no ventilation.

I would never have thought that to be the case on IS-F as well:

Lexus IS F 5.0 4dr - Gallery additional image 17

• Like 1

My previous 56 plate is250 had heated and cooled seat, the ISF doesn't. It was quite a nice touch but the Mrs did used to say it made a noise and sounded like being sat on an aeroplane (cabin pressurisation) 😂.  The ISF seats are different in their construction,  so perhaps the clearance wasn't enough to add the fan/blower, or there are some reliability issues with the fan so they didn't bring it into the ISF. I did think the same thing at first but I don't miss the cooled seats in the ISF. If all else fails,  if you drive fast enough in the ISF with the windows open you do get a lovely breeze throughout the whole car, even on a hot day 😉 

• Like 1

My old 2005 GS430 had them and they worked a treat. That was 8 yrs old when i bought it so i've certainly never experienced any issues with the cooling fans and that includes one of my previous RX450h's .

Must admit i don't really miss them in the ISF but they were good for spreading trouser coughs around the car :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had cooled seats on diesel is I had a few years ago, these were great on the few hot days we had, quite a strange feeling really, I have fans in the Gsf seats although I think this is just for ventilation as opposed to actually cooling, not had chance to try them yet.

7 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

Luckily, the whole IS range is practically identical so they could be retro fitted into an ISF!

Exactly.. that was my final defense. If I would need to retrofit them to M3... would be costly and difficult. On IS-F... just need to find IS220d beater in junkyard and here you have it - cooled seats on IS-F!  

I like them as if the seats are hot from the sun it gets them comfortable. Use it more than the heat function as a cold seat soon warms up anyway.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I personally use heating/ventilation literally all the time. In winter I user heater for first few minutes and then switch it to ventilation after interior gets to the temperature. In summer obviously just leave ventilation on... all in all during a year I would stay split between heating and ventilation would be 20/80% in terms of days I need them and probably 0.1/99.9% in terms of time each function is turned on.

In short seats ventilation is one of the most used function in my car...

Rather than blowing all your cash buying an IS-F and fitting 220d seats to it, why don't you keep your 220d(?) and stick an IS-F V8 in it. With all the similarities between the two cars, everyone will think it is an IS-F anyway. You'll probably need to change the speedo however - but maybe that's the same? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Rather than blowing all your cash buying an IS-F and fitting 220d seats to it, why don't you keep your 220d(?) and stick an IS-F V8 in it. With all the similarities between the two cars, everyone will think it is an IS-F anyway. You'll probably need to change the speedo however - but maybe that's the same? 

I thought fake quad exhaust will do?.. too busy to get into V8 engine swapping business...

Like so... I'd call it "IS-D"

IS-D.thumb.jpg.60e6285956dfa5a5e0182b89a59fb879.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

I thought fake quad exhaust will do?.. too busy to get into V8 engine swapping business...

I'll have you know that they are 100% real fake exhaust tips!! 

I used to have and IS-D.... Went to the GU clinic to get rid of it though

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Maybe you should take up the task of knocking up a ISF/IS250 hybrid? Here's a replica bumper and some badges.... 

_20180208_184049.thumb.JPG.023808dc9ddf874f18340f4151a0fc3b.JPG_20180208_184236.thumb.JPG.1218e819f2e6bab2d2e222281489e596.JPG

Only problem is the lack of pace, it won't be plausible as an ISF if it takes 2 weeks to get from 0-60, so here's my suggestion.... 

_20180208_184616.thumb.JPG.faab9997fa32e6b0fa79e8db58222fdb.JPG

I honestly though the white one in the picture was IS-F.. took me a while to understand what you meant by "replica bumper"... maybe only 4th time looking at it I realised there is no bulge on the bonnet, but that being american is most likely IS350 anyway.

Anyway, I changed my mind, because the joy ends when somebody pops the hand under the rear bumper (and frankly it is quite embarrassing).. Sticking with IS250 as is... and ventilated seats.

bb83e352ed74467a8d5fc0112ecef8b9.jpg

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I honestly though the white one in the picture was IS-F.. took me a while to understand what you meant by "replica bumper"... maybe only 4th time looking at it I realised there is no bulge on the bonnet, but that being american is most likely IS350 anyway.

Anyway, I changed my mind, because the joy ends when somebody pops the hand under the rear bumper (and frankly it is quite embarrassing).. Sticking with IS250 as is... and ventilated seats.

If be embarrassed if someone was fingering my hole too!!

Depends who it was actually. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think it does matter... it is embarrassing full stop... at least for me that is..

But on the bright side at least it won't be an issue getting right doors for this project:

door.thumb.png.07a0fb094b0af71145c16a8ba2b059ff.png

Ok.. lets look to this thing from another perspective. The most complex part of having seats cooled (assuming you want it) is the perforated leather... That is as well why say retrofitting BMW M3 woudl be costly and complex. IS-F has perforated leather, so one would assume it has ventilated seats, but it doesn't. The only other argument is that perforated leather improves airflow anyway and acts as passive ventilation even if there is no dedicated fan - so maybe it is fine.

The reason for me to like ventilated seats is that no matter how long is your drive, how hot is the day or how sweaty you got into the car - you will never need to unstuck yourself from the seat when you need to get out. Even when whilst sitting on solid leather after 3 hours I often start moving my back to the sides as it kind of starts itching. But that never happens with ventilated seats - I probably had continuous drive for like ~6 hours and with ventilation on it felt same as I have just got in.

Finally, I always looked at IS-F as ultimate IS mk2 which has all boxes on option list ticked + V8... so it just feels strange it lacks something in some way.

Well they are "ventilated", they cool only as much as you set on A/C... As stated above, I guess the biggest benefit is for log journeys (2-3+ hours)... otherwise it is just nice to have. Maybe in summer, maybe if you have black leather and leave in direct sunlight..

7 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Ok.. lets look to this thing from another perspective. The most complex part of having seats cooled (assuming you want it) is the perforated leather... That is as well why say retrofitting BMW M3 woudl be costly and complex. IS-F has perforated leather, so one would assume it has ventilated seats, but it doesn't. The only other argument is that perforated leather improves airflow anyway and acts as passive ventilation even if there is no dedicated fan - so maybe it is fine.

The reason for me to like ventilated seats is that no matter how long is your drive, how hot is the day or how sweaty you got into the car - you will never need to unstuck yourself from the seat when you need to get out. Even when whilst sitting on solid leather after 3 hours I often start moving my back to the sides as it kind of starts itching. But that never happens with ventilated seats - I probably had continuous drive for like ~6 hours and with ventilation on it felt same as I have just got in.

Finally, I always looked at IS-F as ultimate IS mk2 which has all boxes on option list ticked + V8... so it just feels strange it lacks something in some way.

There have been several Lexus models that have perforated seats without active ventilation - my old GS430 and RX400h were both in that category.

The F vehicles certainly aren't fully loaded compared to the Premier models. The GS F for example doesn't have the 3 zone AC system, only 2, nor the ion generator and the seats are only 10-way adjustable rather than 18-way.

I'm with you on ventilated seat though, I use the all the time in the Summer, especially if I'm wearing a formal shirt.

• Like 1

I encourage you to do that to any of @Mark G ‘s cars 😳

• Like 1

I don't think it does matter... it is embarrassing full stop... at least for me that is..

But on the bright side at least it won't be an issue getting right doors for this project:

door.thumb.png.07a0fb094b0af71145c16a8ba2b059ff.png

Nope definatly depends who it is, we submariners are known for being dirty, horrible people.

I was always told if your fist won't fit in it then it's too small

(I'm taking about exhausts by the way!!)

• Haha 1