Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs 300 Lpg Conversion

Clive W

Not done it on my GS, but did look at the figures a few months ago. Didn't take long to realise that for my particular case the payback period would be longer than I plan on keeping the car, unfortunately, although I can't recall the details at present.

My car is a mark 1, I do about 20000 miles per year and yes the conversion is not cheap, however I understand that the government will give a generous grant for cars under 5 years old under their Powershift programme, they ran out of money in December last year, but I am advised that they get a new budget at the beginning of April.

My main concern is has anyone any experience of running a GS300 on LPG and what if any are the technical pitfalls, for example performance-wise or consumption-wise or even less obviously possible damage to the catalytic converters?

Various types of conversion are available with widely differing prices and it would helpful to know which types are OK and which best to avoid.

If it helps, I had my 1995(M) LS400 converted nearly 3 years ago. Was a bit expensive at £1700.00, but have calculated a saving of between 7-10 pence per mile depending on the type of driving. So you can work it out.

The tank takes 48 litres and is located in the spare wheel cavity. So, you will have to carry one of those repair cans or puncture kits.

In terms of performance, difficult to say really. I think it is down a bit, but if I wanted top performance back, I just flick the switch back to petrol.

1200 plus LPG sites in the UK, haven't really run on petrol now since I had it fitted. Saved myself the price of a case of champagne when we went to France. Tastes better than petrol!

Small point, you cannot use the Channel tunnel, and if you want to use the ferries it must have an auto cut off switch (apparently, but the ferries never ask)

Cannot fault it. Wish I had had it done years ago.

Regards

Geoff

If you travel into London you can gain as well, you only need to pay £10 registration fee for a year for the congestion charge.

http://www.cclondon.com/downloads/Drivers.pdf

If this is something you are considering then contact the following company they are based in Brimpton just outside Reading, he can talk you through the costs etc

PPML Ltd

Telephone: 07774 239807

Owner: Dr Glynn Charlesworth.

He ownes a Lexus which he has had converted.

but have calculated a saving of between 7-10 pence per mile.

I find this figure a bit generous.

My dad's LS400 does an average of 26MPG which means in terms of using petrol it costs around 13.5p per mile,

on LPG you would get around 23MPG (as apparently you lose between 10-20%) which means that on gas it would cost 7.5p per mile

So far then thats a saving of 6 per mile (not far off your 7p estimate).

But when you consider that the tax on gas was put up in the budget and will go up everyear now that they have realised it doesnt save the enviroment much more than normal fuel unlike they originally thought (not my opinion BTW a proper report stated this then the price difference will become less over time.

But assuming you did save 6p per mile which is still being a bit optimistic then it would take you around 30,000 miles to break even by which time the price would have gone up so you could say 40,000 miles to break even before you even start to save a penny on the conversion.

But the bit that has suprised me to most, a few weeks ago whoever it is that puts the used car market figures out there are saying that cars that have had an LPG conversion are worth less than ones that haven't been converted (i found this quite odd but there it is) - so I would say overall 50,000 miles to make it worth doing.

Personally, I wouldnt bother, if you can afford a car then you can afford the insurance and the fuel to go in it, especially considering that after 75,000 miles you would have saved only £1000 in real terms.

Presumably, because Lexus are petrol injection, when converted they start and run on LPG (am I correct in this assumption?).

I cannot access the PowerShift website at present, but seem to remember that cars that have to start on petrol, such as conventional carburettor models do not qualify for congestion charge exemption.

I am not planning to use my car in London, but if I were, would liaise very carefully with PowerShift and the congestion charge administrators if this formed part of my economic calculation. There may be obscure parts of this legislation for example an emissions test may be required under certain circumstances.

Has anyone with a Lexus gained this exemption, what did they have to do to get it?

• 1 year later...

hi,

are there any news on that? I'm currently thinking about a similar conversion of a GS 300 or GS 430. Is there anybody with experiences to share?

Thanks in advance - Greetings from Germany

Bernd B)

For what it's worth, mine's run faultlessly on LPG since it was converted (only about 7,000 miles ago..) others I know have run for 90k without trouble.

Starting procedure is usually system-dependant but most start on petrol - the LPG wont switch in until the engine temp reaches (in my case) 30 degrees and until the engine is at over 1800rpm.

I'm afraid I havent cared enough to investigae the fuel consumption in any detail but I did a rough estimation the other night and its pretty close - any fuel consumption's always going to depend on how the car is driven though - I drive more sedately on LPG and tend to be slightly more lead-footed on the petrol. I can say though that my regular commutes from Chester to Surrey and back now cost me £36 instead of £52.. I tend to spend the saving on some Optimax for the caterham and go out and enjoy myself :D :driving:

Definitely worth it if you're planning on keeping the car- I think its a great car and am looking to run mine for another 200k before i bin it..it'll be interesting to see if the LPG has any negative affects during this time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Converted my GS last year, no probs to date.Had a second tank put in a few months later, for convenience.

Get 400miles to 100ltr@ 32.9p

Only thing that was added was a liquid called valve saver, this lubricates the plastic valve seating to minimise the wear and tear during lpg useage.

Cost me 1600.00 all in plus 350 for the second tank.

Best thing I have done to the GS, fuel costs dropped dramatically.

Awais

• 1 month later...

I have a 1997 Mk 1 which was gas converted in 2000 with 40k on the clock. Now has 128k on the clock, and runs well (recent post re idling notwithstanding). Running on gas tends to be cleaner, and causes less emissions. The only problem is finding gas filling stations.

I get around 21 mpg on lpg, which costs 30 to 40p per litre depending on where you buy it, giving a cost per mile of around 8-9p. With petrol at 85p per litre and a mileage of 25 mpg you have a cost per mile of 15p.

Bought the Lex already converted. I was quoted £1400 plus VAT to convert my BMW 5 series, and it is safe to assume that the Lexus would cost roughly the same. With the saving of 7p per mile you need to do around 25,000 miles to get your money back.

If you keep it for 80k as the dude before me did you would be £4400 in front.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links