Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Smells

Chris.S

I get the same problem, even with short journeys. I've had the car over 9 months and occasionaly I can smell a burning smell when getting out of the drivers side. I have noticed it since day one. Might ask the dealer the next time it goes for a service.

Ian

The smell I get is noticed as soon as you get out of the car. I think its coming from under the car rather than the exhaust. It only happens on rare occasions and usually for no reason, could be a 5 minute trip to the supermarket.

My second service is due in 2000 miles time so i'll ask the dealer to check it out then.

FYI anyway I have the optional chrome exhaust.

Ian

Original stock on the Sports model. Currently cleaning the gunk around the outside. Wish it would stop raining though! Never get a chance to clean the thing. To add insult to injury, I have to park on a busy one way street, so I have to wash one side, drive across the street and back up to clean the other, drive across again to wax the other side etc., etc.

I guess that those smells comes from the brakes. I also have that kind of smell and I recognize that it comes from the wheels..and I assume it comes from the brake pads.... I have never asked the garage but if it is something to worry about I will ask too. But definitely it comes from the brakes...

Nope - I mean, yours might be the brakes, but mine isn't.

I know what hot brakes, exhaust etc. smell like and this isn't any of them - it's definitely hot rubber (and no, it's not the tyres :smilegrin: )

Next time it happens, I'm gonna crawl underneath and find out what it is :D

I still suspect it's gonna be an exhaust hanger.

but what you have described as smell like burnt rubber is also the smell i have... it is really very awful and strong...and it is also in the back...

Do you feel that the car is rolling well ? I mean or do you feel that there is resistence when the car is rolling ?

No, I don't have any problems with the brakes binding or sticking. The smell doesn't happen very often and is not particularly strong - you just get a whiff, I usually notice it only if I'm getting stuff out of the boot.

well I always notice if i passed by the car at the right back. try to approach the right backwheel...and mostly I smell it from there...left side is okay..but maybe it is the muffler...I am not sure....maybe I will also crawl under my car to have a look where the smell comes from

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by GRiM

I had a strange smell in the car the other day too!! :sniff::sniff:

But I put that down to the eggs I had for breakfast that morning... :saint:

I think I would have just blamed that on the cat/s!!!!

I had a similar smell of burning rubber on my car and the cause was quite simple. During one of my many adventures to my local supermarket, the exhaust pipe in the middle of the car had caught a plastic bag which it promptly melted. Since it was stuck on, I could not remove it and it gradually burned itself off after a couple of weeks.

Might be worth getting the car up on a ramp to see what's going on. I also know that the cars that come here have extra rustproofing under the car, using some sort of rubber based underseal. Same thing might have happened again.

I also noticed this not long after getting my IS200 Sport (Aug '00) I mentioned it to one of the guys at Lexus and he said it was the exhaust mountings because the exhaust gets sooooo hot !. I still get the smell but not worried about it since it's not the tyres ! :P

i went to my dealer and he told me that the smell comes due to the exhaution pipe. The exhaution pipe is very hot and all materials which are in that area and which are out of plastic or other synthetic stuff are somehow melting or getting heated as well and the smell is due to that but of no worries

cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

i had the burning smell for the first time last night! really stinks - i could smell it as soon as i got out of the car.

in the area of the tunnel behind the g/box there is loads of underseal so suspect that this is the cause as the cat is about there as well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links