Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Challenge Is On!

sorry to sound like a spoil sport but as the old addage goes, if you have to ask the cost then you cant afford it!

To be honest if £7500 seems like a lot of money to ya then owning a lex is gonna empty your pockets quicker than a night time walk thru lewisham!

For example, im a train comuter that uses the car only for pleasure and i spend over £4000 - 7000 a year in petrol, serviceing etc. i think it runs into £600+ a month.

In the end your gonna find your options limited if your paying out so much money if your on a limited income. Otherwise the car will become an expensive paperweight in the driveway.

20mpg is gonna dent ya pocket, dont get into this lightly!

im lucky enuf not to need to worry about the running costs etc, but i was young not so long ago (Was 18, 4 years ago) and i was running a superbike that run my pockets dry. Wasnt woth it in the end

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example, im a train comuter that uses the car only for pleasure and i spend over £4000 - 7000 a year in petrol, serviceing etc. i think it runs into £600+ a month.

:o How do you manage to spend that much?! You must have one unreliable lexus. I commute 50 miles a day in mine and it costs me £35 week in petrol. Insurance is £515 a year. Servicing £100 to £300 depending on which one about every 8 months. Tyres about £300 probably about once a year. Did have one biggy with ball joints and water pump which cost me £600. Dunno what that comes to but it's less than £600 per month even including £270 for the loan.

well i get thru about £1000 worth of tyres a year, i drive in town mainly. go cruises etc and get through at least £200 worth of petrol, insurance is now £900 a year (was £1400), then just other consumables.

I do feel old at 22, am a contracts manager for a large fitout company and have forgotten what it feels like to have spirit! :whistling:

Still brokered a nice deal yesterday with a big contractor for hopefully more than a 7 figure sum (please let me get a bonus!). will regain some youth then. lol

wish it was an ls lol.

i drive it hard and it costs to do so, but its worth every penny, also included payments for the car into that equation by the way.

£1000 worth of tyres, what do you do pull donnuts and 360's only joking, how come you change your tyres so often, and which ones do you put on, I think the lex is not to costly to run long as you drive it sensibly, your be ok,

Another thing was you know you thinking of going to the bca auction, and you say you had a look at the sales list on their website, how do you acess that do you have to be a member, if not can you send me the link plz. thanks :D

i use michelin pilot sports front and rear, they are quite a soft compound but are totaly worth it.

I am not a sunday driver kind of person. i like to drive it how it was made to be driven. lol.

projectslam , Your love any model of Lexus is200 after owning a Punto :D , if you end up buying a high mileage example, you have no need to use a main dealer for servicing ( thats a major saving ), tyres can be bought on line, at a cost of about £70.00 ( just need to get them fitted to the rims and balanced £7-10 per wheel ).

Weather you drive an S,SE or Sport its still as IS200 ,a much admired car in the UK, just look how many people want the Lexus style rear light on their motors, a trend started by the IS200.

You go and get your S model and enjoy it :winky: .

no, no luck at the auction. don has managed to change my mind im thinking now of not gettin one, does it really cost that much to run. now im carless and dont know what to do, is or not is? im only 21, i think the don might be right! it is going to cost an arm and a leg to run it and i would give my other arm and leg to own one, that leaves me with no limbs to drive with! what do i do?

any idea's for cars?

j.

no, no luck at the auction. don has managed to change my mind im thinking now of not gettin one, does it really cost that much to run. now im carless and dont know what to do, is or not is? im only 21, i think the don might be right! it is going to cost an arm and a leg to run it and i would give my other arm and leg to own one, that leaves me with no limbs to drive with! what do i do?

any idea's for cars?

j.

depends on the mileage you do.... I paid more then twice your budget and i've done 20'000 in my lex in the last 10 months.. cost a packet, so I've just picked up a £500 cavalier for daily ruff and tuff use, less chance of damaging the paintwork on the lex :lol:

What sort of prices did the Lexus’s sell for at the auction??

To be honest with you on the motorway the car's great on fuel, but around town it does drink a little, however it’s a great luxury car for a decent price. Plus I think it won't cost you that much to run, 1 set of tyres per year will cost about 350-400 if you get them off the net and servicing and stuff isn’t too much. As the car is Japanese it will never go wrong reliable as anything and will go on forever.

Look mate if you drive the car hard and fast then yes its going to cost you alot , and i do this all the time just to ***** the boyracers of round where i am and i have to say i love doing it as well, BUT the cost well its about £50 a week as i like to drive fast :whistling: but safe :winky: i have had the car all most a year now, and all i have had to pay out on in new tyres as i had new rims put on last week, it comes down to how you drive the car to what it is going to cost you to run :whistling:

its only a 6 mile round trip to work but i will also have site visits and client meetings during the day that i will need to go to. also i will be using the car evenings and weekends.

as for prices from the auction......

silver s 2001 64k £7475

black sport 2001, small scuffs, 44k £9675

silver se 2001, 53k £8550

Blue se, 2001, auto, 62k £8675

Black s, 2001, 77k £7950...................the dealers gave up on this one but one :offtopic: insisted on stopping me from buying it!

try again i guess!

J.

I dont think those prices would have met the reserve. I went there once and bid on an X reg is200 SE Silver. I was the highest bidder at ££8700. I was told reserve was not me and their client was looking for £9600. The car was very scruffy so I did not bother. I later brought a mint Y reg for £10,400 with 60K on it. I think all this cost business is getting out of hand. The best way to service a lexus is to buy a prepaid service plan. That way you pay in advance so you get no nasty surprises. A three year plan will probably cost the same as one serice, you may as well buy the plan and then enjoy 3 years without worrying about paying for services, you can also pay for the plan by direct debit. My last 60K service cost £570.90. I gave the service plan voucher which cost me about £125. It cleared the whole bill. i just paid £40 for the mot. I was well chuffed. This way it cost me less for servicing than my Citroen Saxo VTR. You just have to do a little homework and a bit of shopping around. Dont let cost put you off. For driving experience it is nowhere near as good as BMW, no matter what anyone says I have owned a few and they are a lot better to drive than the is200. The downside was reliability, those BMs go wrong all the time, hence the reason to change to Lexus. Reliablity has been great so far but not as fun or smooth to drive as BMW. Dont let me put you off weigh it all up and come to a decision of your own. I hope I have been of some help

thats some good prices at the auctions:

black sport 2001, small scuffs, 44k £9675

this one is a bit cheap, what was wrong with it, i thought dealers would jump at this, i went to a auction bca meaham about 2months ago and a x reg is200 sport, 65k went for about £10500, i thought that was expensive so i got one privatley, once again i think lexus is the right car mate, just go for one,

also idmax: how do you get these service plans and vouchers??, cheers

yes, the prices are cheap but as you say some of them do go provisionaly. meening that the owner is contacted because it is below the reserve, some owners do agree the lower price and some don't its down to luck at the end of the day.

still don't know about the lexus!

im going down there for a test drive friday and while im down there im also going to test drive a yaris t sport, bit different i know but im so confused now. i was certain i could aford a lexus easily but now i dont know, i have only ever owned a little 1.2 mk1 fiat punto. was loads of fun to just boot it about but now i understand that i need something better, thing is it aint hard to find something better. what ever i end up drivin will be better, i just really want an IS. :crybaby:

J.

The IS is a really good car. I wanted one for ages and finally could afford to buy one, so I did. It is quite expensive to run tho and will be a lot different to your punto.

Eg: Petrol; mine cost over £50 to fill up on optimax and I get about 380 miles per tank. I would imagine the punto costs half that to fill up yet gets similar milage

Bigger wheels = more expensive tyres

LOC = lots of mods (well its not compulsary but you just can't help it can you) = more money

Insurance will be more expensive

If you drive it sensibly I recon you could get over 400 miles per tank and if you manage to resist the lure of modification you would save a lot of money there. If you can afford it then get one as you will be the envy of all your friends

not as fun or smooth to drive as BMW.

:offtopic::ohmy: how can you say this about the IS IMO i have lots of fun driveing my IS and as for being smooth well you are just talking :tsktsk: what is not smooth about the IS

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links