Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Repellents

Shrek

Has anyone used the rain repellents that are on the market? products like 'Rain X'? If you have I would be interested in your comments as to whether they work, or are they a waste of money.

The back window on my GS gets coated in a film of water droplets, which can only be shaken off at excessive speeds. :(

Shrek,

Been using Rain-X for over a year now and it definately improves your visibility. It is difficult to apply as it takes some time to buff your windows, but it certainly beads water off quicker...

I could not get hold of any Rain X. SoI have just applied some stuff called RainWizard By bluecol. It cost just over £6. It was easy to apply as it came in an applicator. I found it easy to buff up too. Blucol claim it will last for up to 7 months I will monitor and give you feed back...:):)

I've been using Rain Wizard for about 2 years and I reckon it's pretty good. I find it needs re-applying after about 5 months.

When it's empty you can give the bottle to your missus as a s*x toy - if you've seen the "applicator", you'll know what I mean :smilegrin:

I've been using Rain Wizard for about 2 years and I reckon it's pretty good. I find it needs re-applying after about 5 months.

When it's empty you can give the bottle to your missus as a s*x toy - if you've seen the "applicator", you'll know what I mean :smilegrin:

Thanks for that info Lexicon and I will check out the secondary uses:o not on myself you understand...;);)

I have seen them and thought that as well. Just shows what filthy minds us lads have:smilegrin:

Love to know what lexus do to the glass to have this affect?

I think it is because glass is pourous and rain X and the treatment you have had done on your GS basically blocks the pourous texture of the glass.

Glass has billions of tiny pourous holes that water sits in... rain x just fills those pores making it easier for the water to run down the screen.

( hmm that did not sound like Johnny Ball did it?) :smilegrin:

• 1 month later...

I just noticed today that PIAA have started selling Silicone coated wiper blades. The technology has been used on rally cars for years apparantly. It is meant to leave a thin layer of silicone on your windscreen every time you use them, to give the same effect as something like Rain-X.

http://www.piaa.co.uk/catalog/Bulb%20Section/wipers.htm

Demon Tweeks sell them and they are about £16 per blade I think

Bet THAT doesn't last 5 months :D

If it does, she's doing it wrong!! :D

Rain-X and Wizard both work, but only work well if applied well. Make sure windscreen really clean first - then apply EXACTLY as it says - and really buff it up (No Smutt please!!), and then you will find you hardly have to use wipers at all!

• 1 month later...

Update on rain wizard. I have cleaned it all off with 'Halfords intensive glass cutter'. This is a bit messy to apply as it tends to turn to dust when buffed up. However the results are great. it removes any rain repelent that is applied. as for the rain wizard. It left a smear on the n/s of the screen which I could not remove till now. this is probably down to me applying it badly. I have now used Rain X which as ultaviolet says works really well if applied well. The rain drops have been breaking their little finger nails trying to cling on to the screen :lol::lol::lol:

Have used Rain-X for years now but stopped using it on the windscreen (which maybe sounds pointless) but I found after time a film built up which was difficult to see through when the wipers were used. Works great on the rest of the glass (including lights and mirrors) though.

p.s. Rain-X wax is excellent on the paintwork but not sure if you can get it in the U.K. I brought it back from the States. Check it out at www.rainx.com

Originally posted by John Rae

Have used Rain-X for years now but stopped using it on the windscreen (which maybe sounds pointless) but I found after time a film built up which was difficult to see through when the wipers were used. Works great on the rest of the glass (including lights and mirrors) though.

I agree about the windscreen. The trouble is you have to use the wipers sometimes and the coating wears off - unless you re-apply it regulalry it gets very smeary after a while.

I don't bother with the door mirrors cos they are coated anyhow.

I have found Rain-X works really well.

As for what Lexus do to glass on the new models.......well certain double glazing companies offer an option called "clear-glass" which is applied and bonded at the factory before the glass is cut - not sure if same treatment is available to auto glass manufacturers.

Have just tried the Halfords own brand and seemed to work OK (but wouldn't you know it the rain stopped a couple of days after application).

What I can say is that rain, and even light drizzle come to that, clear off windscreen without wipers at between 45-50mph. When using wipers the visibility was superb.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links