Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cylinder Head Modifications

tdiplc

I've been testing Dave Ellen's head over the last few days. Not the one with ears and a nose, but the one with valves and springs.

The findings are quite surprising.

Although the intake ports are not too bad, we still managed to extract enough of an improvement to give a potential 25hp increase in power, from a 10% increase in airflow. The inlet manifold and throttle body etc is actually quite good and flows sufficient air to give around 235hp in n/a form.

The exhaust side is a disaster. The exhaust ports need an enormous amount of work but provides a 22% increase in airflow when done properly. The standard exhaust manifold with a cat knocks off around 10cfm which strangles the engine to around 170hp if you are lucky.

A decent modified head and exhaust manifold is good for the n/a guys that want "invisible power", and essential for the s/c guys that are compressing the intake charge against a massive exhaust restriction.

If anyone wants to be a guinea pig to see exactly what results are achieved, please let me know.

Mark :)

Here's the cylinder head on the Superflow test rig, testing the exhaust flow with the manifiold fitted.

Here's the head being tested with the inlet manifold fitted.

[code]Ellen3.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds good to me, i would seriously consider spending some dough if you could break the 200bhp barrier whilst still remaining un supercharged!

What other mods would be needed to get this 25bhp? fuel rails, fuel pumps etc?

sounds good to me, i would seriously consider spending some dough if you could break the 200bhp barrier whilst still remaining un supercharged!

What other mods would be needed to get this 25bhp? fuel rails, fuel pumps etc?

Colin is right about the fuel system etc, but it does run out of steam at a little over 200hp.

25hp is the theoretical amount calculated from the flow improvements which assumes that everyting else is also capable of delivering the additional 25hp.

We need to test this mod on a car to see what the actual results are, but my gut feeling is that the pesky rev limiter will not allow the full potential to be realised (FCON V Pro cures that). But don't forget this mod will also improve torque throughout the rev range, and fuel economy if the fueling is corrected by means of an aftermarket ecu. All good stuff :)

ok, im kinda hooked at present. im liking this idea and may be willing to put my car up if the length of time isnt too long. as i need my car a lot.

Im just over the bridge from ya too.

What kinda money we talking here? Pm if you want.

ok, im kinda hooked at present. im liking this idea and may be willing to put my car up if the length of time isnt too long. as i need my car a lot.

Im just over the bridge from ya too.

What kinda money we talking here? Pm if you want.

What mods have you done so far Mr Don?

I too may be interested mark, as i cannot afford a s/c, but it all depends on time and cost factors. The only mods i have done to my engine etc are a replacement panel filter, and an HKS silent hi-power back box. PM if you like.

Stu

The exhaust side is a disaster. The exhaust ports need an enormous amount of work but provides a 22% increase in airflow when done properly. The standard exhaust manifold with a cat knocks off around 10cfm which strangles the engine to around 170hp if you are lucky.

If the exhaust ports in the head were opened up, would that still be a waste of time if the standard exhaust manifold was bolted back on, restricting it an all that ?

:offtopic: while on the subject of more power, is there a larger intercooler that can be fitted to the S/C IS200 ?

One that is longer rather than higher, sothat it catches more cold air. I was looking at Maz's intercooler at JAE and most of it is behind the bumper.

at present engine mods include HKS Hiper exhaust (noisy one) and your N/A induction kit.

Cold air feed is being installed this weekend hopefully.

But have friends with M3's and want that little bit more power.

Fast and furious performance also want to do a full metal wide arch kit to give it an M3 look, and if you have seen their project Bmax then its gonna be good!

The whole car is getting improved, so why not start at the engine bay me thinks.

If the exhaust ports in the head were opened up, would that still be a waste of time if the standard exhaust manifold was bolted back on, restricting it an all that ?

It would still work (to a lesser degree) because the exhaust flow is increased by a larger amount than the standard manifold reduces it, although it works much better with the pre cats removed or a decent manifold fitted. That is the main reason why we recommend that the manifold is changed at stage 1 tuning level on the s/c models.

while on the subject of more power, is there a larger intercooler that can be fitted to the S/C IS200 ?

One that is longer rather than higher, sothat it catches more cold air. I was looking at Maz's intercooler at JAE and most of it is behind the bumper.

The TTE intercooler is big enough until you want to use more boost pressure, and the core that they use is very good in terms of flow efficiency.

Most of the aftermarket intercooler manufacturers use cores that are woeful in terms of flow efficiency, which creates a larger than acceptable pressure drop across the intercooler meaning that it will lose too much boost pressure. It's all to do with the design of the internal air transfer tubes and the overal capacity.

Our stage 1 intercooler works better when installed with an open mouthed front bumper like we did on the Monster because that is a high pressure location, but it it is still effective using a standard bumper as there is plenty of turbulance in the nose cone, and the fact that a radiator will still disperse heat without any airflow whatsoever.

Sounds interesting Mark,how long would you need a car for,and at what cost?

I going to work out a price and throw it out to anyone that's interested, then it'll be first come first served :)

The donor car will need to have a decent exhaust and at least a de-cat, and a Dastek, FCON or similar ecu, or be prepared to have these installed at the same time.

It will probably take around 3 or 4 days, and we can loan you a car.

i would need a price for doing the extra mods that you just listed, bearing in mind that my car is gonna be on show stands most of the summer.

Plus will be magazine featured once ffp have finished wit the body

Sounds interesting Mark,how long would you need a car for,and at what cost?

I going to work out a price and throw it out to anyone that's interested, then it'll be first come first served :)

The donor car will need to have a decent exhaust and at least a de-cat, and a Dastek, FCON or similar ecu, or be prepared to have these installed at the same time.

It will probably take around 3 or 4 days, and we can loan you a car.

ooh, sounds like I'm your man Mark. I've got all those things allready.....

Just depends on price and what sort of power gains would you expect to see ?

well my car is gonna be at the Fast and furious performance stand at USC all weekend next week. With their project Bmax. Max powers car of the show at max live and the only 22" rimmed 3 series in the country.

Along with their 24" rimmed range rover etc so the stands gonna get a lot of coverage! if you want the free publicity that is

well my car is gonna be at the Fast and furious performance stand at USC all weekend next week. With their project Bmax. Max powers car of the show at max live and the only 22" rimmed 3 series in the country.

Along with their 24" rimmed range rover etc so the stands gonna get a lot of coverage! if you want the free publicity that is

That sounds really good, and thanks for the offer :D

Unfortunately tt will be at least 4 weeks before we can move on this due to existing commitments