Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

"clonking" When Braking

Williboy

Hi, like most of you out there the IS suffers from 'clonking' noises from the brakes when applying the brakes at low speed or turning the wheel whilst braking. I took the car to lexus aberdeen where the technician knew what the problem straight away. He said they were the clips on the brakes slipping out of position. (You can easily see these clips from the outside, one top and bottom!). He offered me two options, a quick fix but not necessarily a garanteed one was to apply some kind of grease aound the calipers and behind the clips. He offered to do that for the cost of half hour labour (approx. 40 pounds). The other option was to order brand new clips top and bottom for a pair costing about 30 pounds + half an hour labour. Hope that helps! :driving:

Hi, like most of you out there the IS suffers from 'clonking' noises from the brakes when applying the brakes at low speed or turning the wheel whilst braking. I took the car to lexus aberdeen where the technician knew what the problem straight away. He said they were the clips on the brakes slipping out of position. (You can easily see these clips from the outside, one top and bottom!). He offered me two options, a quick fix but not necessarily a garanteed one was to apply some kind of grease aound the calipers and behind the clips. He offered to do that for the cost of half hour labour (approx. 40 pounds). The other option was to order brand new clips top and bottom for a pair costing about 30 pounds + half an hour labour. Hope that helps! :driving:

I was told by Lexus it was the brake pads moving sightly in the caliper housing.

When braking going forward the pads move to the top of the caliper 'slot'. When reversing and then braking, the 'clunk' is heard as the pad moves to the bottom of the caliper slot.

Makes sense?

I had new pads (probably a little wider than the originals) and all is fine.

Hope this helps?

Neil