Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Please Help With Hid Install!

aido

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put your multimeter to voltage and put the probes on the sidelight connections then you should see 12v when there are turned on. You can also put the meter to resistance and measure across the bulb - there should be a couple of ohms resistance if the bulb is ok.

Don't go near the HID connections with the multimeter

The noise may be the working ballast.

Thanks Colin, will try it early tomorrow am :)

Mat, basically one side of the car is fine but I have no sidelight or HID on the other and assumed it was linked :wibble:

OK update for you!

Car wouldn't start this morning - flat Battery!

I had problems starting her a few weeks back after it had ****** it down so I guess if I'm on the original Battery she's just turning 4 so will need replacing.

As for the lights etc, I've totally disconnected both sides for now and just the drivers side ballast remains since I fixed it in.

I'm getting voltage to all the connectors - the LHS sidelight has blown during the install which is what confused me - will get a replacement if I can get to the dealers today!

Taking the kit with me as I'll ask them if they can take a look at installing it.

Could not test the other harness & bulb this morning since the original bulb is now not firing up - have put this down to the problem with the Battery.

For now I've put both X-Whites back in so I can drive the car with lights.

Will get the garage to replace the Battery when I finally get there too.

No Mat, and it is fiddly to get the bulbs in, but I think I've cracked it now as I can swap bulbs much quicker than the first time I did it and it took me hours!

Car is in the garage at the minute, asked for new sidelights so hopefully will be able to get this sorted.

I'm going to have another crack at the install later when I have the car back.

Have removed the hood struts for the time being so that I can get to the earth points without dicking about.

Should make it easier for me to test all the components and see if anything is faulty (bulbs were floating incovered in the box as they'd come out of the holders - wil be able to check each component much easier later.)

After the Battery prob though (RAC guy reckons she should be fine) I'm a bit wary - will it be alright to test the HID's with the engine on so I can make sure I won't get that problem again?

Yes mate, still on the original OEM one.

Think I will upgrade to one like yours soon, should have no problems then as I haven't got any of the audio kit like some of you boys :P

What is charging the Battery when the car is stopped then? Just seems really strange that it was totally dead earlier and I was getting the clicking noises then after leaving it for 1 hour she fired up (albeit stuggled)?

I change my to Bosch now, but for my audio i have a 2nd Battery where the spare wheel used to be... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

you lucky, with my old OEM Battery, leave the car in the garage for a week or so and it will go dead, the engine wont even turn, and all lights just go off, it was that bad........ :yack: :yack: :yack: :yack: :angry::angry:

That sounds exactly right Tony, I did my ankle in a week ago and haven't been able to drive it so it's been sat for a week now.

Think I'll pick a new one up in a couple of days time :)

OK sorted!

I have a faulty ballast after all that!

I tested both bulbs which worked fine (although one has a crack in the ceramic tube - this was like that when the kit arrived with the bulbs floating - guess it will need replacing soon)

Tested out the other ballast and nothing.

Decided to take it a step further and move everything over like the fuses and relay from one ballast to another to see if they were knacked - everything worked in the good ballast but I can't get the 2nd ballast to fire up.

I was using the same earth point at this point to ensure everything was identical in the test.

So, I need to get the Meccatune ballast (and probably one bulb) replaced and I should be cooking on gas!

Garage reckoned nothing wrong with the existing Battery, but I'm going to replace it with a higher spec version after seeing how quickly it died after me working on the car yesterday!

Thanks for the help everyone - owe you all a few pints next time I see you :)