Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should There Be ......

MrADeveci

Should we have a Legal Help / Advice Section?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a Legal Help / Advice Section?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem is that LOC could theoretically be held responsible for advice given in a Legal-Advice forum. Even with disclaimers we'd be on a sticky wicket. So, in theory a great idea but I'd personally be nervous about implementing something formally.

Not a lawyer, Yes obviously the information will be correct , (direct lifts from Law Act's that apply) - and yes it is free.

This is a topic that is currently being discussed with Steve, and if in play, this will either be for all members, or just GOLD members to enjoy.

There will obviously be a disclaimer stating that no responsibility will be taken from / by the information given in the forum.

Not just that but you don't want someone to take the wrong advice from something written and suffer. It could be because they don't realise the implications of some quirk of their particular case.

i think its a bad idea - i mean, the law is open to interpertation at the best of times.. and as Claire says, if we have something that is incorrect or innaccurate - the club could be held accountable..

wouldnt that be the same as any other piece of advise offered on these forums,,ie i recommend a particular mod,, you go ahead and get the same mod,, your car then blows up,, whoose to be held accountable.. me, you or the club..

if i recommend a set of tyres that in my opnion (and i think that is the key word) perform well in the wet.. and you fit them and have an accident in the wet cause the tyres didnt grip,, whoose to blame..

solicitors will only recommend a course of action or offer advice.. it is up to the client if they wish to pursue the cousrse of action or advice

So i reckon that if the terms of the 'legal advice section' were pinned permently and made clear that it is only ADVICE being offered, LOC are nto accountable blah blah.. (in fact a solicitor can type that one up) then i cant see how LOC can come into any problems..

Fargo,

That's very true, advice for legal help is available almost everywhere on the internet.

The benefits of having it on the LOC , would just make life alot easier for members should they wish to find out anything in particular, they can come to there website, and look there , rather than going else where.

And again like I said, I would have been willing to answer any questions that members would have had, but at this rate ..... it looks like the majority do not want this forum opened, I guess that last person to make that desicion would be the Admin.

Like you rightfully said, what about all the other adivce / recommendations people give on the web site ? , that was a very good example that you gave.

Oh well ..... guess we'll just have to wait to see the end result of all of this.

Regards,

wouldnt that be the same as any other piece of advise offered on these forums

Hmm true. Actually I do like the idea just thought I ought to voice a note of caution tho everyone else seems to be doing that too. I guess with disclaimers and stuff it would be ok. Think I'm getting convinced.

Well, come on people, you must all have some kind of say - if it be positive or negative.

There has been like over 75 views of this topic since started, and too few replies.

The reality of this forum actually opening will depend on the members responces.

So get replying ! - Share your thoughts.

Fargo, I actually joined the site a few months back as "MetServeUK"

But have since gone gold, and changed my username to "ScarFace" - (it's just one of the greatest films ever made)

But I'll add in intro !

you have a vaild point Paul - but i guess my major concern is someone posting some erronus advice, at least with cars, someone like Mat will pop up and disagree..

but if someone says, for example, you can get off a speeding ticket by returning the slip without a signature (which by the way is a loophole that i believe has now closed), it could cause someone more hassle than if they just paid the fine in the first place..

Now, ignoring the accountability aspect, I still worry about things being posted that are incorrect, 'urban myths' or just wrong.. and people following that advice to their detriment...

and your comparison, while good, is not accurate - as its not as if you would post about a product unless you had experience of it - whereas, i can imagine a lot of people posting 'hearsay' to do with the law (such as the calibration thing - which has been irrelavant for 5 years now)

Fidigts,

I disagree.

"people" won't be posting anything law related on the forum, they will post Questions, I will be doing the answering, that doesn't mean that I will post Hear Say, or Urban Myths, like I explained, I will post direct lifts from law, and stated cases.

I will NOT post "how to avoid" and "how to get out if it" type replies, but will simply explain to members with concerns the paths they could take, and the possible out comes of those paths.

If agreed by Steve, I will be the moderator if just that forum. People can answer questions, and post replies - however I will check the integrity of that answer made, and if it is just a myth, I will be able to remove the answer given - explain why it was removed, and post the correct reply.

Hope that kind of makes sense ?

well, it might make sense - BUT (and this is not a personal attack, simply and opinion) what makes you the 'be all and end all' of legal advice?

I mean, we have accoutants, and perhaps even solictors who might have knowledge on certain areas of the law that you dont..

I mean, if someone asks where they stand on a consumer rights issue, you couldnt say whether someones answer was 100% correct or not?

If you see my point...

I'm all for you helping members out, but you dont need a dedicated forum for that.

as i said, i wasnt having a go directly - but if your going to have a forum entitled 'legal help', then surely it should cover the whole spectrum?

I'm not knocking your suggestion, and its great you want to offer your help, and im sure it will be appreciated, and accurate..

yeah, i wasnt arguing that point - but with a legal section you may get (for example) consumer rights questions... and we cant leave them unanswered - but also, do we have anyone whos an expert in these matters?

thats all i was getting at...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links