Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will A S/c Damage My Stock Engine?

PhoneDrome

... but this was following extreme abuse whilst the exhaust system was bent in half which created massive EGT's leading to a catastrophic failure...

Sorry, I mean this part.

:geek:

"EGT's" is short for Exhaust Gas Temperatures. A blocked exhaust is one the things that will cause excessive EGT's.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I still don't understand whether the quote was supposed to be based on any testing or whether it was just speculation, as I have the emails from Freidel saying that they have never tried raising the boost. Please confirm this Rob as the members should be clear on this important issue, and I am very interested myself - thanks.

Any news on this yet? :whistling:

very sorry for not rushing back and replying, have to work hard to put the food in the microwave!

i can not confirm or deny - simply going on the advise of Gerald, which was very firmly emphasised and for people that dont know..... Gerald Bonengel is the Principle Engineer for Engine Development at TTE.

Also when a few of our well respected and long term members made a trip over to TTE earlier in the year, the very subject about increasing the "boost" pressure was discussed and it was then also and once again very strictly and firmly emphasised NOT to increase the boost pressure, even if other mods were done eg fuel etc - but this u know anyway mark

i know whos advice i would rather take regarding the boost issue.

very sorry for not rushing back and replying, have to work hard to put the food in the microwave!

i can not confirm or deny - simply going on the advise of Gerald, which was very firmly emphasised and for people that dont know..... Gerald Bonengel is the Principle Engineer for Engine Development at TTE.

Also when a few of our well respected and long term members made a trip over to TTE earlier in the year, the very subject about increasing the "boost" pressure was discussed and it was then also and once again very strictly and firmly emphasised NOT to increase the boost pressure, even if other mods were done eg fuel etc - but this u know anyway mark

i know whos advice i would rather take regarding the boost issue.

As I have it in writing that TTE have never done any further r&d work on this conversion, and we have done extensive testing and several conversions with a 100% success rate, it does seem that this is an important issue that needs clarification.

As you started the issue would it not be possible for you to get to the facts, as the way it has been left is only speculation?

I can cut and past the emails from TTE if it helps you.

Thanks Rob.

as in my above post, i passed on the information that was given to me to the other members.

as for fact , geralds advice is fact enough for me, dont think his advice is speculation,

maybe tte just dont want to tell u stuff, maybe if this... maybe if that....

cut and paste whatever u want to do i couldnt care less I know what i have been told and thats good enough for me.

as in my above post, i passed on the information that was given to me to the other members.

as for fact , geralds advice is fact enough for me, dont think his advice is speculation,

maybe tte just dont want to tell u stuff, maybe if this... maybe if that....

cut and paste whatever u want to do i couldnt care less I know what i have been told and thats good enough for me.

The issue is whether what you were told was based on speculation or on actual testing.

Personally I don't like to regurgitate speculation as fact, and would prefer to find out the facts myself before saying anything, or at least clearly state that what was being said was unproven.

It doesn't sound as if you have made much of an attempt to get to the bottom of it, but I realise you are busy and appreciate your time Rob.

Mark :)

The issue is whether what you were told was based on speculation or on actual testing.

no idea - ask gerald if u want to know.

Personally I don't like to regurgitate speculation as fact, and would prefer to find out the facts myself before saying anything, or at least clearly state that what was being said was unproven.

i have no reason to doubt what i was told.

It doesn't sound as if you have made much of an attempt to get to the bottom of it, but I realise you are busy and appreciate your time Rob.

no attempt made at all, reason as per the answer above.

yes been very busy recently.

You come accross as an intelligent person Rob, so considering you instigated the whole issue I would have thought you would have been more concerned about getting the facts right.

However, I realise that you are busy (and I have nothing better to do ;) ) I will see what I can do about getting more info on this issue for you. :)

if you mean passing on the information i recieved from TTE then yes im afraid that i am guilty of that.

i have no need to go deeper, i posed the question to TTE and got the reply from a very well respected source.

will be interesting to see what u can find/show us, though as i am sure u can appreciate, people might be a bit sceptical unless information comes direct from TTE clearly stating it is ok to raise the boost pressure, considering that they have previously said not to do it.

Was it information or speculation you got?

Ask Gerald and find out for yourself if it was info or speculation ;)

i asked the question about changing the pulley and other items, he replied do not change the pulley as it will end in catastrophic engine failure i passed the info onto the other members.

im not going to repeat myself again am i??

Was it information or speculation you got?

Ask Gerald and find out for yourself if it was info or speculation ;)

i asked the question about changing the pulley and other items, he replied do not change the pulley as it will end in catastrophic engine failure i passed the info onto the other members.

im not going to repeat myself again am i??

I have already said that I will endeavour to find out, so you need not repeat yourself or make any further comments especially as you don't appear to be interested in facts anyway.

I'll let you and everyone else know if I learn any factual information :)

So was my engine a one off or will it go again

I have seen an engine throw a rod, but this was following extreme abuse whilst the exhaust system was bent in half which created massive EGT's leading to a catastrophic failure.

The rods look about as strong as sparrows fingers, but they are holding up at around 290hp (although I wouldn't like to say for how long), and I certainly wouldn't use them if the rev limiter was removed.

was this with or without the charger ?

would it not be the same for a normally asspirated is200 ;)

So was my engine a one off or will it go again

I have seen an engine throw a rod, but this was following extreme abuse whilst the exhaust system was bent in half which created massive EGT's leading to a catastrophic failure.

The rods look about as strong as sparrows fingers, but they are holding up at around 290hp (although I wouldn't like to say for how long), and I certainly wouldn't use them if the rev limiter was removed.

was this with or without the charger ?

would it not be the same for a normally asspirated is200 ;)

The rods (and everything else) are subject to less load without a supercharger

i beleive that what mark is mentioning is an IS that was done for Nemesis..

Not strictly true Fargo (although very close) ;)

In fact this was done for Leo Matchiski when he was a student, who subsequently bought Nemesis (Daddy is very wealthy ;) ).

Is that because the addition of forced induction forces everything to increase revs etcthrough the range quicker than originally designed?

Has anyone got a ballpark figure for how long an engine should last with the charger then? Mine's done 10k on top of 60k normally aspirated, what's the most mileage someone's done with the charger as a matter of interest?

i beleive that what mark is mentioning is an IS that was done for Nemesis..

Not strictly true Fargo (although very close) ;)

In fact this was done for Leo Matchiski when he was a student, who subsequently bought Nemesis (Daddy is very wealthy ;) ).

yes, sorry your right mark....

anyway :offtopic: mark,, ill be up tomorrow for a refill..so save some for me..

nathan told me its your shift sat, oh well next time eh.. he did say the new dyno was coming.. just waiting for you to offer a LOC dyno day..

Yes, I heard him tell you that. You have my permission to slap him, especially as I have worked the last three Saturdays to allow him to go swanning off on holiday ;)

We will be setting up the new dyno next week, and then reftting it in the new premises in a couple of months.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links