Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will A S/c Damage My Stock Engine?

PhoneDrome

Is that because the addition of forced induction forces everything to increase revs etcthrough the range quicker than originally designed?

Has anyone got a ballpark figure for how long an engine should last with the charger then? Mine's done 10k on top of 60k normally aspirated, what's the most mileage someone's done with the charger as a matter of interest?

There is increased thermal loading from the higher cylinder temps, and increase loading from the higher cylinder pressures.

We don't have any data regarding the expected life expectancy, but have heard of only 2 failures, one of which was self inflicted through abuse.

Would be interesting to know what the highest mileage supercharged car is.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that because the addition of forced induction forces everything to increase revs etcthrough the range quicker than originally designed?

Has anyone got a ballpark figure for how long an engine should last with the charger then? Mine's done 10k on top of 60k normally aspirated, what's the most mileage someone's done with the charger as a matter of interest?

There is increased thermal loading from the higher cylinder temps, and increase loading from the higher cylinder pressures.

We don't have any data regarding the expected life expectancy, but have heard of only 2 failures, one of which was self inflicted through abuse.

Would be interesting to know what the highest mileage supercharged car is.

what was the second one ??

Well I know what the lowest mileage failure is   :D  :D

8,960 miles

70mph 6th gear

M40 Oxford

Mid July 04  :P

was your the self inflicted one then chris, ragging it up the M6, in front of aido :lol::lol:

Mine didnt happen on the M6 so it wasnt me, and I wasnt raggin it as the ECU telemetry has shown :P

Chris, how much info does the ECU record in terms of timescales, is it 1 min, 2 mins, or 5 mins (or something else?)

Hope they don't look at mine as they'll see some interesting stats!

mine too, especially coming back from the york meet and the toyota factory tour.

has anyone put a charger on an engine that has high mileage?

mines nearly on 108k and i'll be putting a charger on when i move house but am a tad worried about my high mileage and the extra strain, d'ya think i should be?

Chris, how much info does the ECU record in terms of timescales, is it 1 min, 2 mins, or 5 mins (or something else?)

Don't worry it only records the the engine light is on

But Chris, if it only records when the engine light is on how did they know you were or weren't (as in this case) thrashing it?

Or does the light blink on at high revs and record that?

Or does it not record when you go above 6k revs (so I've got nothing to worry about then!)

Mine never recorded anythin cause the engine light never came on

The ECU will only record

Engine revs

Speed etc if that engine light comes on

how did it prove you werent thrashing it then?

not that i think you was mate

Nice one Chris!

Think I've been alright so far, it did come on once but it was gone the next time the car was turned on and the garage couldn't find anything - strange that was!!! Car was limited to 2500ish revs as well which was pants, luckily I was only half a mile away from home when that happened!

@ John, that's what I was thinking mate, maybe they were trying it on when they said that? How would you actually know if an IS was thrashed anyway?

The ECU will only record

Engine revs

1. Nothing recorded to say otherwise

2. Some nutcase (i mean witness :P ) travelling behind at the same speed

The ECU will only record

Engine revs

1. Nothing recorded to say otherwise

2. Some nutcase (i mean witness :P ) travelling behind at the same speed

:lol::lol::lol: :winky:

Oi, less of the nutcase :P

But Chris, when I thrash the nuts off my car the engine light never comes on so does that mean that the garage honestly can't tell what I'm doing?

I've been driving hard now I've got the car back, forgot how much fun the noise was and it's great when the little bit of boost we've got kicks in, the garage would cry if they could see what I was driving like! I've got to admit I was silly yesterday, pulled up next a green IS coming of the M1 and he first looked at the car and saw it was an Is, then his head snapped back again and was like WTF when he heard it - it would have been rude of me not to have shown him what a modded IS sounds like :P

I saw something about a bloke in the US sometime in the last 18 months who get sent down when they used the ECU data to prove he had been speeding well above the limit etc before crashing into someone, there was only something like 30 seconds of data in htere but it included mph and everything which was enough to send him down!

mines nearly on 108k and i'll be putting a charger on when i move house but am a tad worried about my high mileage and the extra strain, d'ya think i should be?

I will do next year (about 125000km then). Don't care. If the engine crashes I will buy a new one. Perhaps sell the S/C-Kit to be able to pay for it :)

BTW this is why I opened this thread. But now I know it will be fine. I will drive my little Lex forever I think :driving:

I will do next year (about 125000km then). Don't care. If the engine crashes I will buy a new one. Perhaps sell the S/C-Kit to be able to pay for it :)

BTW this is why I opened this thread. But now I know it will be fine. I will drive my little Lex forever I think :driving:

way to go Andi!

How can the engine light not come on when the engine has blown up?

Maybe the bulb had popped :P

She still running alright Chris? You started opening her up yet?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links