Chris.S

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

current will rise if voltage falls !!

basic ohms law !!!

That is completly wrong!

Ohms laws is Voltage = Current x resistance.

If you reduce voltage how can current increase?

that is not completly wrong ! :o

ohms law is also: voltage = power/amps

where: power = current squared x ohms

i would imagine the ballast units are rated at for the voltages between 10v and 16v (example)

at a power of 100watts

and voltage of 14 volts

the current would be 7.14amps

at a power of 100watts

and voltage of 11 volts

the current would be 9.09 amps

a discharge light does not dim

the ballast units are there to supply a steady high current to the lamp gasses

like a transformer they give a constant output, but can have variable inputs

As I have already said power is dependant on the voltage. If you have a device that is 100W @ 14 V it will not be 100W @ 11V, the power will be lower.

You can rewrite ohms law anyway you want it's still the same thing V=IR. Power isn't a basic value the three are voltage, current and resistance. Resistance basically remains constant so if you change voltage the current must also change to keep the equation.

This has come up before now. Maybe you would like to explain how these meter readings can occur if you think if voltage goes up the current will go down?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...t=0entry74521

The dipped beam fuses on my car are 15amp but ive changed them to 20's just in case.

main beam on mine are 10amp

Found this about a Hella HID

Doesn't the HID draw a lot of current?

The Hella HID is a 35W lamp - which means it draws about 2-3 Amps when lit. There is an initial surge of about 15 Amps for less than a second to kick it off, but then it rapidly tapers off to the 2-3 Amps.

So yes you could go over stock fuse rating. This high current only lasts about 1/3 second so increasing the fuse value to 20A shouldn't cause any problems on the vehicle wiring.

Got mine installed when I was at work yesterday, very quick install indeed!

Got to admit it's a lot easier installing without the harnesses, tried them out last night and they're alright, better than the standard bulbs for definite!

Hit a very, very bad fog patch last night and you could see exactly where these lights were projecting, they're very defined - I was also checking out the light put onto the road by the bulbs on the motorway and cars with normal HID's were looking yellow compared to these 6300k bulbs!

One thing I did notice for anyone getting new kits, I had a couple of wires included in the kit which seem to swap the blue and black wires around - would these do the same job as the pin swap? I was short on time so didn't get chance to try that out?

• 2 weeks later...

just fitted my prolex hid kit

one word .......superb :D

excellent light output

and thats after having x-whites

time to fit .......12 mins , most of that fitting the lamp in the passenger side (need smaller hands, and bigger eyes)

worked first time,

aido ....you are right about the extension leads, they are to swap the polarity around,

OK, mine have now started flickering occasionally - it's the drivers side light that's doing it - stays on but the brightness shoots up for a split second - very strange indeed! The bulb doesn't seem to go off, it just seems to get ten times brighter for a split second and flashes.

Any ideas?

Did it while the car was stood earlier when I got home - can categorically say that the bulbs were not touched at all during the install......

Is something else about to pop?

OK, mine have now started flickering occasionally

Did you try to replace the standard 10A fuse with a 15A fuse? As discussed, the ballasts draw a lot of power when turning these on, which may just not blow the fuse, but will hamper the power flow a little :unsure:

thought they were 15A allready :o

where are the fuses located :unsure:

@ Gord, yes mate I am using those.

@ Bazza, basically they're like double sided sticky tape that holds the ballast to the car. Is that what you're using?

Think Pete made brackets for his that screw on?