Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Points On Ya Licence

Doodlebug

My son has recently passed his driving test (within the last 6 months) and has just been snapped for speeding and received a ticket in the post.

Now his dilema is, he has 6 points from his days of moped riding which were collected on May and June 2001.

How long to these points stay on his licence?.

I understand that he is not allowed more than 6 points in the first two years of passing his test. Is this in addition to the points he had before he passed?

:yack: :crying::crying:

steve I think the points stay on your licence for three years but insurance companies keep them on their records for 5 years.

another insurance way to get more money from you

But don't quote me on this as it is something I heard mentioned somewher

steve I think the points stay on your licence for three years but insurance companies keep them on their records for 5 years.

another insurance way to get more money from you

But don't quote me on this as it is something I heard mentioned somewher

I just went on experience as I have had 6 points over the last 16 years

crumbs.. time does fly!

Points are technically valid on your licence for 3 years from the time of conviction, not the time of offence.

They stay on your licence physically for 4 years - and the insurance company will want to know about your points for the previous 5 years !

If you collate 6 or more points in your probatioanry driving period (2 years)

You loose the full driving licence entitlement,

you must

*) Re-Apply for a provisional licence

*) Re take a theorey test

*) re Take your practical.

And once you have passed all of this .... DVLA will give you your FULL licence back .... with the points still on it !!!

Regards ....

the policeman who gave me the ticket say they dont effect our ins is this so

mine was  TS10  steve i think said sp30

This would not be for a police officer to say, unless of course he can personally vouch for it !

The insurance company would be able to answer that question best !

I would have thought that it "could" affect your insurance, as you are a higher risk if you are speeding !!

Regards,

the policeman who gave me the ticket say they dont effect our ins is this so

mine was  TS10  steve i think said sp30

I would have thought that it "could" affect your insurance, as you are a higher risk if you are speeding !!

Regards,

mine was not for speeding mine was a ts10

had 3 points on mine for jumpin a amber light (slightly red)

ScarFace Posted Today, 11:29 PM

Points are technically valid on your licence for 3 years from the time of conviction, not the time of offence.

They stay on your licence physically for 4 years - and the insurance company will want to know about your points for the previous 5 years !

If you collate 6 or more points in your probatioanry driving period (2 years)

You loose the full driving licence entitlement,

you must

*) Re-Apply for a provisional licence

*) Re take a theorey test

*) re Take your practical.

And once you have passed all of this .... DVLA will give you your FULL licence back .... with the points still on it !!!

Regards ....

Scarface.

As the 3 points will be my sons first points since passing his test will he lose his licence bearing in mind he has 6 points from his moped days which were all on his provisional licence?

:crying:

Scarface.

As the 3 points will be my sons first points since passing his test will he lose his licence bearing in mind he has 6 points from his moped days which were all on his provisional licence?

This is an interesting question, as I have not come across someone before who has had 6 points on a provisonal, then passed there full drivers licence.

I would say that DVLA could possibly see this as 6+ points, and ask for the licence to be revoked, but I would advise that you call DVLA direct.

Regards,

ScarFace Posted Yesterday, 11:48 PM

QUOTE(Doodlebug @ Dec 6 2004, 10:41 PM)

Scarface.

This is an interesting question, as I have not come across someone before who has had 6 points on a provisonal, then passed there full drivers licence.

I would say that DVLA could possibly see this as 6+ points, and ask for the licence to be revoked, but I would advise that you call DVLA direct.

Regards,

Scarface

Thanks for the reply.

One other question.

My sons previous points have a convition date of December 2001 so the 3 years would be up this month.

With a fixed penalty speeding ticket, what would be the conviction date?

would it be the same as the offence?

So Would the new points be added at the conviction date or the offence date?

Sorry thats three questions.

Scarface

Thanks for the reply.

One other question.

My sons previous points have a convition date of December 2001 so the 3 years would be up this month.

With a fixed penalty speeding ticket, what would be the conviction date?

would it be the same as the offence?

So Would the new points be added at the conviction date or the offence date?

Sorry thats three questions.

The FPN's (fixed penalty ticket's) the conviction date would be the same as the offence date, if he accepts the ticket.

If you contest the ticket, and it goes to court ... then - whenever the court date is heard, that would be the conviction date, though I would not advise a court hearing for a speeding ticket, unless you have strong evidence to disprove the offence.

So, for example - if you got flashed on the Gatso camera on 06/12/2004 - that would be both your offence and conviction date.

Regards.

:offtopic: but scarface, do you know what happens if you get snapped on the m25 between J14 and J12 (where the road works are).

I've heard thats it's just a fixed penalty of £60 and not 3 points aswell?

Thanks

I was told an SP30 does not affect your insurance

Very easy way to show that the robbing bast*rds will have you, is go to tesco.com fill out the form with no points then add 3 points (£60/70 on the first quote) then add another 3 points (£180/200 on the first quote) and just watch the premium go up, I have checked cause now I have 6. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

:offtopic:  but scarface, do you know what happens if you get snapped on the m25 between J14 and J12 (where the road works are).

I've heard thats it's just a fixed penalty of £60 and not 3 points aswell?

Thanks

I doubt that very much .... a fixed penalty is that set by the Home Office, so the 3 points ... comes with the £60 fine ... and vise versa ?

Where did you get that information from ?

Regards,