Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alarm And Remote Central Locking Not Working

I searched and couldn't find an appropriate topic to post my problem.

I have a 1996 Series I Sport which has this alarm type:

Toyota TVSS IIIB Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser and the Toyota EIS Immobiliser.

I've been having problems recently where I'll arm the car with the keyfob and then return to find it will not open with the keyfob despite the light coming on indicating the keyfob is working (Lexus fitted a new Battery in July when I had the car serviced). Usually after a minute or two and numerous presses it will work.

Unlike the previous type of alarm locking/unlocking the door with the key doesn't activate/deactivate the alarm, so I can't open the door with the key without setting the alarm off and if I lock the door with the key the alarm isn't activated.

It has been working flawlessly for a few weeks now, but last night after I removed the 20amp EFI fuse to reset the ECU (since going back to regular unleaded) the keyfob light comes on, but neither button does anything, so at the moment I'm having to lock/unlock the door with the key which means the car's not alarmed.

Does anyone have any ideas before I go to Lexus?

If it is like the older T5000 alarm you have to press down and hold the unlock button on the remote for 30 seconds or more whilst it cycles through the rolling codes so the alarm unit can sync up.

You can also get the same problem if the button is pressed a few times whilst away from the vehicle (e.g. in your pocket). When you come back it is out of sync.

If it is like the older T5000 alarm you have to press down and hold the unlock button on the remote for 30 seconds or more whilst it cycles through the rolling codes so the alarm unit can sync up.

You can also get the same problem if the button is pressed a few times whilst away from the vehicle (e.g. in your pocket). When you come back it is out of sync.

Thanks Colin, I never knew that.

I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

I tried what Colin suggested; I held the button down and it started to flash after a few seconds and I held it for over 30 seconds, but it didn't work. I tried both buttons with the doors locked, unlocked and with the ignition on.

I checked all the fuses and relays to make sure I didn't dislodge anything when removing the EFI fuse, but none of them appear to be related to the alarm system anyway.

Looks like a visit to Lexus.

I'm starting to wish I ported my Clifford Concept 500, with window closure and remote start, over from my previous car.

I have tried the other remote and that doesn't work either.

The light still flashes indicating it's immobilised when the key is removed from the ignition.

The central locking works and we've checked the door, boot and bonnet switches and they appear to be fine.

I can't understand how the remote let me disarm and unlock the doors, so I could open the driver one and then open the bonnet to remove the EFI fuse for 30 seconds, as I changed unleaded fuel, and since putting the EFI fuse back in it neither arms or disarms.

Are there any fuses or relays that relate to the alarm? We've looked in the engine and in the drivers footwell and nothing obvious jumps out.

I thought I'd let you know that it can't be a fuse as it started working again on Saturday night and has been fine ever since.

I think I'm going to see if Lexus can do a diagnostic check to see if that comes up with anything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just a note to say it's still happening intermittently.

When I get time I will go to Lexus to see if they can diagnose and resolve it.

Did you find out the problem, only mine has just given up the ghost, although the other fob I've got works OK.

I've tried the holding the unlock button down to try and re-program it, but no luck?!?! Not sure if it's the Battery as the light still comes on & flashes when I hold down the button? :huh:

Tony.

Found this on TOC, dec 95 - dec 97 GSs use this system (the IIIB system)

if it's TVSS III, you may need to re code the fobs to the car

Find the TVSS III ECU, there should be a security bracket held in with one screw and one rivet. remove this plate. you should find the connector and a small green button. press and hold this button until the red LED stays on (usually around 5 secs) press both buttons together until flashers activate once. try arming. it should lock the doors. if not let me know

note: do this with all doors, bonnet etc SHUT!

Don't know where the ECU is - possible under one of the front seats. Should have TVSS written on it.

Find the TVSS III ECU, there should be a security bracket held in with one screw and one rivet. remove this plate. you should find the connector and a small green button. press and hold this button until the red LED stays on (usually around 5 secs) press both buttons together until flashers activate once. try arming. it should lock the doors. if not let me know

Don't know where the ECU is - possible under one of the front seats. Should have TVSS written on it.

thanks very much

i'll give it ago tomorrow and get back to you

what a very kind man you are :D

it is deffo this alarm as the earlier cars had the button on the key ,and yours is the same year as mine and it is the TVSS 111B.Good luck

In my case my wifes key fob works, but mine doesn't... if the Battery needs replacing would the red LED still illuminate?

I would try swapping batteries, but don't want to b****r up both fobs!!! :unsure:

Tony.

Thanks for the information Colin.
thanks very much

I'll be interested to know how you get on too and where the alarm ECU is.

Me too

Thanks for the information Colin.
thanks very much

I'll be interested to know how you get on too and where the alarm ECU is.

Me too

today i press the key fob for 30 seconds then i opened the car with the key

the alarm went of for about 1 minute and i started the ignition let it run couple of minutes , turned the engine off, took the key out nad pressed unlock button while sitting in the car then locked and unlocked and then started the engine

been out all afternoon driving with no problems.

thanks alot colin and everybody else.

thinking about selling this car anyone interested or offer

let me know. you can email me vt006c1289@blueyonder.co.uk

:D

I've managed to program my second keyfob into the system, but it keeps losing its code, I'd try swapping the Battery first, its a CR2025 Battery, easy enough to replace, just do it in less than 2-3 minutes and your keyfob shouldn't lose its code.

If this doesn't work, do as suggested above in previous posts, i got mine working by opening the car with one keyfob, sitting in it and holding the unlock button on the second remote, although as i say it keeps losing its code, that or it doesn't have enough Battery power to transmit unlock and lock codes

I also found one part of the alarm unit, its under the center armrest pocket, although it seems to only have a sensitivity potentiometer under a rubber grommit, so presumably this is just for ultrasonics, or some sort of sensor, tried adjusting it to see if it affected range, but doesn't appear to do anything so i put it back to the setting it was at. No green button as far as i could see, and it is a TVSS III on it.

If you want to know how to find it, open the armrest, take out the black mat in the bottom, remove the two screws, then close the armrest and use the lid to unclip the front of the armrest box, then open the armrest back up with the lever, and try to lift the pocket out, a flat blade screw driver may help, just make sure your careful prizing the pocket with a screwdriver. Its cliped in by four clips, two at the front and two at the back.

There was a problem with the earlier keyfobs losing their codes on some models, don't know if lexus have a TSB on this, but my dad's old car had the problem where they would seem to lose their codes, he went back to lexus and had them changed for newer ones under warrenty. The old ones have the round buttons, except they don't have arrows on them, the botton unlock button has nothing on it and the top lock button has a circular dimple in it. I have both the arrow marked button one and an older style one with my car, the latter doesn't work, not suprised tbh

ahh it seems i have found my first fault on the new lexus (mk1 300 sport)(not collected it yet and its started allready) , i just got a key , no alarm fob...

not too bothered as im going aftermarket.

are these fobs exp to buy?.

Steve.

p.s. any one tell me the make of these alarms please?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links