Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bmw Invite

gazza200

Not sure why they sent me this :unsure:

Responsive power. Precise handling. Refined comfort. That's what driving should be like. And that's why we'd like to offer you and a guest an exclusive invitation to visit the BMW Performance Centre in Corby, Northamptonshire and to be one of the first to drive the new 3 series.

This complimentary event takes place on Sat 26th Feb, Sun 27th Feb, Sat 5th March and Sunday 6th March. There are 8 half day sessions to choose from giving you the opportunity to drive the definitive sports saloon before its official launch in March.

You'll get the chance to enjoy the new 3 series on the track, on the road and even around a slalom circuit.

While you're putting the car through its paces, younger members of the family can get behind the wheel themselves at the junior driving school. Refreshments and a buffet will be available throughout the day.

Sounds good but... BMW :yack: I think NOT!

Don't forget to switch the fogs on.

Make sure your index finger is okay to show people.

Don't let anyone get in front of you.

Be more arrogant than the dealer.

The BMW experience!!!

How does the BMW marketing dept work? I would fire them all!

Surely they work out who to target for these kinds of events based on careful planning and research?

They must identify people they know are able to buy a new 3 series when it is launched based on financial information?

If so then WHY ON EARTH have I just got an invite!? :o :lol: :D

Being a young driver I have no chance of buying one - but I am definetly gonna go however!! :D I wanted to go on the Lexus Track attack but didn't want to risk messing my Lex up! Here I get to trash a car round a track and my Lex is all nice and safe! And its all on BMW!

Thanks BMW!

How does the BMW marketing dept work? I would fire them all!

Surely they work out who to target for these kinds of events based on careful planning and research?

They must identify people they know are able to buy a new 3 series when it is launched based on financial information?

If so then WHY ON EARTH have I just got an invite!?  :o  :lol:  :D

Being a young driver I have no chance of buying one - but I am definetly gonna go however!! :D I wanted to go on the Lexus Track attack but didn't want to risk messing my Lex up! Here I get to trash a car round a track and my Lex is all nice and safe! And its all on BMW!

Thanks BMW!

at the end of the day out with BMW you should say to them thanks but no thanks!! and say think ill stay with my IS200 :lol: but thanks for the day out :lol:

I'm going - Sunday 6 March AM.

Funny thing is I am just changing the Lexus for a RAV - so no chance of buying a 3 Series !

Couldn't resist the chance to have a poodle round Rockingham though.

Wonder how they will view a LOC mini-meet ... :lol:

I got one through the post last week. Think I might go for it. If nothing, just to show them what a real car looks like. :P

I’m actually going to be going with my mate. We were thinking it would be funny if we turned up in a Lada or something and had a slip with us saying we only understand German!! :lol: My mate has a BBC Press badge too –so that maybe interesting ;)

I think we will probably go on the Saturday 2pm time – it is 150miles from my house so I ain’t gonna want to be there for 10! :ph34:

• 4 weeks later...

Going tommorow! :D :D :D

Can't wait. Read a few reviews of the new 3 series and the magzines all love the way it handles but hate its looks!

Have to be there for 9.30am! Have to set off from Rochdale, Pick my mate up from Oldham and then off to Corby!

If the buffet is crap their is a Pizza Hut 7 miles away too!

Better get to bed :)

Going tommorow! :D :D :D

Can't wait. Read a few reviews of the new 3 series and the magzines all love the way it handles but hate its looks!

Have to be there for 9.30am! Have to set off from Rochdale, Pick my mate up from Oldham and then off to Corby!

If the buffet is crap their is a Pizza Hut 7 miles away too!

Better get to bed :)

Enjoy

Like a fool I cancelled mine yesterday because of the snow, only to wake up today to find it all gone

Have to say I really do like the look of the new 3 series :blush:

Are you doing the X5 course too?

Got back a couple of hours ago! It was GREAT! :D

Took about 2.5 hours to get there - but it was the first time I had driven my car for an extended period since having the Geometry redone and my wheels balanced. It was so comfortable and the time just flew past. :D

Once we arrived at Rockingham (a very impressive facility) we had refreshments and had to hand our insurance forms and things in. Once all that was done we booked a track drive for 10.15.

The track drive was good - but too short. I was just getting into it before it had to end. :( I specifically specified the BMW 330i SE as I wanted the fastest one. On the track it was certainly fast - but not mind blowingly quick as I had expected. Only being a passenger but Gord’s IS200 Supercharged felt faster :excl::excl::excl::ph34r:

It was good fun driving on a track for the first time but I did find it difficult to get used to it. The instructor had the rear view mirror to themselves and wouldn't let me look at any mirrors. My job was basically to just steer, brake and change gear. It was hard to get used to NOT looking in my mirror all the time when changing direction! :P :P But just as I was getting more confident they had to end the session. Oh Well! :crying:

The car was very good going into the corners. I felt it was even better then my IS (even with its TTE AntiRoll bars) but I didn't like the steering - felt it was abit too heavy for my liking – not like the speed sensitive one on the IS which I think is much nicer. Didn’t like the gearbox – a bit stiff (but I think that’s because its new). No electronic seats either on the 32K 330i SE that I drove! :lol:

Next it was the turn to drive it on a normal road. This time we got a 320d SE. Basically we drove around a few local roads in a procession of about 5 cars. Nobody really got to "put their foot down" but again the car was nice on the road too. Comfortable ride, quiet and refined. The Diesel engine was really good - lots of torque! Couldn’t believe it was diesel. :D Once the drive was over it was back to Rockingham for lunch and then onto the best bit! Off Road in an X5!! :D :D

The off-road instructor was really nice and the X5 auto was such a doodle to drive! It was hands down the most enjoyable part for me. We went over so many “mini-mountains”, swap-like roads, standing water and LOTS of muck! It was great fun and I really enjoyed it. The car even automatically brakes as you are descending downhill! Wicked! :hehe: I'm not a fan of 4x4 but the X5 was really comfortable and felt "car-like" :shifty:

Afterwards it was off to lunch (didn’t like anything on offer) so we went to the slarlum course. Unfortunately it was finishing so we didn’t get time to have a go on it – but it again looked really cool.

The event was well organised and everyone was really polite and helpful. I was asked if I would consider buying one – I said that I’d wait until the new Lexus IS came out before deciding (not that I can really afford it for a good few years: LOL!!)

The standard 320SE was not really much faster then the standard IS200 (150bhp Vs 155Bhp on the Lex and 0.5 seconds faster to 60mph)

Overall, there is no denying that the BMW 3 series is a very nice car -but their is something missing that means I don’t like it as much as I should! Maybe its brand-loyalty?

I saw quite a few Lexus’s in the carpark. Anyone from here go? ;)

Also I’m still not sure if it looks nice or not! From some angles its pretty nice, but from others it looks ugly – to much Rover 75 like for my tastes! The older model I actually think looks nicer!

So I’ve driven the latest and best that BMW can offer and I do truly prefer the Lexus IS. I think that if I had more time with the BMW however (like a 24-48 hour test drive) then I think my opinion could change. The IS was released in 99 and I think it still looks fresh and handles just as nicely (if not nicer) then the 2004/5 BMW on the road.

Overall a great day out and if anyone is having doubts about going to the next sessions in March I’d definitely recommend them.

Thanks,

Anees

I just said that I want the 330 and waited until they made one available for me on the track! :)

Tried to say that, but the queue was very long and they said you had to take what car comes first, still fun throwing the 320i round. :)