Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'91 ls 400 sub.

Hi,

i'm presuming that the large speaker in the middle of the parcel shelf is indeed a sub? if so can someone give me some info about it? i.e. what size is it? (i'd guess at 8 inches but??) what sort of standard amplification is used? (the head unit is branded as a pioneer) and where is the amp (if there is one) hidden?

also what would people recommend as a replacement? should i change the amplification?

at the moment bass seems to tail off the more i turn the volume up so at 1/2 way it's starting to sound a bit mid/toppy.

cheers

julian

>i'm presuming that the large speaker in the middle of the parcel shelf is indeed a sub? if so can someone give me some info about it? i.e. what size is it? (i'd guess at 8 inches but??) what sort of standard amplification is used? (the head unit is branded as a pioneer) and where is the amp (if there is one) hidden?

I'm not familiar with the LS but there is an excellent site at http://www.retrodrive.net/ which goes into sound system installation in an LS in lots of detail. The amp in the GS is in the boot at the driver's side under the CD player (which may or may not help). I think the sub is indeed an 8 inch.

>also what would people recommend as a replacement? should i change the amplification?

Speaking for the GS again, the standard amplification will give you quite a reasonable SPL for normal listening. If you change the speaker, consider installing a 10 inch, which will give you a bit more volume. Mount it on a baffle board underneath the parcel shelf. Make sure you get a 'free air' model. Standard drivers designed for an enclosure will not work properly. Pioneer do one that's not too bad and not too expensive. For the same price you could get a Vifa (far superior) but I don't know anyone in the UK who carries it. No probs in the US, though.

>at the moment bass seems to tail off the more i turn the volume up so at 1/2 way it's starting to sound a bit mid/toppy.

That sounds like power amp compression, which I suppose could occur if you have the bass control turned up full. It's also possible that your speaker could be shagged. They do wear out, unfortunately.

Stevie