Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

60,000 Mile Service

Marty703

Hi all

My Lexus IS200 SE Auto is due a 60000 mile service.

Ive been quoted £421 for the service.

I was also told that the coolant needs changing every 2 years, is this really necessary? quoted £81

I was also told that the brake fluid will need changing every 2 years, is this really necessary? quoted £60

Also the Fan belt £280.

Do I really have to pay £842 for this service or can some of the options be dalayed till the next intermediate service to soften the blow.

Thanks for your replies

Marty

Hi all

I was also told that the coolant needs changing every 2 years, is this really necessary? quoted £81

I was also told that the brake fluid will need changing every 2 years, is this really necessary? quoted £60

Also the Fan belt £280.

Do I really have to pay £842 for this service or can some of the options be dalayed till the next intermediate service to soften the blow.

Thanks for your replies

Marty

i am taking my car to a seperate garage for my 60k service. On the list is a brake fluid change, oil, filter, gearbox oil, spark plugs. not much else. anything else is them fattening up the bill.

Total charge from my garage in hatfeild peveral - who also work on rally cars - £135 if i supply my own sparkplugs - Mr prolex will be my man for those! much cheaper than the £440 that i was quoted!

Hi all

Also the Fan belt £280.

Thanks for your replies

Marty

Coolant should be changed every 2 years after the first 3 years - yes it is necessary if you don't want your radiator and water pump to corrode.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years if you want to maintain the braking system efficiency.

Normally because the coolant is first changed at 3 years you don't have them both done on the same service.

The service price quoted should contain those items anyway - not as extras.

Fan belt - I guess they mean timing belt? That should only be done at 100k miles.

• 1 year later...

Fan belt - I guess they mean timing belt? That should only be done at 100k miles.

It states in the book DRIVE BELTS

Which when you speak to Lexus UK they state that this means the FAN Belt

Not the Timing belt/cam belt.

My 60000 on an IIS200 service quote was £671 at Lexus Bristol £300+ on top of the £671 if I wanted them to also do the cam belt.

I called Lexus uk to ask about the initail £671 and they said they would get Lexus Bristol to call me back to explain there pricing, which they had already done.

Anyway sure enough within 5 mins lexus bristol called me, I told them not to worry, they then said theyve managed to apply some discount and the price is now £491.

Sounds strange and unbelievable I know but that is fact, what lexus uk told them Ive no idea.

• 2 months later...

• 6 months later...

Lexus Twickenham charged £600 for 60K service. And I had more problems with it when they had finished than when it went in. I shall not be going to Lexus again for service.

What really baffles me is the Free inspection they provide. Lexus Jemca done one a few months ago and say I need £1500 worth of work done to the car. Then Lexus Twikenham did one when they carried out the service and said I need another £1600 worth of work. What I dont understand if they are supposed to be professional technicians the problem they spotted should all be the same, but they wern't. It was a completely set of different problem!!!!

Ahem...

If I'm reading all this right... it appears you buy a Lexus because they are really good cars, but don't take them to a Lexus dealer for servicing, because you will be overcharged to the hilt.. Use a reputable mechanic...

Is that about right?

Sounds just what I've saying about Mazda dealers for years.. :)

The Coolant and breke fluid needs to be changed every 2 years after the first 3 years from new!

Go to Nationwide AUTO centres book online and get a discount plus if you got a Tesco or AA card u get more discount and have a Major service done!

Cars are depreciating so fast now that when you sell it wont be worth all the expensive services you have had done from Lexus in my opinion!

At 60 the plugs need to be changed also and dont go to main dealer they will charge you £20 a plug x 6 plugs = £120 (iridium Tipped)

I bought my iridium tipped spark plugs from eBay for £29.99 + £2.99 delivery!

Lexus quoted me £441 for my 100K service (my cambelt had already been done previously) Nationwide charged me £196 and changed the coolant and brake fluid, I supplied my own plugs and they did a major service which is a 24K service!

up to you!

• 5 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links