Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Im Going To Go Insane

Fatbillslim

Im going to talk to my insurance on monday, but does any one know if you can drive with a cast on?

i broke my right radious (arm) close to the wrist, i have a cast on were my thumb and fingers are exposed but my palm is mostley coverd i could hold the wheel i supose but not as well as normal.

ive done 5days of 6 weeks of having a cast and im going stupid with out my lex.

i won't go near my car unless i was sure it was leagal

what does the law say or is it an insurance company thing.im off work for 6week to on sick. so i dont REALY need to drive but its just being traped at home is makeing me crazy.

thanks

Im going to talk to my insurance on monday, but does any one know if you can drive with a cast on?

i broke my right radious (arm) close to the wrist, i have a cast on were my thumb and fingers are exposed but my palm is mostley coverd i could hold the wheel i supose but not as well as normal.

ive done 5days of 6 weeks of having a cast and im going stupid with out my lex.

i won't go near my car unless i was sure it was leagal

what does the law say or is it an insurance company thing.im off work for 6week to on sick. so i dont REALY need to drive but its just being traped at home is makeing me crazy.

thanks

I would ask your doctor.

if anything happened - he's the person the insurance company would ask.

if he says you are OK - get it in writing.

if he says no - :crybaby:

Had the same dilema last year - radical surgury on leg / hip - in the end I looked it up on DVLA WWW Site - there is a list of notifiable medical items given.

My Surgeon also said no driving for 2 months though Insurance Co. (Direct Line) we more relaxed about it.

Nothing was in writing so I drove after 6 weeks with no problems.

If you aren't able to grip the wheel properly, I'm sure that the plod would regard this as not being in proper control of the vehicle. Imagine if you had a bump because you couldn't maneouvre quickly enough AND you were prosecuted AND your insurance wouldn't pay out - I wouldn't take the risk.

If you aren't able to grip the wheel properly, I'm sure that the plod would regard this as not being in proper control of the vehicle. Imagine if you had a bump because you couldn't maneouvre quickly enough AND you were prosecuted AND your insurance wouldn't pay out - I wouldn't take the risk.

i agree with the above. I'd be very careful with regards to what your insurance company will say now. it more of the case of what will they say if you were unfortiunate enough to have a bump, would they use your medical condition as a get out for themselves. :unsure:

• 1 month later...
I moved this into the motoring legal forum - that way, once scarface stops faffing about with his new IS300, he may give you some advice from a policing perspective..... :rolleyes:

Only kidding fella......  :D

Erm, - erm ........ this is very true, I have only noticed this topic :ohmy:

Good point, driving with a plaster cast - "could" be deemed as "not in proper control of vehicle"

I will look more into this ...... and post ........... watch this space ! ;)

you need to get the doctors advice written down and forward it to your insurance company, if your insurance company agree with your doctors advice you will then need that in writing also.

dont drive unless you have a note from your doctor and your insurance company to say you can.

ive prosecuted someone before for causing a serious accident with a cast on, he hadnt spoken to anyone nor did he have anything in writing.

the judge hammered him in court.

Friend of mine (who had a cast) got around the problem by fitting on of those small wheel type thingies to his steering wheel, could steer easliy by gripping it with one hand. I'm sure it was legal too. Think you can get them from the motability type places

I had a complex tib/fib fracture 2.5 years ago after someone put a football tackle in on me. Ended up with a steel rod in the leg held in place with 4 screws. I didn't drive for 7 months whilst I was on crutches.

It drove me mad as I had to let the missus drive all the time !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links