Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aircon causing performance hit ??

Doesn anyone else with a MKI GS300 notice a performance hit when using the aircon ??

I've had it on and off for the last couple of weeks.

Even at speed around 70mph, if i turn it on and off i'm sure i can feel it...

Could this be a problem ??

Dean..

I notice it on mine

But in fact leaving the air con on does the system good.. last year my car needed gassing as it was empty.. it was the first summer i had the car... the gas only lasted two months becuase the seals had shriveled due to the last owners not using it.. this year i have had the car refilled again but I now leave it on permanantly and it is fine.. 4 months and is still very cold inside.

They recommened even in the winter to run it for a little while to keep the system from drying up.

The A/C compressor does drain power from the engine when it is operating, from 5-10 H.P. depending on temperature setting, the colder you want it inside, the more the compressor has to work to pressurise the system. So if you`re going racing, open the "Moon" roof.

Moon roof my a... :lol:

It was at motorway cruising i noticed it - so sounds like nothing to worry about...

Id never noticed on the Supra, except when idling so thought there might have been a problem...

Noticing the comment on a few MPG less - what do people get out of their 300's ??

Dean.

Originally posted by TonyGooseRich - if you don't feel the drag from your a/c in the IS, i think it must be broken :)

Well it certainly keeps me nice and cool so I think its ok! I haven't tried the steady speed test, but I had tried trashing it with it on and with it off and couldn't notice any difference in performance. I'll try the steady speed test on the way home tonight!

If you leave the aircon off it should be fine. In winter I had my airon off, and whenever I switched it to the windscreen it would attempt to switch itself on automatically, but I would turn it straight off and all was fine.

The problem comes when you have had the aircon on (perhaps from putting it to the windscreen setting) then you turn it off. The system will then be very damp and will steam the car up.

When I turn the Air con on in my GS I hear the little whoosh as the compressor kicks in but although the air is "cold" - it is not appreciably colder than sticking my hand out of the window whilst moving. Does this sound like it needs a top up? so that it will truly blow cold?

Does anyone know what the glass topped device is passenger side just behind the grill - it looks like the window you get on some batteries and the colour tells you what charge - I was wondering if it tells how full the system is?

The little glass topped device just in front of the rad on the passenger side is the refrigerant flow indicator. If the system is up to pressure you should only see bubbles flow passed window when the compressor cuts in and out and then it should only be for a second or so. If the system is low on pressure the refrigerant will stay as a liquid, the compressor should take it over the threshold to a gas.

Here endeth the first lesson. :cool:

I have just had the a/c done on my car I had to have a new compresser and new piping. the a/c seems a lot colder than the 16 degrees indicated. I notice a drop in revs on idle but as I have it on most of the time I do not notice a power drop. to have it regassed is around £150 :o but in the long run it is well worth the comfort. :):)

• 5 weeks later...