Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Welcome to LOC :D

All the best :blush:

My fingers are crossed for you mate

Had the same problem when I was buying my RX

The price was 2much I thot at the time (That was about 18months and 20000+ miles ago) So far no fault found

As you said you might bite the bullet. Or look around and see if you could get better. And that also includes your P/X was offered 1500. But the wife bargained (HARD) and we got about 2250.

Once again Good luck and all the best :zee:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a 93 200E  white ,  front electric windows. mirrors and sunroof, (I know please dont laugh) standard wheels. its had two keepers and has full service history,

106k on the clock.

I can't find a 200E on parkers or whatcar mate :blush:

One think on the Lexus the last stamped service was feb 02, and nothing after that, though it runs and sounds excellent. I have been told it will get a service and new cambelt when I buy it, but is this a worry do you think?

There is no papers for anything after this date. He did say it had a full service history but thats all there was. I'll have to pick him up on that I think :D

regards

Ian

if there was a full service history - then it would have been serviced at least three times after that - and there would be paperwork to prove it.

Thats one thing to throw in his face mate - spotty service history.

If he gonna service it, make sure it is a full service, plugs, belts and fluids. ;)

Thanks for that :D , and also I think you have made my mind up on something as well.

If he wont give me anymore for my Merc I'll just bite the bullet, and buy it. But there is a something he will have to do first. There is more than one Lexus out there :D

for a £700 trade in I want a proper service then, the 80k one, as you said all the fluids and belts etc , plus an MOT for a full twelve months.

I can get an independant garage to check its been done, (ive known the guy since he was an aprentice , and he has his own garage now)

I just had a look at the advert, and it does say a full service history, but it isnt as I saw the book.

On the plus side it is a car that has been VERY well looked after, the engine sounds brilliant surely it hasnt gone this long without a check over?

But I am going to take your advice. I am smitten with the GS, but I am willing to look for another one if I have to. Keep your fingers crossed for me as i'm going to call his bluff tomorrow :)

regards

Ian

Hi

Just an update , I'm not quite out of the woods yet, I used ALL the advice I was given and it seems to be working I think. He has offered £750 for the car, I said ok I can live with that, but there is a problem. He said what ? I said :D , I'll have the car but I want it fully serviced, not just liquids topped up, but everything, cam belt , plugs etc changed , plus an MOT for 12 months. or I said I wasnt touching it.

He said to me well its only done 15k 2002 since the last service i said so what lol.

I was told if it is serviced, it would be in house, so I told him dont try and fob me off by saying you have done the work and you have'nt, I have had my fingers burnt before on this , I'm now just waiting for a call back. You guys have been brilliant, thankyou. If they say no then there must be a problem with it, and I will look for another one, but I am keeping my fingers crossed because it is a beauty.

regards

Ian

:ohmy: oooo the tension

Good luck Ian, we are all eagerly waiting to hear if you win through!

By the way, using the Add Reply button instead of the " Reply button avoids re-quoting the entire thread each time!

Chris

Welcome to LOC :D

All the best  :blush:

My fingers are crossed for you mate

Had the same problem when I was buying my RX

The price was 2much I thot at the time (That was about 18months and 20000+ miles ago) So far no fault found

As you said you might bite the bullet. Or look around and see if you could get better. And that also includes your P/X was offered 1500. But the wife bargained (HARD) and we got about 2250.

Once again Good luck and all the best  :zee:

Thankyou. its great on here :D . I find out today , ive added to the earler post on whats happening, as a result of the advice I have been given I read the poor guy the riot act and said whats to be done. I wouldnt have know what to say but it seems to be working, i'll keep you posted as soon as he calls back, but its a nice feelling to turn the whole thing around

best

wishes

Ian

oh I also told him I want every electric gadget checked and working as well

have I gone too far I wonder? :D

Good luck Ian, we are all eagerly waiting to hear if you win through!

By the way, using the Add Reply button instead of the " Reply button avoids re-quoting the entire thread each time!

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks for that :D . its being a fenland carrot cruncher I'm having a technology overload LOL *** knows what going to happen to me if I get this car, I'll be sitting up all night fiddling with all the gadgets.

regards

Ian

and I got that wrong! . ive replied with no reply , but Ive sussed it now. I think.

knows what going to happen to me if I get this car, I'll be sitting up all night fiddling with all the gadgets.

regards

Ian

That's what I do, I read the manual from cover to cover and have to try out every button and switch. And on a Lex, that does take all night!

Hi :D ,

I'm not sure if I have this posted thing sorted out right yet, I think I have so if anyone wants to put me right feel free. Were I live we still use clay tablets to write on :) .

And now for the good news! , and I couldnt have done it without the help thats for sure. They have agreed to give it its major service. Plugs all fluids, filters, all oils, cambelt brakes etc, plus making sure ALL the gadgets work properly:yahoo: I also asked if they could fill the car up with petrol for me , I said you can knock the VAT of for me as you can claim that back :D I pick it up Friday , and I cant wait . My car insurance has gone up by £22 a month, but I dont drink or smoke, the car is my pleasure

I need to ask for help again though. I need to get a small amount of black paint made up , just for a couple of stone chips.

I need the colour code for a Black 94 Lexus GS. It cant be found on the car, but I would love to have it made up ready so I can just cover the marks up friday afternoon , the motor factors where I live said they dont need the car to look at ,just the code.

Thankyou for all your help :)

regards

Ian

it makes the inside of my merc look cheap

Thanks Peter.

Had a look at your car :D , it makes the other cars look a little out of place!.

I have one question to ask regarding repairs , Ive noticed on some of the other threads that some things are expensive to replace or repair, but is this the norm?, when I was talking on the phone to a Lexus dealer things like brakes and belts etc seemed reasonable compared to my old Merc. I could even get some basic parts from my local motor discount store. I have read on the whole it is a very relaible motor and thats one of the things that helped me decide to buy it, but reading a thread on the needle light blowing was a bit scary , I honestly thought it was back lit by LED! :D . If one of these goes can you still see the needle? The garage I have bought the car off has promised to change the back bulb as the 0 - 30 is unlit (I have it in writing :) ) So I think I have saved a few bob there.

I'm just a little worried as I wont be able to see what speed im doing if the needle goes.

had another bit of good news as well the guy who services my other car looks after two GS300 as well :D , he even has access to diagnostic equipment.

He said for a full service (filters and plugs oil etc) would be £150 for me , I'm thinking thats a good price. Ive known him since he was a young apprentice, he has his own small garage now. Its not the poshest in the world but he really does know his stuff, and always has a huge row of cars waiting to be done

Its funny how life turns out :) , I wasnt even thinking of a Lexus two weeks ago.

I never thought I would be able to own a really smart car.

regards

Ian

This story has been one of the best adventures of recent times - and I mean that sincerely. It's great that you've fallen for the Mk1 GS300. I hope you like it as much as I like mine. I bought mine last year and I don't regret it for a moment. This is a fabulous car. My car had only done 58000 on a P reg. I'm up to 66000 now and have put the car through its 'big' 63K service at the main dealer at a cost of £700. But, hey, it's worth it. This is a luxury car. I can enjoy sitting in jams as much as cruise controlling down the motorway. The car has a real presence and stands out from the usual dross. It gets respect. Take some of your friends and family out in it. You'll find that they'll love it too.

As to support on this site, it's just outstanding. I admit that I don't add much to it but I admire the efforts of all those selfless folk who do. Welcome to this friendly little club.

Thanks again for the warm welcome :D , love the body kit!

Ive noted the paint info down as well, i'm sure thats will be the one so I can order a can tomorrow. its a one min job. The only other thing I have to look at is one scratch on the back wing, it looks like a bag has caught it, but the white undercoat is showing. its not very long or big, but i'm sure I will be able to sort it out with out spraying.

I found the coloured wax polish worked very well on the Merc, but that was white, ive never used black before.

regards

Ian

I want to tart it up so I can pose going into work monday week, I havnt told anyone :D

Hi Ian, welcome to the club.

You'll LOVE :wub: the GS mate! Had mine nearly three months now and still can't get enough of driving it... every night after work & tea, I have to take the car out for a spin :winky:

Tony.

Got mine Dec 2002 and have done over 60,000 in it in just over 2 years. In that time I've had to have replaced a rear wheel bearing (£60 fitted) and part of the exhaust system (£200 for the part). At 110,000 miles it needed new discs and pads all round. I've also replaced part of the air con and that cost about £500 fitted.

All in all it's been relative cheap motoring. I paid £10,500 and at that point she was a 2 owner car with 58,000 miles on the clock and the first owner was the dealership (all of 2 months). It's probably not worth too much now but then neither would anything else. However and it's a big HOWEVER, the GS still feels and drives like new. The engine purrs and apart from the trapped hamster in the sun rood there are no other squeeks.

I also think it sill looks good (Didn't like the back of the MKII and so went for the MK1)

Thanks guys :) ,

It makes next friday seem a long way off, I can wait, also I'm not going to tell anyone apart from close family what I have bought. Am I looking forward to going into work monday week! :D.

What I am amazed over , and very surprised, is the GS is just as good on the fuel as my 2ltr merc. It didnt bother me if it was going to be a bit more, but when I saw the figures in the spec for the GS I sat there and thought :huh: wait a min, Ive seen these figures before. and sure enough , give or take one mile the mpg is the same.

My question is this , how did Lexus do that? its a bigger car , and just as economical as my old merc. Im not that hot on engine technology,but for me thats really amazing .

7 Days to go :D

sorry to put a downer on the mpg but mine is terrible around town ,i reckon about 16 to the gallon ,but on the motorway it is much better .it all depends on how you drive it ,i am very heavy footed with mine and tend to cruise at about 90mph on the motorway .

I live outside Peterborough, so I dont do much city driving. I live about ten mile from work and outside the city, but its a long country road, so just apart from slowing down for junctions I rarely get into heavy traffic. And then there is the little trips at the weekend as well. But i'm not a heavy driver really

dont laugh! its the first time Ive had a cd player in the car :D

Just a thought Mudzs :D when I do go into the town center (which I dont if I can help it) my Merc does about 20 in town, as it weighs over one and a half ton.

But the engine is a 2ltr, and I have read no end of stuff about mercs having too small an engine in to pull the weight , and its very true. I notice it at roundabouts.

Just to add all my cars are automatics :) because I was born with spinal problem, so I have a bit of a do changing gears, as it makes my back ache , this brings me onto the heated seats ! boy I cant wait to try them out. Im also a bit short 5ft 6 so if I raise the seat up I'll look like a tall person sitting down LOL :D

i dont think you will notice any difference at all in petrol consumption as a heavy 2 litre car will use more than a 3 litre as it is working a lot harder to pull the weight of the car ,as for the heated seats mine are not that good compared to my vw golf that i had but then i also suffer with a bad back so i like the seat roasting,i think the mk2s seats are a lot better .