Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It's

ECT PWR

and

SNOW

Basically, the ECT is like a "sports" button on AUTO's .... just holds the revs out a bit longer ...... and keeps gear in for longer before it changes.

SNOW is the opposite, it kills the "kick down" feature in an auto .... so if ICY/SNOW wheather conditions are apparent, you can't 'kick down' and lose control.

• Like 1

It's

ECT PWR

and

SNOW

Basically, the  ECT is like a "sports" button on AUTO's .... just holds the revs out a bit longer ...... and keeps gear in for longer before it changes.

SNOW is the opposite, it kills the "kick down" feature in an auto .... so if ICY/SNOW wheather conditions are apparent, you can't 'kick down' and lose control.

just reading about that in lexus manual help minimize rear wheel spin

• Like 1

It's

ECT PWR

and

SNOW

Basically, the  ECT is like a "sports" button on AUTO's .... just holds the revs out a bit longer ...... and keeps gear in for longer before it changes.

just reading about that in lexus manual help minimize rear wheel spin

I was just about to post RTFM ;)

It retards the car's performance to prevent wheel spinning etc during slippery conditions...... something the southerners need by the bucket full judging by every time we get a frost in Surrey and the number of cars I see abandoned or with big dents in on the way to work ;)

Which series RX do you have?

SNOW mode, as people have said, alters the transmission shift pattern. Shifts up earlier, shifts down later etc to prevent wheelspin etc.

If you have a vehicle equiped with an electronic throttle (series II only, not series I) then it also makes the throttle less sensitive.

• Like 2

SNOW mode, as people have said, alters the transmission shift pattern. Shifts up earlier, shifts down later etc to prevent wheelspin etc.

If you have a vehicle equiped with an electronic throttle (series II only, not series I) then it also makes the throttle less sensitive.

I have the 2005 model (series 2).

Does it matter if you have it on all the time? does it consume more fuel in this mode?

I also saw a few postings up that there is a way to put the RX in "sports ECT" mode so that it does the opposite. How is this done? I can only see one button saying ECT Snow?

You can have it on all the time if you wish although you lose a bit of performance. I use it sometimes in stop/start traffic which makes it easier to drive smoother.

Not 100% sure on the RX series II but snow mode is normally reset when the engine is turned off, so you would have to press the button every time you used the vehicle if you wanted to keep it on all the time.

It doesn't use more fuel, possibly a bit less as you tend not to drive so hard.

The other posting about sports ECT mode are general posting and not specifically about the RX. The IS, GS and even import RX300 have this power mode. The UK RX300s do not have this.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ECT SNOW on the Rx 300.

ECT = Electronically Controlled Transmission.

SNOW = For driving in potentially slippery / snow / icing conditions.

Press this button when driving in above conditions to reduce the onset if inadvertant wheel spin.

It desensitises the throttle pedal and also prevents the Rx from selecting first gear as it will force the gearbox to pull away from standstill using second gear.

Can be used all the time and will not increase fuel consumption as it purely manages the gear changes and throttle sensetivity.

Incidently, using this mode is the only way to prevent the gearbox lurching from slow speed starts, (see other threads), so it is useful if driving in slow spped traffic conditions.

Hope this helps

RxMike.

• Like 1

• 14 years later...

I found a (push push) button today that I haven't seen before but perhaps not surprising as it is hidden by the flap of the the glove box of the RX.  If anybody does not know what it's for, it stops the hatch from being operated by the key fob,

15 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I found a (push push) button today that I haven't seen before but perhaps not surprising as it is hidden by the flap of the the glove box of the RX.  If anybody does not know what it's for, it stops the hatch from being operated by the key fob,

That's another thing I've learnt (and will probably forget).

Old age never comes alone 👵

Also seems to do something to the rear diff when slowing down to prevent the car from spinning out. Used it in thick snow a couple of years ago and was amazed by the difference it made, even on crap tyres the car felt planted!!!

Press the button, witchcraft and wizardry happened and the car transformed into a go anywhere beast!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1