Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ultimate Tyre Wear/life Thread

LennyLexus

MAKE/MODEL: GOODYEAR EAGLE F1s

SIZE: 18in (225/40R 18Z)

MILEAGE: 3k

THREAD LEFT: 6-7(approx)

DRIVING STYLE: 40% Gentleman, 60% Loony

OTHER NOTES: Bought from STS in Watford. Originally running at 33psi Geometry done new. Double checked after 3,000 miles, now running the tyres at 35psi as they were wearing on the edges quicker than in the centre.

"Pressure" Eddie it's all down to pressure :D best thing is.... its not down to geometry. now you can relax.

so should the pressure be at 35psi

allways done them at 33psi :unsure:

Dunlop SP9000 (OEM 17's)

First set: 26,000 with 50% motorway crusing 50% enthusiastic.

Second set - 18,000 so far, with most tread left - 75% cruising, 25% semi-enthusiastic..

(worth mentioning, the first set went on the edges due to, *ahem* pushing it a little on corners, I take it much easier on this set)

MAKE/MODEL: Dunlop SP9000's MFS

SIZE: 17in (215/45 Z17)

MILEAGE: 20k

THREAD LEFT: Fronts - about 3mm

Rears - about 1.7mm on right, 1.5mm on left (about to replace)

DRIVING STYLE: 70% Gentleman, 30% Licence Loser

OTHER NOTES: Had longer life out of these than any others I've had but would still like more. Been leaving it as long as I can but as you can see, need doing urgently. Also going to get geometry done as well as not sure its spot on. About to get Goodyear F1 GD3's.

• 4 weeks later...

Here you go Raz ;)

MAKE/MODEL: OEM Bridgestones

SIZE: OEM 17s (215/45-R17)

MILEAGE: 16k

THREAD LEFT: 0mm

DRIVING STYLE: 40% Gentleman, 60% Agressive

OTHER NOTES: Rear tyres have worn from the centre, were brand new tyres when i bought the car. Never been rotated :tomato:. Bought the car with new tyres all round, went through two sets of tyres on the front within 3k cause the alignment wasnt corrected by the dealer...third time it went in they sorted it and am still running the third set (around 13k)....just glad i didnt pay for them :)

Make / Model: OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE040

Size: 215/ 45 ZR17 on factory alloys (original tyres still)

Mileage: 23,000

Thread left: Rear 50% (see below) Fronts 0% :blush:

Driving Style Gentleman NEVER Lunatic WHENEVER POSSIBLE :driving:

Had to replace a tyre as I punctured side wall, put spare on recently also so have 2 tyres at around 50% and the other 2 as as bald as a baby's arse :lol: I would have changed them weeks ago but need to get geometry done first and trying to find somewhere that knows what I am talking about and that I trust isn't easy. Dont want to ruin the new rubber. :yawn:

Inside fifth of fronts are dangerously bald and rears (which were on the front) also worn on inside fifth (camber / toe is off I suppose :blink: )

• 1 month later...
MAKE/MODEL: OEM Dunlop SP9000 Sport MFS

SIZE: OEM 17s (215/45-ZR17)

MILEAGE: 70350mi

THREAD LEFT: 2-3mm (approx) on the one remaining original tyre.  All others have been replaced and have 5-7mm.

DRIVING STYLE: 95% Gentleman, 5% Agressive

OTHER NOTES:

The original rear tyres lasted around 40k mi.

The original front tyres were moved to the rear when the original rears wore out at 40k mi.

The passenger side was replaced again at about 60k mi so both tyres now have over 5 mm of tread.

The driver's side still has one original tyre with 2-3 mm of tread left after 70k mi. and one replacement tyre with around 5 mm of tread left.

Last week I was finally forced to replace my last remaining original tyre. The tread was getting very close to the legal limit and it got a nail in it. :angry:

After 3.5 years and 74040 miles I am certainly not complaining though. :D

Will definitely be sticking with SP9000's while I can continue to get them. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
come on guys more replys please

just changed my OEM Potenzas RE040 215/45/ZR17 s at 22,000 miles because they were cracking in the thread groves on all four they had an average of 3.6 mm left according to the Bridgestone rep who gave me a 50 % discount on a new set of Potenza RE050 s.

I rotated front to back at 15,000

They are definitely quieter than the 040 s but hant driven enough for any other comments

rgds

Nick

come on guys more replys please

Hankook Ventus Sport 104 - Front

Dunlop Sport 01 (DSST) - rear

OEM 'straight' sport wheels with 245/40 18's all round

Approx 10,000 on front and about 6,000 on rears

Approx 4-5 mm of tread left on fronts and same on rears

Driving style 50/50 gentlemanly/sportingly

Now the bad points: rear passenger side tyre wearing unevenly on inner edge, same on front passenger side. Had laser alignment check done prior to last tyre refit and some adjustment made, but no print out of settings. No doubt adjustments could have been made wrongly.

Car is booked in with my garage to have front and rear suspension check, then will be booking appointment with Wheels-in-Motion to have a 'proper' geometry check done befor I replace any of the tyres.

MAKE/MODEL: Vredestein Sportrac

SIZE: 225/60/16/Z

MILEAGE: 32k

THREAD LEFT:3mm ish

DRIVING STYLE: 75/25

OTHER NOTES: Just replaced all 4 last weekend with a new set of these.(these notes apply to the old ones o'course). Great tyres wet and dry, would recommend to anyone. Usually need to be ordered, I got mine from JustTyres in Strood (Kent). Mixed driving including A LOT of caravan towing.