Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flashing Tape Sound Proofing?

Hi,

I have just been having a quick look at sound proofing sheets - thinking of sound proofing my boot, under the seats and rear arches when the Carputer goes in. :winky:

I did a few searches on google groups and found that Flashing Tape seems to be highly regarded and is as good as Dynamat Normal!! :question:

I had a look at eBay and I can get at 300m x 10m roll for £17.99!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WD1V

That is MILES cheaper then Dynamat, Brown Bread and others. Sure I can get it at a similar price from local DIY places.

I did a quick search here and read about a member that uses it and he seems to rate it!

Any good or is it a case of "too good to be true" :blush:

Thanks

I've used it and found it to be fine.

done all my boot out as the noise from my exhaust (blitz Nur-spec ) was echoing when the boot was empty. Lined it with flashing tape and now sounds as quite as when the boot is full to brim.

This is also the stuff i have been using :P on my previous car i used the brown bread stuff but this stuff is very very similar at only a fraction of the price and so this will be the stuff im going to line the boot with. already half done :ph34r:

If its good enough for you, its good enough for me! :P :D

Anybody got any pictures of a dynamatted/flashing taped boot then? Never done anything like it before. :blush:

Do I just cover the whole boot/wheel wheel or am I supposed to use strips in specific places?

It says its self-adhesive -but would I be better with a heat gun for "bendy-bits"?

Anees

You don't need a heat gun the stuff moulds to the shape of the boot. i just use a small wallpaper roller (about 2 inchs wide) and put some presure on it and roll it into place. you can cut individual shapes out or just roll it on as big strips. just make sure you cover everything! :P

How many of the 30cm by 10m rolls do you reckon I'll need then for the boot?

1 enough? :D

PS The harrowing thought of me actually having to empty my boot now hangs over me! :blink::lol:

I would go for two! but thats me. one might do your boot once over, just???? not too sure. my last car (fiat punto) had three whole rolls used in the car and it helped loads.

Remember you can always double layer it up, or sell what you don't use!!!!!

Jason

I have used it before. Although we needed several layers to get the same result.

For same performance of say Dynamat Extreme you will require about 2-3 layers of Flashing tape.

If you heat it to much it gets awfully messy...

I've used 27 sheets of Dynamat Extreme in my Altezza :whistling:

I used a bulk pack of dynamat extreme and had to use my door kit too as I was waiting for the second bulk pack to arrive. Exteme bulk pack is 36sq ft, door kit is 12 sq ft... so roughly 48sq ft to cover the whole boot. I also took pictures as I did it, so will see if I can dig them out, although it might not be until the weekend :)

Yes, but some of us aint as rich as others. The dynamat extreme stuff is well expensive but probably worth every penny :P

Not bad at Trade price :winky:

Second Skin audio matt is very nice, u can peel it off :)

Mr Singh - I bet you could have bought a Ferrari or Aston Martin for the amount you've spent on that Altezza! :lol::hehe:

I'll investigate my local B&Q or Focus Do it All tommorow so see what I can find.

The eBay stuff is good - but if I order two or more rolls its £12 P&P.

Necromax - can't wait to see the pics! :D

Went to B&Q Today.

The stuff they sell is called Aquaseal.

Its £26 for a 300mm x 10m rolll

OR

Its £16 for a 225mm x 10m roll

I bought just one 225mm x 10m roll to be getting on with. Ofcourse I will need more! :whistling:

Do you find it makes the car feel heavier in any way?

Well...

Altezza stock is about as quick as an IS200 s/c'd and stock IS300 in 0-60...

But thats one reason why i supercharged mine :D

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links