Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Traction Control

Had the scare of my life, I took a sharp corner at about 100+k and forgot I switched off my TRC. Whewwww.........I thought I was drifting for a while( tyres screeching), but the natural driving instinct took over and I took control of my car(what a rush)

MORAL of the story is TRC on while cornering at high speeds.

trinilex

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MORAL of the story is TRC on while cornering at high speeds.

I disagree - On the track day, I forgot to turn TRC off on the first lap, and when the car cut the power on the corner, I felt I had NO control wha so ever - not knowing when the power was coming back, how much power was lost etc.

You are much better off having complete control of a slide with the TRC off in my opinion...

I agree with Zee...

The TRC is only helpful if you give it too much right foot on the bend by mistake - it stops you becoming part of the scenery, but does take the control away..

Whereas, with TRC off, you have so much more control to balance between the throttle and steering...

It can be turned off at the back of the switch by joining the light green wire to the black(earth).

I had it like that on mine for ages with no problems.

So what does this achieve (connecting the light green to the black wire), does it disable the TRC entirely or does it reverse the default setting to TRC OFF, and it can be enabled by pressing the button?

I'll have to remember that next time I've got some knob up my arse (so to speak).

Clunk - that's the VSC button - switch it off.

Click - put the ECT button to "PWR" mode.

Then blip the accelerator pedal and leave him for dead.

Clunk - click, then you blip.

;)  i do not know much about TRC, but when it is off i fill the car has more power is that right  :blink: or am i talking *****  :blush:

The ecu controls how fast the throttle body opens when the TRC is on. When the abs sensors tell the ECU that the wheel speed between the front wheels and the rear wheels are different then the ECU closes the throttle plate.

;)  i do not know much about TRC, but when it is off i fill the car has more power is that right  :blink: or am i talking *****  :blush:

The ecu controls how fast the throttle body opens when the TRC is on. When the abs sensors tell the ECU that the wheel speed between the front wheels and the rear wheels are different then the ECU closes the throttle plate.

so is what you are saying is if the TRC is Off the ECU will not closes the Throttle plate, my :question: is! is there more power put to the road with TRC OFF ..................i went out today in my car to do some runs boosting .6 :whistling: i did 2 runs with TRC ON! then 2 runs with TRC OFF and i have to say it seemed alot Quicker with TRC OFF :yawn:

im saying that the ECU opens the throttle quicker when the TRC is off which is why it feels quicker.  You get better throttle response whent he TRC is off.

:blush: Thanks for that guys..............as you can see i dont know much about TRC, well i know a bit more now :winky:

As my ABS sensor has only just been replaced, i now have the option again to turn the TRC on and off. When i first drove the car after replacing the sensor, i had the TRC off to test it. I thought the car had that little bit more again, that it seemed to be lacking of late. I thought it was because i'd just reset the ECU but maybe it was because the TRC was off???

Adie

im saying that the ECU opens the throttle quicker when the TRC is off which is why it feels quicker.  You get better throttle response whent he TRC is off.

TRC slows throttle response *ALL* the time? Really?

I would have thought it only interferred when it needed to (speed front <> rear), and then when it is interferring it flashed the light on the dash to advise you.

I heard that you can just remove the fuse for the traction control and it should be permenantly off. although I have tried this myself.

I generally leave it on unless I want it off some a particular reason :P

I find that if it's kept off then I will forget that it is off sometimes and put the foot to the floor round a sharp bend and find myself looking like :ohmy: out of the side window.

it's ok when you mean to do but not when you do it by accident and it takes you by suprise!!!!

Not meaning to offend anyone but simply put....you dont pay enough attention to your car. For one there is a yellow light on the dash telling you TRC is off. Not to mention you should know if its off or not. If its off you should be in the frame of mind to cope with loss of traction IF you incite it.

Just because the trac is off doesnt mean that the car will slide around every bend. You have to push it, especially in an altezza with stock sways. In the wet it is easy to get them to slide, that being said again you should be aware of your car and the current road environment.

Spending 400gbp on a traction control system is stupid for an NA altezza/is200/is300. Boosted or high power applications i can see where it would be of some advantage.

If my ex gf could drive my car with trd sways and no trc and not have it step out even in the wet then im sure you can. Know the traction limits of your car and you will almost never have it slide.

I heard that you can just remove the fuse for the traction control and it should be permenantly off. although I have tried this myself.

I generally leave it on unless I want it off some a particular reason :P

I find that if it's kept off then I will forget that it is off sometimes and put the foot to the floor round a sharp bend and find myself looking like  :ohmy: out of the side window.

it's ok when you mean to do but not when you do it by accident and it takes you by suprise!!!!

I leave mine on all the time. Feel no reason to turn it off as its there for a reason. Its only come on once or twice when pulling off from the lights to beat either a bmw or just to show a boy racer what a proper car is like :)

think what Daza means, is the same prob i get. If i need to pull off quickly and the TRC kicks in it stops the car accelerating which could be dangerous in some senarios

im pretty sure that it slows the throttle response under hard accelleration as well as closing the throttle plate when the front/rear wheel speeds are different

If it does do it under hard acceleration then I expect it would still flash the light to indicate that it's operating - so there shouldn't be any effect on your acceleration unless you see the light flashing (IMHO).

At WOT you override the electronic portion of the throttle anyway don't you? The first half of the throttle press is all electronic, but when you mash your foot to the floor the throttle cable is hard wired to open the throttle right up. Or at least that's how it appeared last time I had a look at it. Tho perhaps the electronics can still take control and close the throttle up. Actually it must still be able to pull it back, I'm pretty sure there's been times when I've had my foot right up it and TRC has hauled me back.

]

If it does do it under hard acceleration then I expect it would still flash the light to indicate that it's operating - so there shouldn't be any effect on your acceleration unless you see the light flashing (IMHO).

At WOT you override the electronic portion of the throttle anyway don't you?  The first half of the throttle press is all electronic, but when you mash your foot to the floor the throttle cable is hard wired to open the throttle right up.  Or at least that's how it appeared last time I had a look at it.  Tho perhaps the electronics can still take control and close the throttle up.  Actually it must still be able to pull it back, I'm pretty sure there's been times when I've had my foot right up it and TRC has hauled me back.

The manually actuated part of the throttle is only in the middle 25*-30* of the 90* of the throttle plate motion. The rest of it is controled by the electronic throttle, the middle range is also electronically assisted.

Take off your intake pipe and with the car off have some one press on the gas pedal and see what i mean.

No. The TRC does not effect fuel consumption.

No. The TRC does NOT effect performance.

Yes, when the little yellow 'skid' light flashes, the TRC cuts back the fuelling to the engine - and that is the only time it has any effect on your car.

As has been said, if you switch TRC off, your car wont swap ends, but that said, it could do with it switched on - and contary to statements made in this thread - IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO YOUR CAR EXCEPT WHEN IT ACTUALLY ACITVATES..

No. The TRC does not effect fuel consumption.

No. The TRC does NOT effect performance.

Yes, when the little yellow 'skid' light flashes, the TRC cuts back the fuelling to the engine - and that is the only time it has any effect on your car.

As has been said, if you switch TRC off, your car wont swap ends, but that said, it could do with it switched on - and contary to statements made in this thread - IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO YOUR CAR EXCEPT WHEN IT ACTUALLY ACITVATES..

Hear, hear Ian.... :lol:

I agree completely....... :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links