Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Licences For Private Clampers And Immobilisers

From 3 May 2005 individuals and companies involved in vehicle immobilisation, blocking in and towing away of vehicles, on private premises, against a release fee will require a licence issued by the Security Industry Authority (SIA). Operators are required to display their license whilst working.

There are four new summary offences concerning unlicensed working, breach of licence conditions and obstructing investigators. There are two new arrestable offences concerning land users knowingly employing unlicensed operators, and companies providing such operators.

Police officers and persons authorised by the SIA have the power to demand production of licenses.

bout time they did something about those low life crminals

I have seen them beat up motorists and basically robbing them... not once either.

i heard a story once where someone got a local garage to strip the wheel off from the back and reassemble it because it was cheaper than the clamp release fee :blink:

Yes ........ well before - you could remove the clamp, and without damaging the clamp ... it wasn't actually an offence  :whistling:  ;)  :whistling:

can't you remove the clamp at all now i knew about the removing without damage loophole its much quicker to get the clamp off if you set the the clamper with an angle grinder rather than the clamp though :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...