Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

which size alloys

stew

I want to replace my wheels and tyres on my 91 LS400. At the moment i have the original 15inch wheels. I would like to put 17inch alloys onthe car but not a really low profile tyre, as I am worried that the ride might become too hard.

Can anyone advise me on a suitable combination?

thanks Stew

I say forget the comfort and go for 20's:tumble:

I'm sure you can put up with a slightly harder ride to make you car look 10,000 times better!

You will be limited with your choice of alloys in 16" anyway, go with 17's if you want a bigger choice. Most tyre places do not stock 16" tyres either, they will have to order them in for you which could be a pain. Remember, bigger is better!

I think 19" or 20" would be better upgrade than to 16" or 17".

I considered upgrading from my 15" wheels to 17", but it's not really worth it for me, as I'd rather spend the cash on the engine etc.

If you have the money to spare, and want the new alloys to look nice, then LS400s really look the part with really big wheels.

I did see a LS400 once with 17" Supra alloys and it looks awful. The original lexus alloys actually look a lot better than lots of the aftermarket alloys out there.

Also, if you do decide to replace them, get something like open design 5 spokes (which look better on a big car), rather than something really intricate, as you will spend all of Sunday cleaning them!

• 3 weeks later...

In answer to your first question, the ride would not get harder on an LS with just a couple of inches wheel change, with the suspension set up you have you would hardly notice anything more than some extra tyre noise and the cats eyes will feel bigger.

If you are changing from 15's don't waste your money on 16’s, as they will turn out more expense than 17's in the long run.

I'd say 18's would be a good compromise between style and comfort, you will still have a 40 profile and they will look much better, and most likely up your handling.

Rember the rule, bigger is better, ask your wife!!

:lol:

In answer to your first question, the ride would not get harder on an LS with just a couple of inches wheel change, with the suspension set up you have you would hardly notice anything more than some extra tyre noise and the cats eyes will feel bigger.

:lol:

Have you driven a DHP LS. The ride is definitely harsher than the standard - If you go for bigger wheels you will be sacrificing some of what the LS is about - comfort, silence etc - i.e. a luxury saloon. I do think than bigger wheels can suit it though.

I have the opposite query !

I am a recent owner of an IS200SE and am pretty satisfied. Except that I don't see what the low profile 17" alloys are doing for me, other than increasing the tyre noise, suspension choppiness and kerb impact damage.

Can someone tell me, in simple language :

a) are the 17" alloys 'just for visual show', or do they enhance performance in some way ? Please be honest.

B) can I downgrade from 17" to bog standard 15" tyres, on my SE ?

I am a recent owner of an IS200SE and am pretty satisfied. Except that I don't see what the low profile 17" alloys are doing for me, other than increasing the tyre noise, suspension choppiness and kerb impact damage.

a) are the 17" alloys 'just for visual show', or do they enhance performance in some way ? Please be honest.

Speak to Javadude - might be able to sort out a swap for 16's!

:D

The 17"s will give greater grip when cornering, but the biggest thing is they look sooooo much better than smaller wheels. An IS with 15" wheels would look stupid IMO, stick with 17"s.

:yahoo:

i think that 15's would make the car look a bit odd, the 17's are already too small for the arches, switching to smaller wheels would make it look very empty.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links