Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Koni Vs Trd

Have a dilemma which i need some advice on - would help if anyone has run these products before, of course.

I have recently purchased a set of coilovers for my IS. Koni yellow adjustables with Eibach springs. Practically new, have been on an IS200 for <1000kms. They come with custom bump stops and should be the biz (developed on an IS200 by a guy who does the suspension for some of the V8 Supercar teams.)

On the other hand, i have been offered a set of TRD coilovers with TRD sways for about half the price i paid for these coilovers.

The question now is do i

A. Fit the Koni's, sell the TRD gear

B. Fit the TRD gear, sell the Koni's

C. Fit the Koni's and TRD sways, sell the TRD coilovers

Knowing next to nothing about coilovers, all i can see is that the Koni's are adjustable, while the TRD's aren't. However, the TRD shocks and sways have all been purpose built/developed to work with the car. Certainly, from a monetary point of view the TRD setup makes more sense, but i could sell it for a profit to recoup costs anyhow. Really not sure which way to go....?! Your thoughts?

Koni Coilovers? defo go for those.

I know in the V-dub work FK coilovers use Koni inserts and they get raving reviews as a result!

C for me too

That's was my plan, Zee! However, not sure now - had the Koni's fitted yesterday.

Have only driven for about an hour on them across town, it was late so i was able to have a bit of fun. Drove down some familiar roads with a good variety of corners and roundabouts and the like.

Handling has improved dramatically over my old setup, obviously (this was stock shocks, Eibach springs so was worse than stock really). The handling is definitely alot better than stock now. My grip limits have extended dramatically beyond where they were, and i have new found respect for my Michelin's! In fact, not sure where the limits are now, but certainly my cornering speed has increased dramatically - went throught a nice 'S' which is posted at 35KMH (~20MPH) which i would normally hit at 70KMH (44MPH) on my old setup. With the Koni's, my entry speed was 80KMH (49MPH) into the first bend, than 85KMH (52MPH) on exit! There was more there too, so looking forward to exploring these further on the track.

Only thing is: the Koni's are bloody noisy! Not when driving with intent, but when puttering around town the make quite a noise over cobblestone style bumps (where the shocks are makign many small movements).

Any way of dealing with this?

Only thing is: the Koni's are bloody noisy! Not when driving with intent, but when puttering around town the make quite a noise over cobblestone style bumps (where the shocks are makign many small movements).

Any way of dealing with this?

What are the top mounts on the Konis like?

And remember to get a full geometry set-up done to really make the most of them (and reduce tyre wear)....

Koni Yellows are not coilovers ... but merely stiffness adjustable shocks, not height adjustable shocks. Also, most Koni shocks will require you to remove the shock, before you can adjust the stiffness.

It you want a good ride (comfortable) then stick to the Koni + Eibach.

If you track your car often, then install the TRD coilovers. These offer height and stiffness adjustability, but are a little too stiff for normal street driving.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Have been running the TRD's for a while. These are the TRD Sportivo shock and spring replacement, and matching sway bars.

Results are good overall: car sits flat, but rides very much like stock! For those looking at lowering their car on a budget, the TRD Sportivo shock and spring combo is the only choice - stock-like ride quality, better handling, lower car, and not as expensive as the coilovers. Everyones a winner, baby! Best partnered with the stiffer sways, i think!

Have to say though, the Koni's without the uprated sways provided better handling. They were height adjustable also, but this required maching a groove to change the perch position. Considering this, i am now looking at the TRD coilovers... are they really that stiff???

so the TRD shock and spring sets are defintely better then the koni?

I have seen the trd set available in the uk. I was looking to get the konis in a few months.

Perhaps i should qualify:

Where budget is a concern, and you mainly just want a lowered car, then the TRD Sportivo set is fo' real.

Where your willing to spend extra because you want good handling, and don't mind compromising one ride quality, go the coilovers. A good Koni setup would be the best 'bang for buck' coilover set for European or Australian buyers (they are quite afforable down here also).

I'm looking at TRD coilovers mainly because my experience with TRD stuff is good, and i able to get cheap TRD parts *shhhhhhh*

UPDATE: Have been running the TRD's for a while. These are the TRD Sportivo shock and spring replacement, and matching sway bars.

Results are good overall: car sits flat, but rides very much like stock! For those looking at lowering their car on a budget, the TRD Sportivo shock and spring combo is the only choice - stock-like ride quality, better handling, lower car, and not as expensive as the coilovers. Everyones a winner, baby! Best partnered with the stiffer sways, i think!

Have to say though, the Koni's without the uprated sways provided better handling. They were height adjustable also, but this required maching a groove to change the perch position. Considering this, i am now looking at the TRD coilovers... are they really that stiff???

The TRD coilovers are REALLY that stiff. TRD coilovers are tuned for (semi-)racing, and then you require stiff...

The Sportivo are a total different kind of driving experience ...

• 2 months later...

Well - update for those who are interested;

I finally got myself some coilovers. TRD SUS kit, no less! And i concur - they are stiff!! But nicely adjustable.

trdcoils2.jpg

Out with the old Sportivo replacement shocks and springs, and in with the new!

trdcoils.jpg

Height and damper adjustable, the damper is adjustable in 4 steps. On the road, you could consider the steps as follows:

1. Gee, that's nice and tight

2. Wow, stiff suspension

3. Oops, there go my dentures

4. Is their a chiropractor in the house?

I am currently driving around on Level 4, to fully experience the hardness of stiff suspension, and so that when i go back to 1, it will feel like i'm driving a stock car again!

Haven't had the car fully adjusted yet (full geometry alignment etc), so more to report later. But suffice to say that initial impressions are as follows: the difference between these and my past setups are CHALK AND CHEESE PEOPLE!!!! :woot:

• 2 months later...