Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Deleted/moved Posts

Rob

in future would it be possible for whoever deletes a members post or moves it elsewhere to be polite enough to send a PM etc to the member - its only a few lines so wont kill u!

yeah, whats that about? If mine are rubbish/offensive etc pls let me know first b4 they get deleted, especially given that other people seem to be able to carry on!

Where have your posts been deleted from?

Well i know some went missing from the "£65 for chatting about car"

What is the matter with this site.

Are we now being policed on what we can/can't write in the forums?

Do you really think you're being policed??? C'mon, peeps...everyone knows the Ts & Cs and only stuff that contravenes it is moved or deleted (non-gold members trying to flog stuff etc).

No ones got ulterior motives, no one is trying to silence the masses or act as mind police....Sheesh.

As for dropping people a PM to say why something's been moved or deleted, I think that's fair enough and is only polite.

Well i know some went missing from the "£65 for chatting about car"

What is the matter with this site.

Are we now being policed on what we can/can't write in the forums?

Well ........ to start with I have not deleted/moved anything from that particular topic.

However, I did notice .... that certain people were posting things that were just so not related to the original post.

Then you have the issue, someone comes along ..... reads the thread, then reads posts that are just so not related, or constructive - then doesn't read the rest of the thread ........................ leaving the original poster of the thread without a constructive reply, because the person reading it can't be bothered to browse through the junk ...........

ensure your post is useful and related to the subject of the original poster. Do not change the subject of a post, or post non constructive replies (such as replies containing only smileys).

I do think it's polite to send a PM ............. if of course it is convenient at the time B)

It was me that deleted some posts from the thread about the London thing.

I agreed to let the poster make his request, and subsequently deleted a load of irrelevant drivel from the post, as per Ts and Cs, as it was getting seriously dragged off-topic.

I mean, what's the point of saying "I can't come" - it's like some poeple just HAVE to post something.

i thought mine was relevant saying that i thought he would get far more interest if he held it somewhere far more accessable.

then i gave my opinions on car design if he wanted to use them.

but then people not posting to topics............................ :blink:

i thought mine was relevant saying that i thought he would get far more interest if he held it somewhere far more accessable.

then i gave my opinions on car design if he wanted to use them.

but then people not posting to topics............................ :blink:

The purpose of the thread was to invite people to an event - not to debate whether the right demographics were being used.

I do think it's polite to send a PM ............. if of course it is convenient at the time B)

why would it not be convienient ?

surely if you take the time to read and then delete the post, you have time to give a pm to as why it has been deleted

or even to just say "POST DELETED" as most people will understand the reason why, and if they dont they then have the chance to ask why, its a bit hard when you dont know who or for what reason the person has deleted your post

for example:

the tony bones thread (and this isnt a dig at scarface !! he knows we love him really)

i put up that i would like to have come along with the question on when tony would get his new equipment , because without it , its a waste of time for me , being there once allready

next thing i know that post is deleted and i have my name down for going !!

a good example of how it should be done is Mat C`s JAE post where it is stated he will delete posts

Read the Ts and Cs Barrie - and note the bit "without notice"

We give up our valuable time FOC to moderate, and we don't have to give up even more of it by explaining why we do things.

Also note the bit about what happens if anyone gives a moderator a hard time about moderating.

one of my posts was deleted the other day and i also noticed that a moderators post mysteriously disappeared too. theres no point the mods quoting t's and c's at us and not abiding by them themselves.

if all irrelevant posts/posts not abiding to the t's and c's then the club would be in a very sorry state of affairs, we've all got a sense of humour (i think?!) and thats got to come across on the boards, otherwise we may as well have an automated answer and reply system! we're human and we like to have a laugh with our mates and new members need to feel welcome and at ease.

i know posts need to be kept on topic but come on, lets keep the club as friendly and enjoyable as it was when i joined, please!

surely instead of everybody getting really precious about things it would be far easier to put:

"do not post any replies to this thread" or have some sort of non-postable noticeboard type thingy, especially given that this chappie went thru the moderators to make sure he was bona fide.

it just all boils down to if there is no communication then people do`nt know what they`ve done wrong that`s all! :)

We give up our valuable time FOC to moderate, and we don't have to give up even more of it by explaining why we do things.

Also note the bit about what happens if anyone gives a moderator a hard time about moderating.

Rod,

i am not giving anyone a hard time as stated !

its just at times a little politeness could help

it can be a bit frustrating

yours and everyones time and everything is appreciated, but it cant take more than a minute to give a reply, and at the end of the day it helps to keep calm and friendliness of the club

why not just delete the post but leave the users post there with deleted on it ??

quite often see "edited" within a post

the club is run and runs smoothly by having a good moderating team

but it wouldnt be a club without the members posts

I do think it's polite to send a PM ............. if of course it is convenient at the time  B)

surely if you take the time to read and then delete the post, you have time to give a pm to as why it has been deleted

or even to just say "POST DELETED" as most people will understand the reason why, and if they dont they then have the chance to ask why, its a bit hard when you dont know who or for what reason the person has deleted your post

So Barrie ........... what your saying is , me, and others should be justifying and explaining our actions?

So it's ok for the mods to inform others via PM when we have deleted there posts ..... that's fine is it ?

What about the time people post without searching, would they like a PM? or would that be rude ........ (we have had this before)

What about the time people post in the wrong forum? Should we PM people for that too ? (I move about 10-15 a day)

To be honest, I work shifts ... . and don't have much time for my self, so the time I do have for this site is to make sure it runs smoothly for every one else

But you see the problem is, this "moderating" job makes me laugh at times .......... it's just like the police. People are always eager to critisice the "bad" things you do ........ or the things no one else agrees with.

What about the good we do ? do we ever get credit for that .... no, what about our good causes, do we get thanks ? - no.

I personally think, unless you do the job your self .... you really don't know what it's like.

Again, like the police ......... if there was NO police, the country would fall into CHAOS.

No moderators ...... the site would fall apart.

/rant over.

But you see the problem is, this "moderating" job makes me laugh at times .......... it's just like the police. People are always eager to critisice the "bad" things you do ........ or the things no one else agrees with.

What about the good we do ? do we ever get credit for that .... no, what about our good causes, do we get thanks ? - no.

I personally think, unless you do the job your self .... you really don't know what it's like.

Again, like the police ......... if there was NO police, the country would fall into CHAOS.

/rant over.

Well said.

And it's always the same group of people that do all the moaning too!

The moderating team is going to abide by the Ts and Cs, and delete / move posts without notice - that's not up for debate. If anyone thinks that's wrong and wants to try to get the Ts and Cs changed to reflect this - then that's another issue, but probably not one that's worth discussing here. All we'll get is the usual suspects all patting themselves on the back and slagging off the mods again.

I do think it's polite to send a PM ............. if of course it is convenient at the time  B)

So Barrie ........... what your saying is , me, and others should be justifying and explaining our actions?

So it's ok for the mods to inform others via PM when we have deleted there posts ..... that's fine is it ?

What about the time people post without searching, would they like a PM? or would that be rude ........ (we have had this before)

What about the time people post in the wrong forum? Should we PM people for that too ? (I move about 10-15 a day)

To be honest, I work shifts ... . and don't have much time for my self, so the time I do have for this site is to make sure it runs smoothly for every one else

/rant over.

this comment says it all

i am not and have not critisized what the moderators do

seems to me if you make a suggestion about the moderators they all jump on you

we are all here for the benefit of the club, we all try and do our bit, some more than others !!

but as you want to compare it to the police force, how would you feel if a policeman came up to you and confiscated something of yours, but didnt tell you why !!!

all we ask for is a bit of politeness

that doesnt cost much or take too much time now does it

or is it the fact that us poor members are somewhat not worthy of it

over the years i have been a member i have allways tried to support the people who run this site, so i resent all this "im having a go *******"

remember no posters no site

see ya .....maybe

Is it not possible to set up an automated notification to the sender that a particular post has been deleted - that way the mods don't spend extra time explaining thier action but the sender at least knows it's been done (could also I'd the mod so an enquiry could be made later as to the reason ...).

Don't shoot me - just an idea.

We all like / appreciate / love (eh ?) the mods really you know - it's just we hide it well at times :)

yep read them !

quotes unsuitable posts

posts hinting at advertising

etc etc

now can someone tell me why my relevant to the topic post was deleted

I think that it would be useful for everyone in this debate to have a reread of all the posts in this thread and look at them objectively.

What we have here is the classic case of irritation triggering a defensive posture which then develops into a high handed approach, which then sets evrybody else off and manages to completely ignore the one or two helpful suggestions that people seem to mention.

Personally i would suggest that it is not that it gets done as per "T and C", but that some people don`t think of how people will react b4 they post!

And SF, i agree to what you say but i think the consideration is that "authority" tends to ride roughshod over people. I fully support and thank the police/moderators for the job they do, but its always, always "tone" thats winds people up and sets them off against each other, and i think that on rereading all those posts everybody`s tone sucks.

What does the Joker say in Batman? "why can`t we all just get along?"

what do you reckon? :D

now can someone tell me why my relevant to the topic post was deleted

Barrie, now that I have read what you are actually saying .... and relating to the WIM meet.

I can put hands up, and appologise.

I was mearly "tidying" up the thread ............... and must have deleted your post about your comment with the machine, without reading it properly. ........

This is why that post dissapeared, my fault - :blush:

this topic would be so much more exciting and frank in the car park!

but you know what peeps, with these types of threads popping up more frequently its certainly making me think that i cant be bothered anymore.

the minute someone has something to say, like this thread for example everything gets blown out of all proportion. why cant the mods not just reply in a normal fashion instead of getting all defensive and telling us about how much time they put into the club.

i put a shed load of time into the club on various projects which most members probably arent aware of but im not here moaning the moment someone has a slightly negative comment or asks a question about stuff. you just get on and do your job because we all love the club!

this topic would be so much more exciting and frank in the car park!

but you know what peeps, with these types of threads popping up more frequently its certainly making me think that i cant be bothered anymore.

the minute someone has something to say, like this thread for example everything gets blown out of all proportion. why cant the mods not just reply in a normal fashion instead of getting all defensive and telling us about how much time they put into the club.

i put a shed load of time into the club on various projects which most members probably arent aware of but im not here moaning the moment someone has a slightly negative comment or asks a question about stuff. you just get on and do your job because we all love the club!

ooooooooooooooooohh, now you`ve done it :tomato: :D