Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic Headlights

Maybe ................. if someone like Pro-Lex UK  ;)  .......... was to make a module ..... say for example.

You turn the engine off ........ and it works on a relay ........... after 45 seconds, the lights turn off too !

That would be a good idea ....................  B)

That would be a great idea.

Would anyone actually pay for this ??....I certainly would not, seems a lot of fuss about nothing...

• 2 months later...

My wife has an Audi. When you get out of the car with the lights on - they stay on for a couple of mins to allow you to see to the door. My old BMW also did this.

Its a handy function and should be an available option.

My wife has an Audi. When you get out of the car with the lights on - they stay on for a couple of mins to allow you to see to the door. My old BMW also did this.

Its a handy function and should be an available option.

Hoorah, at last well done Ian for bringing that to the masses, it's not to much of a problem in the summer but as winter nears it can become annoying. I'm sure if Audi and an (old) BMW can do this why not Lexus, after all they are the cars with all the toys. regards Baz.

Maybe ................. if someone like Pro-Lex UK  ;)  .......... was to make a module ..... say for example.

You turn the engine off ........ and it works on a relay ........... after 45 seconds, the lights turn off too !

That would be a good idea ....................  B)

That would be a great idea.

No I think thats a crap idea!!!! :angry:

I'd prefer it be about 43 seconds to keep the Battery life a bit longer!! :P

But yeah I know what you're on about Bartier!! It's when you are out at a meet or somthin and you pull up beside you're mate and switch the engine off and wonder why the lights don't go off automatically?????

This is annoying with the remote start on the clifford alarm too.

When I set the car for remote start before getting out at night with the lights in auto position, I then get out, lock the car, the engine shuts off but the headlights stay on and don't go off.

I then have to go through the whole procedure again after manually turning the lights off in the car :duh:

• 6 years later...

With apologies for raising this from the forum vaults....

I think I have a malfunction but can't find anything in the owners manual or the Forum to help. If I have the light switch stalk set to "Auto" the headlights come on when the ambient light outside drops, and all is good. If while the headlights are on, I stop the car, turn off the power and take out the key the lights remain on. If I open the door, get out and close the door and lock it on the key-fob, the light still stay on dipped beam and do not go out. I waited for several minutes and eventually have to reopen the car and turn the lighting stalk to "off". Surely there is something wrong here? I even tried pressing the lock button on the fob twice, but to no avail. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

I think it works exactly right

I personally want the lights to stay on until I get out. In fact some times would be nice for them to stay on for a few mins longer.

My problem is that due to my strange garage layout/size I actually get out the passenger door so they dont turn off then:)

I personally want the lights to stay on until I get out. In fact some times would be nice for them to stay on for a few mins longer.

My problem is that due to my strange garage layout/size I actually get out the passenger door so they dont turn off then:)

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I think you may have missed my point: the lights, when set to auto, don't ever go out (until the Battery is flat :duh: ) even if I open and close the door and lock the car. Even in the most basic car there's usually a reminder buzzer that the lights are on when the key is taken out of the ignition or there is some time delay after locking the car before the lights are extinguished automatically. The 400h seems to have a deficiency in both departments, unless I'm mistaken or missing something. For a car with a 'fragile' 12V Battery, inadvertently draining charge by allowing the lights to remain on seems to be a real shortcoming.

Nick

I think you may have missed my point: the lights, when set to auto, don't ever go out (until the battery is flat :duh: ) even if I open and close the door and lock the car. Even in the most basic car there's usually a reminder buzzer that the lights are on when the key is taken out of the ignition or there is some time delay after locking the car before the lights are extinguished automatically. The 400h seems to have a deficiency in both departments, unless I'm mistaken or missing something. For a car with a 'fragile' 12V battery, inadvertently draining charge by allowing the lights to remain on seems to be a real shortcom.ing.

Nick

Then I suspect there may be a problem unless this is a diff between your model and mine.

MY 350 definitely goes out when I open the drivers door. If you have the lights on full as opposed to auto do you get a warning buzzer when you open the door?. This may be a dealer set option there are a whole bunch of parameters that can be set only be the dealer. These are the US options - havent been able to find a uk equiv

st.club-lexus(blocked word)/files/cbest_116.pdf

I think you may have missed my point: the lights, when set to auto, don't ever go out (until the battery is flat :duh: ) even if I open and close the door and lock the car. Even in the most basic car there's usually a reminder buzzer that the lights are on when the key is taken out of the ignition or there is some time delay after locking the car before the lights are extinguished automatically. The 400h seems to have a deficiency in both departments, unless I'm mistaken or missing something. For a car with a 'fragile' 12V battery, inadvertently draining charge by allowing the lights to remain on seems to be a real shortcom.ing.

Nick

Then I suspect there may be a problem unless this is a diff between your model and mine.

MY 350 definitely goes out when I open the drivers door. If you have the lights on full as opposed to auto do you get a warning buzzer when you open the door?. This may be a dealer set option there are a whole bunch of parameters that can be set only be the dealer. These are the US options - havent been able to find a uk equiv

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&biw=1920&bih=919&q=lexus+%22BODY+ELECTRICAL+%E2%80%94+MULTIPLEX+COMMUNICATION%22

you want the club russia pdf = wont let me link ".ru" here

I think that auto off the lights is useful.

One day I left my car on the underground car park, on the way out I noticed opened window in passenger door, so I went in through this door, switched ignition on, closed the window and went out, ligts were on auto, fortunatelly after one our my friend rang to me and said that the lights are lit.

It happens...)

C'mon you Lexus owners, you can't honestly believe it's a great idea to open the door to turn the lights off!!!!!! or do you.

It can get annoying at times .... I agree.

But what do YOU suggest should be in place to fix this ?

Hi Scarface, you seem to understand where i'm coming from. I don't know what the answer is, perhaps a timer, say, 1min after you cut the engine the lights go out. After trying to impress my friend with all the Lexus luxury etc on my RX he thought it quite funny that you had to open the door to to turn the lights off.

I think with most American cars the headlights stay on even after you have got out of the car and locked it, for about 1 min or so.

As a father who runs his daughter to places, then waits for her for an hour to bring her home I can understand its slightly annoying, so in away I agree, they could put some type of timer on them. While we are on the subject of niggley things, if you are watching a D.V.D or listening to music , this also shuts down after a certain time, so they must have that on some sort of timer.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a dealer-settable feature. There's a menu that only dealers can get to (or I don't know how to!) which can set squillions of things around the car. When you buy one new they ask you how you'd like them all set and then 'personalise' the car for you. You can choose between 30,60 or 90 secs delay. So go and smile sweetly at your local Lexus service agent and ask him to adjust it for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say thank you to all the contributers here. I don't think I have laughed as much in a long time - almost cried at one stage. My sides are now hurting and my thighs are red with slapping them. Absolute genius!!

Tc

• 2 weeks later...

Even the auto lights that stay on for a minute or so after switch off to enable you to walk to your door are not always a great idea, I am presently driving a BMW730LDSE top of the range with the delay feature........the lights aty on for me to see my way to my door....unfortunately I always reverse onto my drive because of egress into the road is easier, but of course all that does is illuminate my neighbour across the roads house every time I get home.

Some high tech is always a comprimise. :phone:

• 2 years later...

I think you may have missed my point: the lights, when set to auto, don't ever go out (until the Battery is flat wacko.gif ) even if I open and close the door and lock the car. Even in the most basic car there's usually a reminder buzzer that the lights are on when the key is taken out of the ignition or there is some time delay after locking the car before the lights are extinguished automatically. The 400h seems to have a deficiency in both departments, unless I'm mistaken or missing something. For a car with a 'fragile' 12V Battery, inadvertently draining charge by allowing the lights to remain on seems to be a real shortcoming.

Nick

I know this is an old post... but does your RX have a headlight on warning buzzer? You wrote, "Even in the most basic car there's usually a reminder buzzer" < I agree, but I've not been able to confirm this.

Mine is an RX350 2010 model.

Mine does have a headlight on buzzer... however it does not work if the headlights are left in the AUTO setting. With this setting enabled, the lights are automatically switched off when the driver's door is opened... assuming that the engine already has been switched off.

Mine does have a headlight on buzzer... however it does not work if the headlights are left in the AUTO setting. With this setting enabled, the lights are automatically switched off when the driver's door is opened... assuming that the engine already has been switched off.

Mine is an RX350 2010 model.

Is this an import series III?

Yes, US RX350, 3rd generation.

Any idea what the option is called? One dealer is saying it is not available, while another dealer (who is too far to help me) is saying that it is part of CBEST, called Light Remind.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links