Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Next Lot Of Mods.....

Zee007

Well, as you all know, having had the Tezza for a couple of months now, it already had a load of mods already done (Manifold, Dampers/springs, chasis braces etc).

I initially got the Apexi Induction on (thanks Am), wheels, ICE, Strut brace and a couple of other things, but on Saturday, it should be seriosly motoring! :)

List of mods going on:

- TRD Organic Clutch plate

- TRD Uprated Clutch Cover

- TRD Lightweight Flywheel

- TRD Quick shift

- TTE Anti-roll bars

- TRD Sport Thermostat

- TRD Bushes

- New plugs

Really, really looking forward to the car being transformed! :D

Pics to follow tonight! ;)

Next step, in the next 2 months.............

you'll just have to wait and see......... :shifty:

the thermostat will be the most challenging job. that thing is a real bitch to get to.

If you need any pointers on anything (save the bushes as ive never done those) let me know.

ALso which bushes are you doing? All of the lower suspension bushings?

Zee....... sound like you have a plan!

that thing you are waiting for in 2 months..... is that what you told me about at japfest? Don't matter whether it is or not, I guess all will be revealed soon eh?

;)

Nope - something else Oli....... ;)

the thermostat will be the most challenging job.  that thing is a real bitch to get to.

If you need any pointers on anything (save the bushes as ive never done those) let me know.

ALso which bushes are you doing?  All of the lower suspension bushings?

Thank you for the offer! Will bear the thermostat change in mind. By the way - did you notice much difference with the TRD one?

I'm surrently just changing the Anti-roll bushes for TRD ones, more later on in the year..... :)

Excellent stuff :D

I need TRD Thermostat at some stage too..

As for the TRD clutch/flywheel...

I had it fitted just when my clutch packed up after s/c was installed, hard to say what i gained, its main mission was to take the power increase which its done like a champ. The whiring noise from the flywheel on idle is pretty cool too.

Your car will be ready for some boost soon at this rate :winky:

the thermostat made a big difference in temp...2 notches on the factory gauge....here is a DIY i wrote up when i did it

Tools needed

10mm deep socket & ratchet

12mm socket

10mm spanner (get a ratcheting one TRUST ME)

Pliers (for the radiator hose clamps)

Flat bladed screwdriver

Small hands/arms (now’s the time to teach the wife or child how to do some car stuff)

Wait for car to cool thoroughly. Drain coolant from the radiator.

Once the coolant has been drained, disconnect the lower radiator hose from the radiator. This will help you maneuver the thermostat housing around in the tight area.

With the lower radiator hose free you need to locate the thermostat housing. It is at the top right hand side of the motor (looking at it standing in front of the car). It’s under various bits of wiring harness and is a bit awkward to get to.

I found the thermostat housing easier to access with both exhaust manifold heat shield’s removed. You do not HAVE to do this step but it will save you from being cut by them (ask me how I know). You will need the 12mm socket for this.

With the heat shields out of the way and lower radiator hose free from the radiator you can now concentrate your efforts on the housing itself. It is held on by 2 10mm nuts. For the top nut you will need the 10mm deep socket, the reason you need a deep socket is for reach (it will become apparent when you attempt this). The lower nut, which you have to blindly molest the bottom of the housing till you find it, requires the 10mm spanner. Your life will be made 1000 times easier if you get a 10mm spanner that ratchets.

With the nuts off (and hopefully not lost in the recesses of the engine bay somewhere) grab the flat bladed screwdriver and gently pry the housing from the block. Water will come rushing out once the housing is removed so you may want to put a bucket or a few towels under the car to catch this.

Now it gets harder. Trying to get the thermostat housing to lift over the studs it’s slotted onto. You just have to wiggle and what not till you get it off them. If you can manage enough room, get the old thermostat out of there (it may require some convincing).

The hardest part of all is getting the new thermostat to sit in the housing while you try to install everything where it went. You will be testing your dexterity every inch of the way. I found I had to reach under the housing and lift the thermostat up with a finger while I slid the housing back onto the studs (oooo that sounded far too dirty). Then you have to hold the housing there and thread the nuts back on. The lower one is the easiest to start because you can do it by hand. The upper nut you will have to use the deep socket to do. I found it easiest to use just the socket without the ratchet to start the nut and then once it’s snug continue to tighten it with the ratchet.

With the thermostat housing tightened down you can now put back in the heat shields. Once they are on and secure you can now refill the car with coolant/water. Keep a bottle of coolant/water with you on your first drive as you will probably have to top up the coolant once the car warms up. DO NOT OPEN THE RADIATOR CAP WHEN THE CAR IS HOT!!!! I cannot stress that enough as I am not responsible for any bodily or vehicular harm which may ensue. If you find that the car is over heating find a nice spot and let it cool. Once its cooled enough that you can take the radiator cap off, fill up the radiator as required.

My temps went from the notch above the halfway mark with the stock 1.1bar radiator cap and 82*C thermostat to between the half way notch and the notch below it with the TRD 1.3bar radiator cap and 71*C thermostat.

Cheers........ Nikko a man with serious altezza knowledge? or does it stem past the SXE10????

seriously tho thanks.

How come the thermostat makes 'that' much difference in temperature? as it does'nt actually cool anything does it? or do i not know the meaning of thermostat???

Cheers........ Nikko a man with serious altezza knowledge? or does it stem past the SXE10????

seriously tho thanks.

How come the thermostat makes 'that' much difference in temperature? as it does'nt actually cool anything does it? or do i not know the meaning of thermostat???

LOL .i know (or used to know) the Nissan pulsar gtir like my own limb.

The thermostat is a valve, its closed during colder coolant temps (though it still lets some coolant pass through it) to let the engine get up to temperature. The standard thermostat is fine for a standard engine.

When you start making more power this means you make more heat, a "colder" thermostat opens up at a colder temperature to lower the operating temperature.

I saw your car at bruntingthorpe and it looked like a great car. By the sound of it its going to be even better. Fair play to you Zee :D Must be earning too much money :P

Adie

Well, well, well.

Interesting day.

Firstly, everything went on without a hitch. Unfoirtuantely, didn't have time for plugs or thermostat. I'll do them in due course.

However, the clutch was indeed nackered, so the guys managed to change that lot in a couple of hours.

Point to note, the Altezza RS200 gearbox is not the same as the IS200. Interesting that - as I always thought they were the same.

The anti-roll bars (and I have said this MANY time before) are the best invention ever! I can't believe, that even with Bilsteins and TRD chasis braces, the roll-bars have made such a difference. Handling is superb again.

I found a couple more tweeks that had been done in Japan on the car. Firstly, not only has it for the Tom's Jasma tubular manifold, but it has the Tom's down pipes too! A full tupular 4-2-1 system!

Secondly - it already had a TOM's lightweight flywheel! I replaced it with the TRD one anyway (as I had bought it) but will be offering it to a fellow Tezza owner in due course (it's in mint condidtion as my car has only done 20k miles!).

Clutch is tougher than stock, but a great improvement.

Overall, very happy. Car is now beginning to resemble what I want.....

Thanks to Steve and the boys at Charlesworth once again (and nice to gee you again Gord!).

great update.

Can't believe Mat had missed those extra goodies while he had it ;)

Anti roll bars eh?.......... must make a mental note on that.

About the clutch. 20k miles and the clutch was knackered? I guess thats due to the full tubular system? Just makes me wonder if my setup is ok as there are few more miles on it. No wonder Am's blitz'ed tezza ate the clutch after installing it.

DIY install or did this Charlesorths place sort it?

Well, well, well.

Interesting day.

Firstly, everything went on without a hitch.  Unfoirtuantely, didn't have time for plugs or thermostat.  I'll do them in due course.

However, the clutch was indeed nackered, so the guys managed to change that lot in a couple of hours.

Point to note, the Altezza RS200 gearbox is not the same as the IS200.  Interesting that - as I always thought they were the same.

The anti-roll bars (and I have said this MANY time before) are the best invention ever!  I can't believe, that even with Bilsteins and TRD chasis braces, the roll-bars have made such a difference.  Handling is superb again.

I found a couple more tweeks that had been done in Japan on the car.  Firstly, not only has it for the Tom's Jasma tubular manifold, but it has the Tom's down pipes too!  A full tupular 4-2-1 system!

Secondly - it already had a TOM's lightweight flywheel!  I replaced it with the TRD one anyway (as I had bought it) but will be offering it to a fellow Tezza owner in due course (it's in mint condidtion as my car has only done 20k miles!).

Clutch is tougher than stock, but a great improvement.

Overall, very happy.  Car is now beginning to resemble what I want.....

Thanks to Steve and the boys at Charlesworth once again (and nice to gee you again Gord!).

Nice to see you again zee :D i can keep my eye on what you are doing with the mods :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links