Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scraping Noise

MrTomas

Had my IS200 for two weeks now and I have noticed a scraping noise coming from the left side of the car. This only happens when turning sharp right slowly or when cornering right at speed. The noise doesn't happen when turning/cornering left. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Had my IS200 for two weeks now and I have noticed a scraping noise coming from the left side of the car.  This only happens when turning sharp right slowly or when cornering right at speed.  The noise doesn't happen when turning/cornering left.  Has anyone else had similar problems?

could be your inner arch liner has come adrift

Possibly. My RS200 does something similar. I get a high pitched squealing noise (not too loud, but intrusive once you realise it's there) which appears to be coming from the front left wheel area. Only happens with right turns. There seems to be a slight delay after turning right before it starts. Also, once the car is straight again, the noise continues for a second or so before fading out. Braking/acceleration has no effect on the noise. Happens with any moderate right turn. The delay before the noise starts and ends makes me suspect that whatever is making the squeal is controled by the ECU. An external visual inspection shows nothing astray, also had the brakes off a couple of times and doing this hasn't affected the noise. Probably just something in there that needs oiling...

Had my IS200 for two weeks now and I have noticed a scraping noise coming from the left side of the car.  This only happens when turning sharp right slowly or when cornering right at speed.  The noise doesn't happen when turning/cornering left.  Has anyone else had similar problems?

could be your inner arch liner has come adrift

I have checked the arch liner, and it is secure - no signs of tyres scuffing them either.

It's the sort of scraping noise you would get if the brake disc cover was touching the disc itself (definitely the sound of metal scraping on metal rather than a squeal) - but I have had the wheels off and the disc covers are where they should be. I have had cars with worn bearings before and that is more of a deep grinding noise and not like this sound at all. I am wondering if maybe something inside the drum brake is loose which shouldn't be ?

I might have to do something drastic; like take it to a garage :duh: .

Possibly.  My RS200 does something similar.  I get a high pitched squealing noise (not too loud, but intrusive once you realise it's there) which appears to be coming from the front left wheel area.  Only happens with right turns.  There seems to be a slight delay after turning right before it starts.  Also, once the car is straight again, the noise continues for a second or so before fading out.  Braking/acceleration has no effect on the noise.  Happens with any moderate right turn.  The delay before the noise starts and ends makes me suspect that whatever is making the squeal is controled by the ECU.  An external visual inspection shows nothing astray, also had the brakes off a couple of times and doing this hasn't affected the noise.  Probably just something in there that needs oiling...

Just been reading the owners manual and it mentions audible wear indicators on the brake pads - I checked my pads already and they are fine, but maybe thats what is causing your noise ?

Just been reading the owners manual and it mentions audible wear indicators on the brake pads - I checked my pads already and they are fine, but maybe thats what is causing your noise ?

Nice thought, however the timing of the squeal as I outlined does not match with braking, nor is it affected by braking. If I've got the time I'll lubricate 1 joint at a time under there until I find which one stops the noise... :)

I have the same sound coming from passenger side while cornering right, I had the car go in to lexus for safty-check only thing they picked up were two front worn tyres on inside edge. If you find the problem please post as I would be most intrested.

I once had the rear backing plate grind against the brake disc (which is also the handbrake drum)

Schleifen.jpg

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

if it only come from turning on way, get your suspesion links checked, could find that one of the ball joints has gone.

Also if your car is fitted with a front strut brace, check to see if it is tight.

I work in a mazda dealer, and find these problems often on cars here

I would agree with MrTomas about the brake pads being worn,.

I've just come back from Tony at wheels in motion, and told him I have this noise when turning right, and he suggests it's probably the wear indicator clip as there was no visible sign of anything rubbing :winky:

Hi again just had tyres changed and the sound has gone can't explain it must of been tyre wear or luck. :D

Actually, while changing tyres it could be the wheel is mounted slightly differently. You can shift the disc/drum slightly before tightening the wheel nuts, at one extreme it may rub, at the other it may not. At least that was the effect with my car. But it could be a worn ball-joint like Davey says, I'm going to have that checked at the next service.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

• 2 weeks later...

Have booked my car in on 5 July for a 100K service and also to check out the scraping noise.

I'll post the results then.

Cool, I'll be impressed if they can pinpoint exactly what caused the noise and explain why it presents itself the way it does (assuming it does the delay type thing I outlined in my earlier post)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, had the brakes, bearings and all surrounded mechanics inspected and everything seems in order. The only thing the mechanic could suggest was the brake shims/clips (that touch the disc when the pads get low as an audible warning).

The scraping noise it still there - but as all the mechanics have checked out ok, it is more an annoyance than anything else.

I have done some tests to see what creates the scraping noise since, and it does seem suspension related more than steering (as I get the noise over speed bumps in a straight line).

I think the next step is to get the suspension joints/bushes checked out, but this probably won't be for a while. In the short term I i will see if I can remove the shim/clip on the brake pads and do another test to see if the noise is still there.

It may take some time, but I'm determined to suss this one out.

Any News?

Noticed that mine has started doing this occasionally. It makes a kind of clonk sound and seems to be comming from the front left side of the car.

All help appreciated.

the clonk noise i had on my IS was down to the anti roll bar, the mounts for it the rubber/plastic bits had some play in them.

and it was the bar moving that made the sound.

I once had the rear backing plate grind against the brake disc (which is also the handbrake drum)

Schleifen.jpg

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

I took the rear wheel, caliper and disc off this morning, and it was the same thing on mine. It was scraping on the bottom edge of the back plate. It had created quite a deep groove around the disc plate so I tweaked the bottom of the back plate slightly ( with a hammer and block ) and the scraping noise has completely gone now.

RX-Men-8; What did you do to fix yours ?

• 2 months later...

This weekend I fitted Daza's former rear discs, since he's got nice "sawblades" now as you may have seen on this forum :) They were still very new looking and otherwise he'd have binned them. Thanks Daza! I used some black hammerite to make everything loking like new and fitted new mintex pads. Very chuffed :)

Alas, the scraping noise was back now, but on the other side. Same thing again (see pic). Hammering back the rim from the backplate wasn't really working, so I took a disc grinder and ground 1mm off the backing plate rim. Now everyting's quiet.

Maybe the wheel bearings are run in (worn) so far now that the disc is starting to make contact with the backing plate? I've had to "modify" both sides now, so maybe it's a tip for others with a high mileage IS that has the same symptoms.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

• 7 years later...

the clonk noise i had on my IS was down to the anti roll bar, the mounts for it the rubber/plastic bits had some play in them.

and it was the bar moving that made the sound.

I have the odd clonk! Us lexus owners have lots in common. was it just a case of adjustment? that would be an issue off the list if so!

many thanks

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend I fitted Daza's former rear discs, since he's got nice "sawblades" now as you may have seen on this forum smile.gif They were still very new looking and otherwise he'd have binned them. Thanks Daza! I used some black hammerite to make everything loking like new and fitted new mintex pads. Very chuffed smile.gif

Alas, the scraping noise was back now, but on the other side. Same thing again (see pic). Hammering back the rim from the backplate wasn't really working, so I took a disc grinder and ground 1mm off the backing plate rim. Now everyting's quiet.

Maybe the wheel bearings are run in (worn) so far now that the disc is starting to make contact with the backing plate? I've had to "modify" both sides now, so maybe it's a tip for others with a high mileage IS that has the same symptoms.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

mine has just started doing this on the back left! my cars only at 100k and i have not changed the rotors recently either so cant really understand how this just starts happening! you think wheel bearings going then?

Just a update. my scraping has disappeared on its own before i even had chance to take a closer look. weird. good think really as I am going to the safari park soon and didnt want to scare all the animals away :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links