Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scraping Noise

MrTomas

I get a sort of scraping noise when I go over speed bumps. Easiest way to describe it, it sounds like what you'd imagine rusty suspension would sound like. Only on the front and only when going over speed bumps. Sudden impact, up and down and then it goes away. Lexus just did my 130000 mile service two weeks ago and didn't notice anything. I don't hear the noise at any other time. Just grin and bare it, or take it to someone to have a look at?

I had a clunk Stuart under same conditions. In fact I still have it. Lexus say its down to the design of the shock absorber and it's a valve opening and closing.

You can only hear it on mine with the windows down and there's no other traffic or noise about and even then it's not massively noticeable.

so I haven't given it another thought until today.

I get a sort of scraping noise when I go over speed bumps. Easiest way to describe it, it sounds like what you'd imagine rusty suspension would sound like. Only on the front and only when going over speed bumps. Sudden impact, up and down and then it goes away. Lexus just did my 130000 mile service two weeks ago and didn't notice anything. I don't hear the noise at any other time. Just grin and bare it, or take it to someone to have a look at?

not had this. however when looking to buy a IS i learnt the shocks seem to need replacing around the 100k mark. I do get a creaking/clunk sound when the suspension is worked at the back, say going in a dip and up... ive read this is common tho and might even be the jack in the boot. Everything is fine tho had it up on the ramp not long ago, arms look a bit tired but there fine. Im very slow and careful over speed bumps, heard too many horror stories of ppl destroying there suspension with speed bumps and pot holes.

• 2 months later...

I had this scraping noise took the brakes apart and it was the back plate at the bottom filed off a bit and noise was gone then did other side and it was fine what it was the brake shoe clip had worn away and come off and got caught in the disc so if anyone's got the scrapping noise just check it ant this

I once had the rear backing plate grind against the brake disc (which is also the handbrake drum)

Schleifen.jpg

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

I took the rear wheel, caliper and disc off this morning, and it was the same thing on mine. It was scraping on the bottom edge of the back plate. It had created quite a deep groove around the disc plate so I tweaked the bottom of the back plate slightly ( with a hammer and block ) and the scraping noise has completely gone now.

RX-Men-8; What did you do to fix yours ?

I have the same scrapebut when moving left, can the plate be checked for contact without removing the disk and caliper? I don't like messing around near the brakes so want to undo the absolute minimum