Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newby

Carlp

hi peeps my name is carl and i have just registered. I am currently saving every spare penny to buy one of the Fab Lexus IS 200 models.

However i have a problem, i'm not too clued up when it comes to all the different models, so some advice would be nice from ya'll which is the best.

Preferably i would like leather interior, heated seats, basically all the mod cons.

Also what about insurance, are they quite cheap to insure, what insurance group are they, cos i am only 23 with 3 years no claims.

I currently drive an Astra GSI 2.0 16v which is nice but getting a bit old now. That is group 15 and costs me £900 fully comp.

Well guys i know many questions but i need help.

thanks in Advance

Carl

Hi Carl, welcome to the club.

There's only 3 models to choose from;

S, SE & Sport.

If you want all the toys, then go for the SE or Sport.

SE has heated, elec. seats (leather), elec. roof, headlamp washers, 2 extra speakers, 17" rims and a partially heated front screen.

The Sport adds LSD, tinted rear glass, chrome tailpipe, ally kickplates and pedals, and a lip spoiler. Different grill I think too.

IMHO the SE strikes the best balance as, apart from the LSD, the bits on the Sport are cosmetic and you could add them anytime if you wanted.

Then again, I'm biased 'cos I've got one :tumble:

S & SE are group 12, Sport's group 13. They'll feel a bit sluggish against your Astra.

I think that's it - no doubt someone will correct me if not ;)

yes probably slower but smoooooother and you should be visiting mr dealer a lot less. plus when you do they'll treat you with a bit more respect than the vauxhall boys.

I had a Cavalier 2.0i 16v CDX (135 bhp) which was a bit slower than the IS200 and had things like the fuel tank rusting through by the time it was 4 years old etc etc. Generally it cost me 1000-2000 each year in maintenance so in the end the IS200 won't be any more expensive and it's certainly nicer to drive.

I've gone for an S cause I valued low mileage (18000 and just under 2yr old) etc over toys (for once - all the vauxhall's I've had have been hi-spec, hi-miles and I've paid for it in reliability.) Having owned it for a few months I might have gone for an SE given a second chance though - I like the look of the 17-inch wheels although the 16-inch ones seem to stay a lot cleaner (cause of less space between the spokes?).

cheers guys that a great help sounds like i will be going for the SE model as its sounds like a good all rounder and has everything i need.

Been looking on the net and seen some nice ones. Will have to get some insurance quotes and see how much it would cost to buy one, me astra is probably worth about £2500 if i sold it private so will probably have to save about five for a hefty deposit. Will be a few months yet but the dream will soon turn into reality.

i will keep you all posted as to my progress.

Thanks again

Carl

Welcome to the club Carl,

If you need any tips on what to look for when buying I am sure one of the IS200 chaps will guide you.

They will be happy to answer any of your questions at anytime!

Also we are having a meeting at the end of March so feel free to pop along and have a chat with some IS200 owners!

Keep your eye on the club meeting section of the site to see the location, date and times.

Cheers

Well i won't be buying a Brand new one but it will be quite close probably a couple of years old.

I'm only young and trying to spend my hard earned money wisely.

Can't think of anything more wise to spend it on. Looking at probably around a X Reg or something around that age.

Will have to see what Mr Bank Manager says.

hi carl,welcome to the club,you wont look back after getting an IS200,.......will you be coming along to the meet,it wont matter what car you come in,but maybe some one who is coming ,can give you a lift down,......what bit of the country do you live in....

it would be good to get as many people as possible there,and you will be able to look around the cars as much as you want and find out about them properly

Cheers guys.

I live about 25 minutes away from Manchester near Blackburn.

As for the meet i won't be able to make it cos i'm in Newcastle that weekend, having it large with me mates on a full weekend bender, showing the locals how to have a good time.

But i will make it to one of the next meets as i am really interested in coming and meeting you guys.