Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supercharger Fitting At Jae

RX-Men-8

Shoud I fit the S/C at JAE  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Shoud I fit the S/C at JAE

• Do it, it can be done in a day easy and it'll be fun
    • Don't do it, it'll just rain all day, you'll never get it ready, or it will break down on the way home

you do realise with this many people wanting to help out it will take 5x as long because there will be arguments over which way to do what and where to start

just remember the best time to start the job is not at 2 in the morning under a lamp full of beer :winky: :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tamper-proof torx bits kept me thinking today... First called around, no-one selling them near me. On the internet a couple of manufacturers were listed. Mac Tools, Snap-on, S-K Tools. Also found this:

Ebay

Now I was wondering what size is needed, so I went to investigate tonight (click pics).

Big gaping hole :P DSCF2633.thumb.jpg

ECU box DSCF2632.thumb.jpg

ECU box w/o cover DSCF2631.thumb.jpg

ECU plugs DSCF2630.thumb.jpg

ECU box - empty DSCF2629.thumb.jpg

ECU - backside DSCF2628.thumb.jpg

ECU - front cover DSCF2625.thumb.jpg

ECU - PCB backside DSCF2626.thumb.jpg

ECU - PCB frontside DSCF2627.thumb.jpg

Hey, wait a minute - no anti-tamper torx? The whole box looked and felt like it had never been opened, and the bolts and screws were seized really tight. But just ordinary crosspoint screws. One less problem then. I wonder where the piggyback module would be connected. Seems like a soldering job?

Plugged everything back in, car purred like a charm like before. I guess now I've made an ECU reset. It's great working on these cars, really well put together :) .

RFC,

RX-Men-8

P.S. Full res pics at Euro Gallery

well i dont mind helping, i have removed completely and re fitted mine completely twice now.

Main thing to remember is plenty of thread lock compound, i have some great stuff that looks like a "pritt stick" clue dispenser, as its a wax like compound it doesnt drip on your face if you use too much and work with the bolt over your head!

i have a full tool kit with all the security torx screw heads etc plus 2 of every size sockets that i will bring with me.

anything i can do to help i will

Thanks guys! I've also received TTE fitting instructions (thanks Andi, very insightful). So I may just do some preparations like cutting away the fan casing supports to make room for the intercooler pipes, ans the plastic bits like engine covers and wheel well covers. It may save some time and it may mean that I don't have to prop up the car on axle stands at JAE.

Looking forward to it :)

RX-Men-8

Thanks guys!  I've also received TTE fitting instructions (thanks Andi, very insightful).  So I may just do some preparations like cutting away the fan casing supports to make room for the intercooler pipes, ans the plastic bits like engine covers and wheel well covers.  It may save some time and it may mean that I don't have to prop up the car on axle stands at JAE.

RX-Men-8

Now that's a seriously good idea. Any prep you can do upfront will make the install easier on the day...

also maybe drive the car up to JAE without the undertray on !! that would make life even easier.

I do have a set of the Blue mini car ramps that would easily fit into my boot. although you would need to take the front bumper off to get it up on them. but you need to take it off anyway to fit the intercooler!

Thanks guys!  I've also received TTE fitting instructions (thanks Andi, very insightful).  So I may just do some preparations like cutting away the fan casing supports to make room for the intercooler pipes, ans the plastic bits like engine covers and wheel well covers.  It may save some time and it may mean that I don't have to prop up the car on axle stands at JAE.

RX-Men-8

Good idea :D but You will still need the axle stands :D and someone thin to go under your car :lol:

RX-Men-8

Good idea :D but You will still need the axle stands :D and someone thin to go under your car :lol:

but if i bring the car ramps then it will be a lot safer for anyone under the car. as the load is a lot more distributed

RX-Men-8

i wouldnt cut anything mate,wait till jae and the lads will sort it.like gorg says you dont have to remove the radiator,that bits easy. :)

RX-Men-8

but if i bring the car ramps then it will be a lot safer for anyone under the car. as the load is a lot more distributed

Please do, as I'm not sure what kind of surface we'll be standing. Together with the stands and jack I''m pretty sure that is enough in any case.

-- Already removed the undertray, will fit it back home.

-- Already removed the necessary fan casing supports (plastic, I could almost snap them with my bare fingers, expected sheet metal :blink: )

-- Temorarily removed the Prolex UK cooling panel (sorry Dave, it'll go back on at home)

-- Moved the cooling pipes in front of the radiator up and out of the way, with a nice set of custom fit brackets if I may say so.

Well, not much of a headstart, but it seems very doable at JAE. I'll have to think about soldering (ECU) with no mains outlet, I think there are these nifty gas-heated soldering irons.

Thanks,

RX-Men-8

in mainland europe the anti tamper screws are not fitted, only in UK i believe - the bits are normally only sold to security firms/recognised garages. I wont be crawling under any car if I come to JAE i can sit at the side and point tho!

in mainland europe the anti tamper screws are not  fitted,  only in UK i believe - the bits are normally only sold to security firms/recognised garages.  I wont be crawling under any car if I come to JAE i can sit at the side and point tho!

Rob, what are you going to be pointing at :D we still need someone to go under the car :D

in mainland europe the anti tamper screws are not  fitted,  only in UK i believe - the bits are normally only sold to security firms/recognised garages.   I wont be crawling under any car if I come to JAE i can sit at the side and point tho!

Rob, what are you going to be pointing at :D we still need someone to go under the car :D

fidgits ......he can stand up under there :lol::lol::whistling:

in mainland europe the anti tamper screws are not  fitted,  only in UK i believe - the bits are normally only sold to security firms/recognised garages.   I wont be crawling under any car if I come to JAE i can sit at the side and point tho!

fidgits ......he can stand up under there :lol::lol::whistling:

:whistling:

Yes - Ian would fit with room to spare - but he wouldn't be able to stand still ong enough to actual be any use once under there ... :hehe: