Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Throttle Cable Spacer

Mr Morse

Been reading on IS.net about a mod to the throttle cable where it connects to the accelerator pedal - it seems to improve the throttle response by overriding the effect of the spring that sits between the two washers at the end of the cable.

The guys on IS.net are all raving about it as the best "free" mod they've ever done, vastly improving bottom end throttle response.

It's HERE from about thread 20 in.....

Anyone over here done this? :question:

It looks really simple to do! :D

I'm off to get a piece of 5/8" fuel hose tomorrow

Edited by Mr Morse

Alright - I've just fitted this mod and it is one of the easiest and, Pound for Pound, probably the MOST EFFECTIVE! :D

I'm not mechanical guru but it took me less than 10 minutes in total, from cutting the pipe to taping it up. A little awkward do reach, but you don't even need to remove any trim. If a FB like me can do it, a smaller framed individual will have no problem. :blink:

The results are immediately apparent - throttle lag is almost completely reduced, the response is instantly crisp and you have instant power at your boot. No increase in BHP with this mod but well worth a crack! :D

There is some minor increase in vibration but I had this anyway from the Typhoon and the benefits outweigh the downside. :whistling:

I have a bunch of hose left (they sell it by the foot) and will bring some precut pieces along to JAE for anyone who wants some. But since it's as cheap as chips you'll all be going down to the car spares store tomorrow anyway...... :winky:

I am not sure if it's the same for the IS200/Tezza but a quick look will confirm

Materials needed:

length of 5/8" OD radiator hose

Insulating tape or cable ties

1) Cut a 11-12mm length of hose and trim it square to use as the spacer

2) Make a slit length ways down the spacer

3) Poke your head inside the footwell and locate the throttle cable attachment - there is a small spring located between two washers

4) Snap the spacer around the spring

5) Secure the spacer with either insulating tape or cable ties

6) ENJOY :D :D :D

gallery_8450_122_19318.jpg

gallery_8450_122_24090.jpg

gallery_8450_122_21900.jpg

kool.

seems to various ways to do this mod.

i'm going to try the hose clamp (jublee) way.

be right back!

I'll give the jubilee clip method a crack tomorrow just as a comparison. It's probably a more secure method but may produce more vibration.

Well, looks like it won't work on the Altezza, there is no spring!

No spring on my '200 either. There is a rubber but it only compresses a few mm before taking the load. I have got about 6mm play in the cable which I'll look at but I don't think there is the improvement suggested for the '300.

Well, looks like it won't work on the Altezza, there is no spring!

No spring on my '200 either. There is a rubber but it only compresses a few mm before taking the load. I have got about 6mm play in the cable which I'll look at but I don't think there is the improvement suggested for the '300.

Exactly same here :)

Sorry guys!

But there is still some good info on that thread on the benefits of tightening your throttle cable

BTW this mod should work for GS300mk2 drivers

so not worth it for the is200 anyone tried it yet?

sorry .. gettin a bit lost here, so does the IS200 have the spring or no?

I gathered from above, the Tezza doesnt ....

Just bein a bit lazy, cos my car is not parked at my home .. so I can't just walk out and look at it :P ....

For sure I hope there is one... cos that would explain the unresponsive pedal. I had always just thought that it was an inherent problem with drive-by-wire systems.

Any IS200-ers looked yet?

Alright - I've just fitted this mod and it is one of the easiest and, Pound for Pound, probably the MOST EFFECTIVE!  :D

I'm not mechanical guru but it took me less than 10 minutes in total, from cutting the pipe to taping it up. A little awkward do reach, but you don't even need to remove any trim. If a FB like me can do it, a smaller framed individual will have no problem.  :blink:

The results are immediately apparent - throttle lag is almost completely reduced, the response is instantly crisp and you have instant power at your boot. No increase in BHP with this mod but well worth a crack!  :D

There is some minor increase in vibration but I had this anyway from the Typhoon and the benefits outweigh the downside.  :whistling:

I have a bunch of hose left (they sell it by the foot) and will bring some precut pieces along to JAE for anyone who wants some. But since it's as cheap as chips you'll all be going down to the car spares store tomorrow anyway...... :winky:

I am not sure if it's the same for the IS200/Tezza but a quick look will confirm

Materials needed:

3) Poke your head inside the footwell and locate the throttle cable attachment - there is a small spring located between two washers

6) ENJOY  :D  :D  :D

A quality presentation - I have no idea how it works but will try it soon.

Alright - I've just fitted this mod and it is one of the easiest and, Pound for Pound, probably the MOST EFFECTIVE!  :D

I'm not mechanical guru but it took me less than 10 minutes in total, from cutting the pipe to taping it up. A little awkward do reach, but you don't even need to remove any trim. If a FB like me can do it, a smaller framed individual will have no problem.  :blink:

The results are immediately apparent - throttle lag is almost completely reduced, the response is instantly crisp and you have instant power at your boot. No increase in BHP with this mod but well worth a crack!  :D

There is some minor increase in vibration but I had this anyway from the Typhoon and the benefits outweigh the downside.  :whistling:

Materials needed:

6) ENJOY  :D  :D  :D

HAve read the IS forum, and I think your use of a rubber hose seems far better than their hard plastic effort. The rubber hose will absorb somoe of that vibration - genius.

Going to be a complete ar** Mike - where did you get the radiator hose?? :duh:

no spring on my 200, just a rubber thingy. maybe could do with stiffing up a little tho

thanx .... damn .. i was really hoping it had one! .... i guess taping it up a bit would stiffen it up a little? .... but i dont think it would have that much affect .. since a piece of rubber (small one) would have minimal "give" ....