Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Throttle Cable Spacer

Mr Morse

thanx .... damn .. i was really hoping it had one! .... i guess taping it up a bit would stiffen it up a little? .... but i dont think it would have that much affect .. since a piece of rubber (small one) would have minimal "give" ....

You can still take up some slack in the cable by tightening it at the throttle body. This would make it feel 'more responsive' enough to keep most people happy. In fact if a few people claimed it gave hp increases we'd probably find some people believing it.

How is that done then mate???

In 'simpleton' terms!!!!!

Not sure in the 200 but on the 300 it means taking off the engine cover and then adjusting the slack in the cable by untightening the two bolts that secure the cable, pull in the slack and then retighten the bolts.

Err is this not the same as a fast throttle setup that some older cars had. Some cars in the past used to open the throttle half way when the pedal was only 1/4 down to make them feel faster on test drives and when you weren't really trying.

All your doing is taking some play out of the system and I would expect fuel consumption to increase.....

Err is this not the same as a fast throttle setup that some older cars had. Some cars in the past used to open the throttle half way when the pedal was only 1/4 down to make them feel faster on test drives and when you weren't really trying.

All your doing is taking some play out of the system and I would expect fuel consumption to increase.....

Exactly my point. We could sell it as a performance mod 'cause if you're using more fuel you must be generating more power! ;)

Back to reality though, if you've tightened it to the point that the throttle is opening when the pedal is at rest then you've gone too far. Removing the slack (not over tightening) will have no effect on fuel consumption, unless you continue to press your foot to the same degree rather than listen to the engine and control your foot position based on that...

The head mechanic in Charles hurst Toyota told me that the throttle cable on the IS200 was only there as a back up system and was never actually used. This was because of the "electronic throttle" being operated by motors and not cable.

I would say that you are likely to damage your throttle motor by overriding it in this way. Then it will break and lights will appear on the dash!!!!! which you don't want.

Just a though but I may be wrong.

Oh........I hate the deley and unresponsiveness too so I am open to all suggestions if somebody figures this out!!!

Mike,

Did it, easypeesy.

When I started the car up, I almost put the car into the wall, when I touched the accelerator, before I got used to it!! The pick up is very good. No 'lag' anymore.

A good mod all round.

The head mechanic in Charles hurst Toyota told me that the throttle cable on the IS200 was only there as a back up system and was never actually used. This was because of the "electronic throttle" being operated by motors and not cable.

I would say that you are likely to damage your throttle motor by overriding it in this way. Then it will break and lights will appear on the dash!!!!! which you don't want.

Oh........I hate the deley and unresponsiveness too so I am open to all suggestions if somebody figures this out!!!

There is no way this mod will damage the engine - all it is doing is preventing compression in the spring. Check the thread on IS.net

• 2 weeks later...

Posted mainly for the benefit of Scarface, but also anyone else who has tried this mod.

I checked the rubber spacer earlier and found that the tape securing it in place had become loose, allowing the spring to become compressed when booting the throttle. This is why you couldn't tell any difference when you test drove it last weekend.

Anyway, I removed the original spacer and tape and replaced it with a single cable tie (14mm x 3mm with a 6mm lock) between the end of the spring and the retaining clip towards the engine side. No movement at all in the spring now and the cable tie keeps it well secured.

I also removed the engine cover and took out approx 3mm of slack in the throttle cable by adjusting the two 14mm nuts at the throttle body. I did this while the engine was warm and running to make sure I wasn't pulling in too much slack.

Now I have instant throttle response just from dabbing the pedal ever so lightly.

Try it mate and then tell me you can't tell the difference!

Throttle cable mod MkII:

gallery_8450_122_20626.jpg

not True, the cable acts exactly like a cable, only difference is the actuation at the throttle body end, where there are several sensors, which via the ecu adjusyt the throttle position to that required for road speed, load and other smaller factors.

if there is a fault, the cable reverts fully back to cable action.

the slack is there as the throttle is Powered due to ^ and therefore the slack is required in the cable.

those that have superchargers fitted, can view the powered throttle actuator, when the get a buddy to rev the engine, as p[art of the throttle actuaotor operates the Supercharger bypass, via its cable connected at the throttle...

thank you

goodnight

• 12 years later...
  • 3 years later...