Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private Plates...what Happens If Car Stolen ?

fergy

Had a laugh at my mates wife...he was away on business and thought she'd had her car stolen as it was not outside her door in morning, reported to Police etc and then remembered she had taken it to the doctors...and could not remember driving it home. Sure enough it was parked outside doctors.

So...mate was worried for a short time...and was wondering how he'd get the private plate back if stolen...anyone any ideas ? Do the DVLA just issue you with a new certificate ?

If the car is stolen then recovered then you can get your plate back. If the car is stolen and NOT recovered then your plate goes as well. I would think.

If you put it on another car the police would be stopping you because that "Number" is still on the stolen list.

It is something that you would have to take up with DVLA and the insurance Co. Some of these plates cost 1,000s of pounds so maybe the DVLA would allow you to put it on another vehicle. After all the " plate" is yours it does not belong to the car!

Quite a tricky question this. Maybe Scarface could make some enquiries?

if you get the car back you can transfer the plate off if you have told the insurance comp that you wish to retain it

other than that if the car is not recovered after 12 months you can apply to dvla for the number on a reten\certif

if it worked the other way peeps that have paid £20K for a plate would loose them and the dvla would resell then now that would p :tsktsk: s peeps off

Ade :D

Waiting up to a year to get basically what is your own property is not what I expected...

when I tell my mate he'll be glad his wife remembered where he left her car... doubt he'd like idea of having to wait for a year to get his registration back.

there is talk of them bring it down to 6 month it's not just the insurance paying out they are waiting to see if it gets recovered when it is recovered if it's a writeoff you can transfer the plate back but if it's repairable the dvla transfer it to them and then to you and if you have delt with the goverment you will know why it will take a year speedy they are not unless there sending you a fine

Ade :D

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links