Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tein Coilovers

Anees

actually. ... i retract my previous statement.  I did some further testing on an IS with HA on the more stiffer damper setting .... and its surprisingly good.  Sporty yet comfortable.  For the price they retail for, its worth it I think .... even better if you use the standard upper mount, you won't get the noise that comes with the more expensive pillowball mount .....

Thanks Bernard. :D

Unfortunetly the guy selling them has not got back to me yet and he has not relisted them on eBay either. :( I will email him again.

I PM'd Mark@TDI and he sid the Tein HA have now been discontinued.

What was the outcome mate? You going for a set of coilovers?

What was the outcome mate? You going for a set of coilovers?

Adie,

Remember in our PM's I said that I wasn't sure about coilovers - I really wasn't. But the price these were going for has made me do alot of research into them. I am not desperate for a pair but if a set did present themselves at a good price I'd be interested.

The ones imi is selling (Apexi) are fantastic coilovers - I have read the reviews and they are amongst the best. Trouble is you cannot adjust dampening so you are stuck with a pretty hard ride over poor surfaces. :unsure:

With your turbo you would probably be better off looking into a set when you get some spare cash (whenever that may be :P :P ) to finish off your car. Not vital mind but will compliment everything else nicely. :D

With your turbo you would probably be better off looking into a set when you get some spare cash (whenever that may be  :P  :P ) to finish off your car. Not vital mind but will compliment everything else nicely.  :D

Looking in to it at the moment mate. Problem there is so many about and i know nothing about them :blush:

Decisions...decisions :unsure:

With your turbo you would probably be better off looking into a set when you get some spare cash (whenever that may be  :P  :P ) to finish off your car. Not vital mind but will compliment everything else nicely.  :D

Looking in to it at the moment mate. Problem there is so many about and i know nothing about them :blush:

Decisions...decisions :unsure:

A bit OFF TOPIC!! but how is your car going mate, has he fitted the Turbo yet :winky:

The ones imi is selling (Apexi) are fantastic coilovers - I have read the reviews and they are amongst the best. Trouble is you cannot adjust dampening so you are stuck with a pretty hard ride over poor surfaces.  :unsure:

The Apexis can be adjusted, both by height and also the ride quality aswell..

it has 16 presets i think for ride feel..

Quite right mate.

You can adjust the spring height, the strut length and the damping on the Apexi's

Quite right mate.

You can adjust the spring height, the strut length and the damping on the Apexi's

Have you played with the Strut length? My passanger side spring is compressed when i jack the car up, but driver side spring is 1-2" uncompressed!! yet the ride height is level...

Maybe i need to adjust the strut length from the bottom up so... i'm guessing they weren't set before installed on the car.... never thought the bottom C-Nut was did anything (re-bound?)

Bloody Japanese manual/instructions suck! :blush:

Have you played with the Strut length? My passanger side spring is compressed when i jack the car up, but driver side spring is 1-2" uncompressed!! yet the ride height is level...

Maybe i need to adjust the strut length from the bottom up so... i'm guessing they weren't set before installed on the car.... never thought the bottom C-Nut was did anything (re-bound?)

Bloody Japanese manual/instructions suck!  :blush:

Yup I have played with the strut length, slacken off the C-Nut and turn the whole strut and it winds the length up or down, i've got mine set to equal lengths on each pair and the springs equal lengths when the car is jacked up. If you are going to do that make sure the threads are very very clean and lube them a bit with WD40, the threads are so fine that they will lock up easily if any grit gets in.

I have a theory on stopping the knocking that I am going to try out soon.

I set the springs to about 80% of their free length with no load on and then got the ride height I wanted by adjusting the strut length. This means that the spring is compressed with the damper fully extended (topped out) without the cars weight on it. I thought this would stiffen the suspension, but thanks to Matt Clawley I now know the springs are linear rate so all I have done is reduced the suspension travel. The knocking could be the damper "topping out".

Plan is to take the pre-load off the springs, measuring how much the spring extends, and lengthen the struts by the same amount to get the car at the same height as it is now. This will give more upward suspension travel from the static position and hopefully get rid of the knocks.

Will post up if it works

I'll be interested to hear about your results Neil. My R/NS is knocking like a ba$tard now  :yack:

All mine knock I think, hard to tell as there is so much noise off em :crybaby:

Will try tomorrow if Mrs Mac lets me out to play :D

If you do get coilvers i'd get the Apexis over ANY other ones you have been offered/looked at

Whys that mate? I've heard that the TTE ones are the better ones and you dont get the knocking either.

I just meant of the ones he has been offered as I didnt think he was in the market for a new set due to the cost? So I was basing that on the Apexis and Teins

if Anees was in the market for a new set then i'd suggest Tein CS for him

Bloody Japanese manual/instructions suck!  :blush:

Yup I have played with the strut length, slacken off the C-Nut and turn the whole strut and it winds the length up or down, i've got mine set to equal lengths on each pair and the springs equal lengths when the car is jacked up. If you are going to do that make sure the threads are very very clean and lube them a bit with WD40, the threads are so fine that they will lock up easily if any grit gets in.

I have a theory on stopping the knocking that I am going to try out soon.

I set the springs to about 80% of their free length with no load on and then got the ride height I wanted by adjusting the strut length. This means that the spring is compressed with the damper fully extended (topped out) without the cars weight on it. I thought this would stiffen the suspension, but thanks to Matt Clawley I now know the springs are linear rate so all I have done is reduced the suspension travel. The knocking could be the damper "topping out".

Plan is to take the pre-load off the springs, measuring how much the spring extends, and lengthen the struts by the same amount to get the car at the same height as it is now. This will give more upward suspension travel from the static position and hopefully get rid of the knocks.

Will post up if it works

Thought as much... Thanks for tips :)

As i don't drive the car much (5000miles in 2 years nearly :lol:) its not been too much concern....

I will have play tomorrow and post my findings...

Oh, i have no knocking noise what so ever.... but my dampings on the softest setting, i.e. 0 clicks!

Quite right mate.

Bloody Japanese manual/instructions suck! :blush:

Thats what the C-nut at the bottom is for :blush: ..............i was takeing a look at my Kei-Office set Coilovers and they have the C-nut at the bottom ............now i know what it is for :whistling:

If you do get coilvers i'd get the Apexis over ANY other ones you have been offered/looked at

Whys that mate? I've heard that the TTE ones are the better ones and you dont get the knocking either.

I just meant of the ones he has been offered as I didnt think he was in the market for a new set due to the cost? So I was basing that on the Apexis and Teins

if Anees was in the market for a new set then i'd suggest Tein CS for him

Thanks Colin. I'm in the market for a set myself but just want to know the best set to get, also cost wise :blush:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links