Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trottle Vibration

leofric32

Dear all,

I am a newbie here. I just got my Altezza RS200 a couple of days ago. It is a 2002 specs. I notice this forum is mainly on Lexus IS200 but I believe both are almost the same car.

I have some questions on the car. I am drive an auto transmission. When i press on the gas pedal i feel great vibration. I have reviewed some of the topic on feeling vibration when you floor the pedal. Anyone has able to resolve this issues?

Is it what it claims to be the characteristic of the car? It feels like you can feel the engine revving hard.

I have changed the ATF and a new tyre and also adjusting the camber to stock setting. The only thing i have not tried is the engine mounting.

Appreciate if anyone that can give me some advise on getting to the root of the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps the previous owner did the throttle cable slack mod with the bit of rubber tubing? There was a post on here about it recently. I think I remember a side effect being increased vibration.

I have a IS200 auto and have experienced a vibration through the accelerator pedal since the car was new.

The dealer (Lexus Birmingham) was not very helpful and described the problem as a characteristic. (Note this was 18 months ago and Lexus B'ham seem more helpful these days).

However I continued to persue the problem with Lexus GB - we found that if you turn off the Air Con ie the compressor the vibration virtually disapears. .......Strange but true!

I've also had very slight vibration from the throttle pedal. It's more of a 'pins and needles' type of vibration and just a characteristic.

It's so slight that I tend to not notice now. Just something I noticed when first changing cars.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the sharing. I will continue to pursue for a solution on this. Will keep it posted if i find any solution to it.

I will also try to off the aircon to see if the vibration will be gone.

Thanks again

I know this doesn't help but I have the same problem on RX300. Do you get the same vibration when you are stationery in drive and turn the steering wheel so power assist kicks in? Just contacted Lexus GB to see what they say.

dear all,

I might found the cause to the trottle vibration especially to my car. I tried to trace the trottle cable in the engine bay. I suspect that the vibration was transferred from the engine to the pedal.

When i trace the cable, i found that it was hold on by two metal clips and one of that was locked to the intake manifold.

I unclip the cable from it and when i was driving home, i did not feel any vibration at all that has been felt in the past.

Another thing i found out about causing vibration is the type or brand of petrol you been using. I have tried numerous brand of petrol in my country and found one that creates smooth rides. I believe with different type of petrol will cause the engine to vibrate less. Thus causing less vibration.

Ultimately, I think it could be caused by the direct transfer of the engine vibration to the pedal.

I hope this help those whom encountered such situation. Let me know if this works.

Thanks for keeping us updated mate.

Make sure you try to use good fuel (98 ron or above) as the Japanese cars are usually mapped for decent fuel.

Let us know how you get on - and post some pictures of your car... :)

Yeah, using 98 octane fuel is paramount, especially the Altezza (3S-GE) because of the 11.5:1 compression rate.

If your pedal vibrates under load and yet smooth when simply cruising, then it could really be traced down to fuel. This vibration could be tell tale sign of the engine "knocking" or "pinging" since it is clipped to the engine.

Related faults:

Clog/faulty MAF sensor

O2 sensor

Yeah, using 98 octane fuel is paramount, especially the Altezza (3S-GE) because of the 11.5:1 compression rate.

If your pedal vibrates under load and yet smooth when simply cruising, then it could really be traced down to fuel. This vibration could be tell tale sign of the engine "knocking" or "pinging" since it is clipped to the engine.

Related faults:

Clog/faulty MAF sensor

O2 sensor

Thanks for the info on possibly fault. I am not too familiar with the technical issues. Can you please help to further explain the "knocking". Have heard of it but not sure what is it.

What damage will it done to the engine?

And what can I do to rectify it?

How do I check the Clog/faulty MAF sensor and O2 sensor whether they are at fault?

Please advise and thanks

Related faults:

Clog/faulty MAF sensor

O2 sensor

Thanks for the info on possibly fault. I am not too familiar with the technical issues. Can you please help to further explain the "knocking". Have heard of it but not sure what is it.

What damage will it done to the engine?

And what can I do to rectify it?

How do I check the Clog/faulty MAF sensor and O2 sensor whether they are at fault?

Please advise and thanks

Wow... alright. Here it goes.

The ron rating on petrol is a guide to how much octane the petrol contains. The higher the ron rating the higher the octane it contains.

Petrol under compression will detonate at a critical pressure (spontaneous combustion). With octane added, the critical pressure point can be increased before detonation occurs. Hence, a higher octane petrol can be compressed more, thus more petrol+more air = more power.

Automobile makers can produce higher rating engines by increasing the compression rate of their engine to make full use of better fuel (100 RON in Japan and 118 RON for JGTC).

However, outside Japan, we can only get 98 RON petrol, which is still acceptable, except that you get less power from the same engine. Anything less you risk uncontrolled detonation.

The effect of "knocking" or "pinging" is that when the engine is in its compression cycle, the fuel got detonated by the compression cycle, but before the compression cycle is completed.

Therefore, on one hand, two cyclinders are forcing two cycliners to compress, the detonation is forcing air to expand in the cyclinders that are being compressed! It will cause premature wear and tear of piston rings, as well as the cyclinder heads, con rod, and many other interlink parts.

Damage is not overnight but sustained over a period of time. Knocking and pinging is the most obvious under high engine load or uphill. A faint ticking/tacking sound can be heard whenever you depress the throttle hard.

If I am not wrong, Malaysia's petrol are mostly 97 RON (claimed), but we need to add some octane booster when we were down at Sepang during track days.

Get your car diagnose by a workshop with OBD first. Or experienced mechanics is able to spot knocking by hearing with or without probe...

I hope my explanation is correct. :tomato:

Wow... alright. Here it goes.

The ron rating on petrol is a guide to how much octane the petrol contains. The higher the ron rating the higher the octane it contains.

Petrol under compression will detonate at a critical pressure (spontaneous combustion). With octane added, the critical pressure point can be increased before detonation occurs. Hence, a higher octane petrol can be compressed more, thus more petrol+more air = more power.

Automobile makers can produce higher rating engines by increasing the compression rate of their engine to make full use of better fuel (100 RON in Japan and 118 RON for JGTC).

However, outside Japan, we can only get 98 RON petrol, which is still acceptable, except that you get less power from the same engine. Anything less you risk uncontrolled detonation.

The effect of "knocking" or "pinging" is that when the engine is in its compression cycle, the fuel got detonated by the compression cycle, but before the compression cycle is completed.

Therefore, on one hand, two cyclinders are forcing two cycliners to compress, the detonation is forcing air to expand in the cyclinders that are being compressed! It will cause premature wear and tear of piston rings, as well as the cyclinder heads, con rod, and many other interlink parts.

Damage is not overnight but sustained over a period of time. Knocking and pinging is the most obvious under high engine load or uphill. A faint ticking/tacking sound can be heard whenever you depress the throttle hard.

If I am not wrong, Malaysia's petrol are mostly 97 RON (claimed), but we need to add some octane booster when we were down at Sepang during track days.

Get your car diagnose by a workshop with OBD first. Or experienced mechanics is able to spot knocking by hearing with or without probe...

I hope my explanation is correct.  :tomato:

Good info that :)

Hi ChiSiang,

Thank you for the offer. How do I get in touch with you? Any PM?

How many members you have in Singapore and how often you guys gather?

I just started to join those group in Malaysia.

You can dial my mobile or drop me a sms @ +65 9199-8881 if you happen to come to Singapore. We are a small group, about regular 10 members and we have weekly meets on every Thursday. :)

Hi ChiSiang,

Thanks for the number. If the timing is right and I happen to be in Singapore, I will give a SMS to see if I could join you.

And if you happened to be in KL, please do SMS me as well. I can be contacted at +6012 2836949.

Yeah, Internet and Forum make the world such a small place.

I just have my first time meeting some Altezza members in KL on Friday night. Nine cars were presence and it was cool to have some enthusiast to meet up.